Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 36
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 7:51:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By firewithfire:
Well two days ago I received my blue belt. I was one of the few that did get formally tested (think my 3 instructors have been testing me and keeping tabs during open mat) so I wasn't really expecting it.  I guess the journey can actually begin now and try to survive. Don't know what to think still and I honestly don't feel that I was ready.
View Quote
Congrats dood.
Watch out for the white belts they’re gonna come after you now.
Link Posted: 1/19/2018 11:09:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By navvet89:
So I've been thinking about my game as an older guy and it's significantly different than most of my training partners.

I've been rolling with a guy that's 15 years my junior and I have 20+ years on 90% of the class (and its a big class).

I'm a big dude, nearly 50 years old, 5' 10", 225lbs, (18" neck, 34/35 sleeve, 46R in a suit coat)

Thoughts from an old guy:
1) I've realized my technique is much more focused, I study and target high percentage submissions, sweeps, etc. and avoid wasting effort on low percentage techniques.

2) Timing is a critical focus for me, instead of trying to muscle a technique or throwing something in randomly to see if it works, I "hold the pattern" and make minor adjustments and try to lead my opponent into making a mistake and creating an opportunity for me to go to the next step. This is very subtle and may be as simple as making a little space in a certain direction to bait them into moving that way or creating an opening in my defense to get them to commit. The key here is that I know where I want them to go and what I will do when they get there.

3) More athletic/younger guys try to "scramble", throwing everything they have at a quick pace and moving on to the next thing if it doesn't work. I counter this with "grind them down" strategy. If I have superior position I'll try to contain and threaten them so they struggle and gas out. If I'm inferior but not seriously threatened (on bottom, in guard, etc.) I try to control their posture and movement to protect myself and either open up a sweep or sub from there.

4) Trips and "off balance" maneuvers are a thing, the less violent the better, I prefer small movements to large ones and the simplicity can be deceptive.

5) My favorite subs are:
various arm bars, americana, kimura, various lapel chokes (cross collar, baseball, paper cutter, bow and arrow), ezekial from various positions, toe holds, knee bars, ankle locks and I study wrist locks extensively because old age and treachery will often overcome youth and skill

In short, subtle and sneaky is my thing, the less effort involved and the quicker I can get it done the better.
View Quote
Im 40 and I like this
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 11:48:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: navvet89] [#3]
Originally Posted By TheDevilYouLove:
Im 40 and I like this
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
So I've been thinking about my game as an older guy and it's significantly different than most of my training partners.

I've been rolling with a guy that's 15 years my junior and I have 20+ years on 90% of the class (and its a big class).

I'm a big dude, nearly 50 years old, 5' 10", 225lbs, (18" neck, 34/35 sleeve, 46R in a suit coat)

1) I've realized my technique is much more focused, I study and target high percentage submissions, sweeps, etc. and avoid wasting effort on low percentage techniques.

2) Timing is a critical focus for me, instead of trying to muscle a technique or throwing something in randomly to see if it works, I "hold the pattern" and make minor adjustments and try to lead my opponent into making a mistake and creating an opportunity for me to go to the next step. This is very subtle and may be as simple as making a little space in a certain direction to bait them into moving that way or creating an opening in my defense to get them to commit. The key here is that I know where I want them to go and what I will do when they get there.

3) More athletic/younger guys try to "scramble", throwing everything they have at a quick pace and moving on to the next thing if it doesn't work. I counter this with "grind them down" strategy. If I have superior position I'll try to contain and threaten them so they struggle and gas out. If I'm inferior but not seriously threatened (on bottom, in guard, etc.) I try to control their posture and movement to protect myself and either open up a sweep or sub from there.

4) Trips and "off balance" maneuvers are a thing, the less violent the better, I prefer small movements to large ones and the simplicity can be deceptive.

5) My favorite subs are:
various arm bars, americana, kimura, various lapel chokes (cross collar, baseball, paper cutter, bow and arrow), ezekial from various positions, toe holds, knee bars, ankle locks and I study wrist locks extensively because old age and treachery will often overcome youth and skill

In short, subtle and sneaky is my thing, the less effort involved and the quicker I can get it done the better.
Im 40 and I like this
Yeah it's a different game for older guys. I rolled with a 30yo no-stripe white belt last week that was about my size, dude was strong. I was in his guard and he just kept trying the same 3 grip setups for a sweep, I spent the first three minutes just breaking his grips over and over again. Same guy was lecturing two other new guys tonight on how to do arm bars

I passed on the wrist lock a half dozen times just because wrist locking a white belt feels dirty, even the ox strong ones

I'm training at a new place and I kid you not there were 25 people in class tonight and only two blue belts, all the rest where white belts. About a 1/3 of them cant even tie a belt on properly, it's like a mine field for an old guy mixed in with all the spaz's. I've started observing my classmates to see who the spaz's are so I can avoid them at all costs.

eta: I was lucky early on and trained with a purple belt pretty consistently, I was much larger and stronger than him and only submitted him once in 3 years and that was by accident.

