Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 9:38:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I dont understand whats up with the mask. Everyone knows they're russian.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 9:41:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Another one of that Obzor

Link Posted: 3/3/2014 10:06:56 AM EDT
[#3]

"I dont understand whats up with the mask. Everyone knows they're russian."

It's cold.

Link Posted: 3/3/2014 10:25:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Another one of that Obzor

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/guitarslinger213/media/Ukraine1_zps17821744.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/guitarslinger213/Ukraine1_zps17821744.jpg</a>
View Quote

Ladies love men in uniform.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 10:26:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It's cold.  
View Quote

It's about 30 degrees - nobody in Russia wears balaklavas in that kind of weather.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 10:28:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 10:31:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Mask stays on, even for the chicks.

Link Posted: 3/3/2014 10:34:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Everone else isnt wearing anything on there face. Hell even the kids are not. There hiding there idenity for some reason.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 10:47:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It's cold.  
View Quote

It's mostly a cool guy/tradition thing.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 10:53:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Hell, after what happened in Kiev, I don't know that I'd want to show my face in photos in case stuff goes poorly for my side.  "No, I wasn't posted there, I have no idea what you're talking about."

At the same time, all the happy-photos-with-locals make good PR and the Russians can point to them and say, "no, the people are very happy to see us, look how friendly our soldiers are!"

Anyway, some excellent gear photos out of a bad situation.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 11:02:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Pretty sure we've seen:

4x24 PSO on the long rifles.
Obzor 1P63's on some of the better equipped Russian AK's
Maybe a couple of Rakurs too.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not up on my current Russian optics, what are we seeing in the pics so far? I see at least 4 or 5 different scopes on the AKs.

Pretty sure we've seen:

4x24 PSO on the long rifles.
Obzor 1P63's on some of the better equipped Russian AK's
Maybe a couple of Rakurs too.

There were at least a couple of 1P78 Kashtan optics in the pics as well.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 11:44:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 3/3/2014 11:57:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would think intimidation, some of those guys look mean as all get out with those masks on.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 12:12:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I would think intimidation, some of those guys look mean as all get out with those masks on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

truth.

go put a ski mask on and look at yourself in the mirror, chances are you look meaner that without it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 12:24:35 PM EDT
[#15]
With all of the cell phone cameras, soldiers probably don't want to be implicated for war crimes. I'm assuming??
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 1:08:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
With all of the cell phone cameras, soldiers probably don't want to be implicated for war crimes. I'm assuming??
View Quote

It isn't their problem... they are just following orders.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 1:50:16 PM EDT
[#17]
AKMS

Preparing for something...

Link Posted: 3/3/2014 1:52:15 PM EDT
[#18]

looks like a junkyard dog wanting a fight

VSS and I'd bet a SVDS on the back

Link Posted: 3/3/2014 1:56:50 PM EDT
[#19]
This has turned out to be a good thread for all the 74M clone crew.

I'm hoping someone will post pics of their 2014 Ukrainian conflict rifle with a shiny cleaning rod and well worn brake.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 2:28:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm hoping someone will post pics of their 2014 Ukrainian conflict rifle with a shiny cleaning rod and well worn brake.
View Quote

Can't wait for this thread.

"Best method for relic'ing my cleaning rod?"

Hi, I only use carbon rods on my AK, so the included rod doesn't get any use.  I'm afraid to scratch the barrel.  What's the best way to make it look used?  

Link Posted: 3/3/2014 2:30:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Stop reading my mind.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Hate to say it, but I'm digging on that Russian green "fleck" camo.  Probably more so than the rest of the gear.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 3:45:26 PM EDT
[#23]
So are those Ukrainians inside the gate and Russians outside the gate?
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 3:49:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

yes
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 3:55:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, the Ukrainians are basically trapped in their posts, surrounded by the Russians.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 3:57:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Are any russian troops issued milled ak's? I understand these are 74m's, but any specific group that uses the milled receiver variety?
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 4:01:31 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Hate to say it, but I'm digging on that Russian green "fleck" camo.  Probably more so than the rest of the gear.
View Quote

I like it too, I reckon it could be quite good for hunting around my neck of the woods... Hmmm...
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 4:02:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Are any russian troops issued milled ak's? I understand these are 74m's, but any specific group that uses the milled receiver variety?
View Quote

Russia hasn't made a milled receiver AK since the 1960's.. so I really doubt any part of their military is still using that rifle.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 4:19:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Russia hasn't made a milled receiver AK since the 1960's.. so I really doubt any part of their military is still using that rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Milled receivers are a 'Murican thing. From a practical standpoint, they are inferior.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 5:05:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Ányone have an explaination for the hodge podge of gear and customization of rifles in these pics? These guys look more like contractors than regular army. Not saying they are just surprised by the degree soldiers have tailored their load outs.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 5:31:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Ányone have an explaination for the hodge podge of gear and customization of rifles in these pics? These guys look more like contractors than regular army. Not saying they are just surprised by the degree soldiers have tailored their load outs.
View Quote

Seems like if you aren't issued it, you can buy it if you really want to. That said, I've no factual basis for my statement. I did find it interesting the degree of parts from the new zenit stuff to the CAA polymer handguard set / AVG.

