Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2021 9:39:45 AM EDT
My son has astigmatism in his right eye we found it screws up his shooting I was told that I need to teach him to shoot left handed .

I'm a lefty who just always shot right handed so I'm not sure how to go about this I'm getting him a left handed bolt action rifle in 22lr it's what he needs to qualify with for his merit badge in Scouts.

I'm looking for advice and help as I'm not sure how to teach him. I thought about covering his right eye and having him shoot a 100 rounds each time we go out. Yet like to hear what you all have to say. Thank!
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 9:48:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm right handed but left eye dominate, I've shot left hand since a little kid. Never had a left hand rifle. When I started shooting skeet I started using cast on shotguns (left hand). Beretta shotgun are left hand friendly, even the right hand gun stocks can be changed the cast on. I've had custom bolt action rifles built and had them set up as right hand because that is what I'm used to.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 10:06:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't completely cover the right eye.  Cover the lens of his shooting glasses with opaque Scotch tape.  This way he still gets light coming into the eye and fuzzy vision, keeping his pupils properly tight.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 11:20:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By intheburbs:
Don't completely cover the right eye.  Cover the lens of his shooting glasses with opaque Scotch tape.  This way he still gets light coming into the eye and fuzzy vision, keeping his pupils properly tight.
View Quote

That's a good idea! Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 12:23:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I shoot with both hands and eyes, I started shooting left handed.  This is with handgun, shotgun, and rifle.

The only adjustments I have had to make is adding an ambi safety.  

It the 20 years of taking formal classes I have only had one fellow student in a class have to cover their dominate eye (tape inside their shooting glasses) this was because she could not close her dominate eye and shot with the other hand.  Unless your son can not close his right eye and hold it shut while shooting you may not have to tape his glasses.

He will more than likely shoot better, not just because of his eye, but becasue he is changing working side of his body.  It feels awkward, which forces you to concentrate on the basics (Grip, Stance, Sight Alignment Sight Picture, Trigger Control).  

Practice 5 round dry, then 5 live rounds.  I see many newer shooters at the range that have large groups; they are getting frustrated; I tell them the above after showing them how to dry practice.  Their groups shrink rapidly.  

It may also help that you start shooting right handed.  Thus you are learning from the base up on a new skill too.  It will help you figure out how to help him learn.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top