He taught me that technique can better strength (obviously there are limitations) and I learned that BJJ doesn't have to be violent to be successful, and really shouldn't be.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 7:52:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Im 40 and I like this
View All Quotes

5) My favorite subs are:

Im 40 and I like this
I’m 44 and I like this as well. Except where he says wrist lock I say leg lock.

Yeah I’m a filthy degenerate heel hooker.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 1:14:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Well two days ago I received my blue belt. I was one of the few that did get formally tested (think my 3 instructors have been testing me and keeping tabs during open mat) so I wasn't really expecting it.  I guess the journey can actually begin now and try to survive. Don't know what to think still and I honestly don't feel that I was ready.
View Quote
Congrats!
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 9:25:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By denverdan:
I'm 44 and I like this as well. Except where he says wrist lock I say leg lock.

Yeah I'm a filthy degenerate heel hooker.
View All Quotes

5) My favorite subs are:

Im 40 and I like this
I'm 44 and I like this as well. Except where he says wrist lock I say leg lock.

Yeah I'm a filthy degenerate heel hooker.
The youngsters deserve everything they get.

The amount of side-eye I get on the mats is hilarious, some of the young bucks want a shot but they don't want to get schooled in front of their peers. Watching them be conflicted over it gives me a great deal of entertainment.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 9:26:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Remman:
Congrats!
View All Quotes
Congrats!
+87 congrats, its no small accomplishment and purple will be a long way off. Stay with it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 4:46:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 7:52:38 PM EDT
[#9]
So I am traveling  to Orlando (Disney) tomorrow looking for somewhere to drop in. What says the hive also cost?
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 12:01:17 AM EDT
[#10]
So I am traveling  to Orlando (Disney) tomorrow looking for somewhere to drop in. What says the hive also cost?
View Quote
GB Orlando and GB North Orlando, I've trained primarily in GB schools so I'm a little biased.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 1:30:04 AM EDT
[#11]
It's been a long time since I've posted here but I thought I'd give an update.

Two weeks ago I was given my blue belt by one of my best friends and bjj mentor. I had adopted the attitude of continuous training and let belts come when someone says that I deserve it. I've been training for over two years now and have competed at tournaments, traveled to schools all around the country, and been in classes with Cecil Burch and Craig Douglas (ECQC was a blast - a must if you haven't taken it) and all I want to do is learn more.

I keep coming up with what I'm weakest in and going in and changing my training to address it. It's going to be a never ending cycle, and I'm cool with that.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 8:26:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah well, back on the mats for about four months and *BOOM* "pain consistent with labrum/biceps tendon/rotator cuff tear".

I had my right shoulder rebuilt in 2001, shit came loose, I'm looking at an MRI with contrast next Friday, results back the first week of April.

Surgery inbound, I'll be out the rest of the year.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 8:40:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah well, back on the mats for about four months and *BOOM* "pain consistent with labrum/biceps tendon/rotator cuff tear".

I had my right shoulder rebuilt in 2001, shit came loose, I'm looking at an MRI with contrast next Friday, results back the first week of April.

View Quote
Dammit man that super duper sucks sorry to hear. I hope your recovery goes fast and well.
On a lighter note.
I just applied to get on a Fight to Win Pro card in May.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 5:02:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Welp I’m competing in Fight to Win Pro tonight wish me luck.

If you’re not familiar with these guys check them out. They do good things for the BJJ community and competition scene.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 3:59:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Welp I'm competing in Fight to Win Pro tonight wish me luck.

If you're not familiar with these guys check them out. They do good things for the BJJ community and competition scene.
View Quote
Nice!
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 12:41:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By utb1528:

Nice!
View Quote
Yeah it was a ton of fun. I lost on a judges decision and I’m ok with that.
My opponent was a last minute replacement since my original guy got injured.

I think I did ok considering the new guy outweighed me by 25-30 lbs.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 8:33:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Got to meet Renzo a couple weeks ago at his seminar at Uflacker Academy in Chicago. Got my blue belt the week prior.

Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:33:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Nice dude.
Now the purples and up stop taking it easy on you and the white belts are gonna try to kill you.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 8:03:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Got my third stripe on my white belt!  Woot!
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 11:29:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Nice dude.
Now the purples and up stop taking it easy on you and the white belts are gonna try to kill you.
View Quote
 Its already started!
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 11:30:09 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote
Congrats!
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 1:58:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Congrats!
View All Quotes
Congrats!
Nice!
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 9:59:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, I just got silver in my first competition!