It's really speculation unless someone here knows one of em.

ETA: I find it interesting that on the 7.62 rifles one will find steel or Bakelite mags. I would expect to see an AK103 mag, but I guess they don't come with the old stock AKMS's they have.

ETA 2: it's also interesting to see 7.62 there at all. Makes sense for the chap carrying the suppressed rifle; however, in reading up on the Chechnya conflicts, despite the love for the 5.45, they felt the need to have some 7.62 rifles in the mix during urbanish operations. Even in the most recent pics of Russian troops in the Caucasus regions you can find quite a bit of 104's in service.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 5:35:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This. Milled receivers are a 'Murican thing. From a practical standpoint, they are inferior.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dragunov's are milled, but not Kalashnikovs
Milled receivers are also a VERY Bulgarian thing as they still make them
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 5:42:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Seems like if you aren't issued it, you can buy it if you really want to. That said, I've no factual basis for my statement. I did find it interesting the degree of parts from the new zenit stuff to the CAA polymer handguard set / AVG.

ETA: I find it interesting that on the 7.62 rifles one will find steel or Bakelite mags. I would expect to see an AK103 mag, but I guess they don't come with the old stock AKMS's they have.

ETA 2: it's also interesting to see 7.62 there at all. Makes sense for the chap carrying the suppressed rifle; however, in reading up on the Chechnya conflicts, despite the love for the 5.45, they felt the need to have some 7.62 rifles in the mix during urbanish operations. Even in the most recent pics of Russian troops in the Caucasus regions you can find quite a bit of 104's in service.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the movies Russia made of the 2008 Georgia conflict the uber bad asses carry an AKM with bakelite mags. Seems to be an affection for them at least in film.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 5:46:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Maybe I am blind but where is their insignia , anything for that matter that indicates they are Russian? Seems they have been  sanitized
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 5:51:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Maybe I am blind but where is their insignia , anything for that matter that indicates they are Russian? Seems they have been  sanitized
View Quote

Yes they are sanitized.

Yes they are Russian.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 5:58:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yes they are sanitized.

Yes they are Russian.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes they are sanitized.

Yes they are Russian.

Yes they are sanitized.
AND it is being reported that they are Russian military.
Note : Crimea was full of Russians and Russian military before all this. The Russians lease a port there. And nearly 70% of the civilians are ethnic Russians.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 6:32:21 PM EDT
[#37]
I want some camo or web gear now.

What's a good source
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 6:47:57 PM EDT
[#38]

Always time for selfies......

And shopping.....
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 6:51:25 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View Quote

You'll find a similar variety of optics and kit in the US Army. I snapped this picture in Afghanistan:

From top to CCO, impact card unit purchased Leupold, private purchase ACOG with JPoint.
You'll also find Eotechs, MARS sights (No really,) issue ACOGs (with and without micro red dots,) Schmidt Benders, etc.

Link Posted: 3/3/2014 6:51:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What's a good source
View Quote

soviet-propaganda.com (or .net can't remember)

Great source for gear and stuff, I could spend a fortune there.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

What's a good source
View Quote

http://www.rusmilitary.com/
"01.03.14 As seen on TV - "unidentified gunmen" in Crimea wear Russian Digital Flora BDU (£84) and carry AK-74M assault rifles (£595) and PKM machne guns (from £1,635)"
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 8:27:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm scouring my SGL-31 with steel wool as I type
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 8:34:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Did Sr. General, I mean I'm in Charge Puttin make a deadline for the Ukrainian military to vacate Crimea today?
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 8:36:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's a good source

This.

http://www.soviet-propaganda.com/

I purchase most of my Russian gear here. Either that or ebay. They have Gorka's, Smersh, 6sh-xxx vests, etc.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 11:29:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

What's a good source
View Quote

Size chart here:

http://www.tridentmilitary.com/size-chart.html
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 2:30:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Circle 10  AK in Illinois sells web gear now...
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 5:04:33 AM EDT
[#47]
A little blurry, but a good close up video of gear.

http://news.sky.com/story/1220477/ukraine-russian-troops-fire-warning-shots
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 7:28:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

AMERICA STANDS WITH US!

Funny how everyone talks shit about us until rounds are about to go downrange.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 11:54:14 AM EDT
[#49]
I for one, hope that this settles peacefully. I have friends from both sides of this fence. Shitty situation all around. I am digging the cool pics though.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 3:55:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Milled receivers are a 'Murican thing. From a practical standpoint, they are inferior.
View Quote

Not true at all ... they just cost more.
Page / 5
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top