Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/21/2023 8:35:54 PM EDT
I remember back in the day, E. German bakelites were converted to 5.56, anyone with them that can say how well/if they work in Zastava's or PSA AK's? Also whats involved in the conversion can I buy followers or something and convert some mag's I have?
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 10:41:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Century arms replaced the filler and painted the top 2 inches black.

20 rounds was reliable, after that it was a crap shoot.

18Z50
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 11:56:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Ah ok thanks for the info. Guess I'll have to stick with the Serb mags.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 12:27:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Pod arms sells conversion followers for $16. A guy on ESTY also sells some for $8. I run the commercial Bulgarian ak 74 mags with metal feed lips, metal front and back and they are flawless. My AC unity mags run good too but are showing signs of cracking on the rear end of the feed lips.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:30:03 AM EDT
[#4]
The guy on etsy is good to go, I got 5 of his followers and rand them in the metal reinforced commercial bulgy 74 mags with zero issues. This was in a WBP Jack 5.56
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 12:02:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice I will check out etsy and the other place.

I have some AC Unity mags 5.56 and 7.62 they function good up until they crack, wont buy anymore unless they release a better version.
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 12:22:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 18B30:
Century arms replaced the filler and painted the top 2 inches black.

20 rounds was reliable, after that it was a crap shoot.

18Z50
View Quote

They also cut the feed lips back a bit further.  

With Robinson Arms modified followers they would run perfect with all thirty rounds, so I imagine the newer made followers would also work.  RA no longer sells them.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 6:18:58 AM EDT
[#7]
The POD arms and guy on etsy followers are basically just 3d printed copies of the Robinson arms ones from before. I just swapped the factory followers in the commercial bulgy mags with the 3D printed 5.56 one and they worked perfectly. I loaded 30 rounds in all 5 and they all fed perfectly during slow or rapid fire. The POD arms followers are pretty expensive compared to the etsy ones I think I paid around $40 for 5 followers from etsy because I wanted to test them out next to some Beryl mags I already had because the idea of not having metal reinforced lugs really bothers me.

If you want bakelite 5.56 magazines I’m pretty sure you can swap the followers with no further modifications and be good to go. Bakelite is extremely sexy so I see the appeal!
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 7:07:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I used Pod Arms followers in some East German 5.45 Bakelites for a 5.56 Polish Krink made from a mini beryl host.

Works very well feeds 30 rounds  of 223/5.56 just fine.

With Laminated Wood the orange bakelite really makes the gun shine.

Link Posted: 3/23/2023 12:51:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cherenkov:
I used Pod Arms followers in some East German 5.45 Bakelites for a 5.56 Polish Krink made from a mini beryl host.

Works very well feeds 30 rounds  of 223/5.56 just fine.

With Laminated Wood the orange bakelite really makes the gun shine.

View Quote

I have Walnut M90, and a M85 the bakes will look good on them. With dwindling 5.45 supply thinking about liquidating most of my 5.45 stuff just keep one rifle and dozen mags, and pick up a PSA 101 plum or nutmeg folder.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top