Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2017 10:37:10 AM EDT
Who offers carbine classes with engagement ranges 200-300 yards as a course average?

25 yard mag dumps are fun but...it's a RIFLE....after all....

Making hits on man sized targets at those distances should be fairly easy with quality gear but almost nobody teaches that sort of course. The only ones I'm aware of are Gunsite and Valor Ridge....Thunder Ranch has a course with a longer range component to it- out to 700 yards.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 1:40:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 50-140] [#1]
The 223 Gunsite class I took was not an example of 250-300 yds. as a course average.

Out of five days there were three drills which went out to 250 and 300, about 30 minutes each.

Of course that's only indicative of the particular class I took, things may have changed.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 5:30:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 50-140:
The 223 Gunsite class I took was not an example of 250-300 yds. as a course average.

Out of five days there were three drills which went out to 250 and 300, about 30 minutes each.

Of course that's only indicative of the particular class I took, things may have changed.
View Quote
I thought their advanced Carbine class offered some longer distances but it may just be more scenarios......I know their "battle rifle" class does extend things and that may be what I was thinking of.

It just seems silly to think of shooting 100 yards as "long range"...especially with the weapons and ammo etc....we have today. Jesus, what a guy like Timothy Murphy could have done with a rack grade AR15 and a 1-4x optic....
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 8:51:25 PM EDT
[#3]
“Dock” Spears of Forge Tactical is teaching intermediate Carbine at Alliance, Ohio:

https://forgetactical.com/courses/intermediate-distance-carbine-aug-4-alliance/
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 2:49:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I saw Frank Proctor has an intermediate distance carbine class coming up in January. Eastaboga, AL. Ranges will be from 50-450 yards with varying terrain.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 4:08:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Will:
Who offers carbine classes with engagement ranges 200-300 yards as a course average?
Thunder Ranch has a course with a longer range component to it- out to 700 yards.
View Quote
I think this (Long Range Scoped AR-15) would be a good match for what you seek.
This course will extend the distance of your AR platform out to 700 yards with primary focus inside of Danger Close distance (0-300).
View Quote
I have taken Urban Rifle and Urban Precision Rifle multiple times. The latter is still primarily done within the 100 yard range, at targets of decreasing size over the 3 days. I think we might have gone out to their longer range on the 3rd day, to do a little bit of work out to ~250 yards.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 10:09:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Insights IDR

Everything from 5 yards to 600 yards.  There are military style butts at the range, so you do movers too.  Your buddy runs with the target.  So much awesomeness.

Link Posted: 6/3/2018 10:24:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Overtorque:
Insights IDR

Everything from 5 yards to 600 yards.  There are military style butts at the range, so you do movers too.  Your buddy runs with the target.  So much awesomeness.

View Quote
Why the ducking emoji? Hamilton is a fantastic instructor. I took basic carbine from him. Would like to go back for IDR.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 11:44:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I just like the emoji.  Seemed appropriate when writing about running with a target in the rifle butts.  No criticism expressed or implied.

Greg is badass, no doubt.  I think there is one more slot available for IDR...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top