BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 11:32:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn.....Now I can't decide....I was going to go with a stormwerkz rail......

I hate losing my original topcover.

Link Posted: 12/5/2014 12:14:23 AM EDT
[#2]
It is a hard choice for me too.  The TWS cover is easier for me to install with my tools.  But it costs more than the add on rails that attach to the original top cover.  I installed a Stormworkz rail on my Bulgarian Krink top cover.   It was a very hard install, the holes did not go through the rail so hole location was hard, and without a drill press the cover was hard as hell to drill through.  If I get one for my PAP I would remove the factory cover prior to drilling it.  If I get the TWS system I would not want to spend another $40 on the peep sight.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 5:20:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I installed the RFT rail on my M92 PAP factory dust cover. It did not return to zero after opening and closing repeatedly ( with a  2moa red dot), deviations of 3 to 8 MOA. I am sure you would never see the difference if you never installed a Pistol brace or an RDS on your weapon....I'll say this. The TWS DL is head and shoulders above the factory cover and rear sight with a picatinny rail added on as an afterthought.  Open-close 10 times and it holds zero ( within 3 MOA with a 2 moa rds) at 100 yards, repeatedly. This aftermarket add-on is superior to the OEM stuff. I would highly recommend the peep sight .
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 10:31:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Stormwerkz is a permanent modification to a part that is expensive to replace, and is unlikely to be consistently accurate on the factory cover.

TWS requires you to destroy the factory pin, but you can replace it with a $12 quick release pin from Ronin's Grips or CNC Warrior.

Cost issues aside, I feel one is vastly superior to the other.

Quoted:
If I get the TWS system I would not want to spend another $40 on the peep sight.

That's really the downside here.  Also, for people like me with a canted rear sight block, I need a windage adjustable peep to avoid having a front sight that looks like this:

This is an expensive, but viable, solution to my problem, that works with the height of the front sight on the TWS rail:
https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/Gun_Services/item_info.asp?Brand_id=4200&ST=Peep%20Sight%20for%20Weaver%20Style%20Bases
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 7:34:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah I think TWS is the way to go.   Lol, didn't think of being able to reinstall the factory rail with the new bolt   Newb moment.

I have a TWS on an AMD-65 and it's been very good on RTZ, as in less than 1".
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 11:33:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I hope I installed it correctly.  I'm not sure if I like the hinge bolt and nut.  Too tight, and it creaks when opened.  Too loose, and it jiggles. Instructions did not mention thread locker for this part. I'm not sure I got that "sweet spot" in between the two extremes.  Doesn't feel as 'secure' as the covers for standard AKs that use the leaf spring for tension, but that's just an opinion.

Finish is a decent match to the gun itself, though you can still notice the difference.  The picture highlights the color difference more than real life because the receiver is reflecting the ceiling light.  It's not enough to bother me. Pairs well with the Manticore Renegade handguard.

Hopefully it holds zero - the same original design is there, but the different hinge system has me uneasy because I'm unfamiliar with it.

For a bigger photo
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 12:41:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I hope I installed it correctly.  I'm not sure if I like the hinge bolt and nut.  Too tight, and it creaks when opened.  Too loose, and it jiggles. Instructions did not mention thread locker for this part. I'm not sure I got that "sweet spot" in between the two extremes.  Doesn't feel as 'secure' as the covers for standard AKs that use the leaf spring for tension, but that's just an opinion.

Finish is a decent match to the gun itself, though you can still notice the difference.  The picture highlights the color difference more than real life because the receiver is reflecting the ceiling light.  It's not enough to bother me. Pairs well with the Manticore Renegade handguard.

Hopefully it holds zero - the same original design is there, but the different hinge system has me uneasy because I'm unfamiliar with it.

http://i.imgur.com/yKi9wL2.jpg

For a bigger photo
View Quote

That's a good looking rifle.  What handguard(s) is that?
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 2:30:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 3:06:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 9:19:34 PM EDT
[#10]
finally got her done. if anyone is having trouble removing the hinge pin, here's a great write up to guide you through it. takes about 5 mins = http://blog.roninsgrips.com/?p=390

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa418/Vdub804/1231141956.jpg
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 11:49:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/yKi9wL2.jpg

For a bigger photo
View Quote

A bit of experimentation and i got mine to what feels perfect to me. No creak and definitely no slop
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top