In a two man division .

I talked to the guy that beat me afterwards, apparently he was a 3rd degree black belt in judo (so he should have technically been in the blue belt group, but then I wouldn't have had a match so I'm not upset).

Some random notes: I couldn't control the adrenaline dump, even though I knew it was coming.  I sniffed out that he was a judo guy right away - couldn't get my grips, so I pulled guard.  He got me on a trip later but I reversed him so he only got an advantage not a takedown.  My ground game was better, but his endurance was better, and I simply gassed out and had nothing left after he passed my guard on a triangle attempt.  I had him in turtle for about 2 minutes and couldn't do shit.  Known weakness going in.  Was not prepared for my muscles to give out as fast as they did.

All in all happy with the technical performance.  The guy I went up against faced two other guys in the open division and got takedowns on both, including a guy that was 240 (we were 180).
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote
surgery last Wednesday, surgeon said it "was a mess in there".

im healing pretty quickly from what i can tell but man this sucks, sleeping a good bit as im very tired most of the time. no pain meds since friday, only motrin
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 7:03:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Drakich:

In a two man division .

I talked to the guy that beat me afterwards, apparently he was a 3rd degree black belt in judo (so he should have technically been in the blue belt group, but then I wouldn't have had a match so I'm not upset).

Some random notes: I couldn't control the adrenaline dump, even though I knew it was coming.  I sniffed out that he was a judo guy right away - couldn't get my grips, so I pulled guard.  He got me on a trip later but I reversed him so he only got an advantage not a takedown.  My ground game was better, but his endurance was better, and I simply gassed out and had nothing left after he passed my guard on a triangle attempt.  I had him in turtle for about 2 minutes and couldn't do shit.  Known weakness going in.  Was not prepared for my muscles to give out as fast as they did.

All in all happy with the technical performance.  The guy I went up against faced two other guys in the open division and got takedowns on both, including a guy that was 240 (we were 180).
View Quote
Good job getting out there and competing. It takes guts to do that. There’s no way a Judo BB should be in a white belt division. Good work just hanging in with that guy.

Judo dudes are really really good at turtling up. I usually put my knees in the small of their back and snatch up their collar or a seatbelt grip and pull em backwards. Doesn’t always work but it typically gets things moving.

The adrenaline gets better the more you compete.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 10:36:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Drakich] [#26]
Good job getting out there and competing. It takes guts to do that. There’s no way a Judo BB should be in a white belt division. Good work just hanging in with that guy.

Judo dudes are really really good at turtling up. I usually put my knees in the small of their back and snatch up their collar or a seatbelt grip and pull em backwards. Doesn’t always work but it typically gets things moving.

View All Quotes

In a two man division .

For the curious, Full match video

Slow-mo throw / reversal

I'm the guy in the yellow/alternating belt.

Same judo guy against another guy from my gym (black guy is 240 lbs, he's easily won all of his matches in every event he's gone to):

Trip
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 6:04:27 PM EDT
[#27]

Slow-mo throw / reversal

Same judo guy against another guy from my gym (black guy is 240 lbs, he's easily won all of his matches in every event he's gone to):

Trip
View Quote
Slick reversal dude. All in all very good match. In my opinion you should be wearing a different colored belt very soon
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 8:41:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Slick reversal dude. All in all very good match. In my opinion you should be wearing a different colored belt very soon
View All Quotes

Slow-mo throw / reversal

Trip
Nah, I'm only 9 months in and we're on Brazilian time for promos at my gym.  I'm a pretty middle of the road white belt at my gym.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 8:49:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Arghhh haven’t trained in like 1.5 months because of life stuff and a back injury. I got offered another Fight to Win Pro match the other day and had to turn it down.

Feels bad man.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 10:38:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Drakich] [#30]
2nd tourney, 2nd loss .

This is what happens when you gas 17 seconds before time runs out

I was winning on points most of the match.  Once I escaped the triangle (at one point it was tight enough where I asked myself "Should I tap or see if I go to sleep?") and got to side control I was fixated on going for the Americana (it was my original game plan - win the take down, get to side control, go for the Americana).  So fixated that I was trying to move his arm from already being prime for a kimura to an Americana position.

The ref kept resetting us at inconvenient times for me.

My opponent was a little bigger, a little stronger, and had a little more endurance than me.  Skill wise was probably a wash on the ground.  Stand up I had a little advantage I think.  I got the right setup for a fireman's carry in terms of grip position but I second guessed myself on committing to the entry and so ended up bailing on it and he pulled guard.  Second stand up I was too tired to do a takedown attempt (in hindsight I should have tried anyway) and pulled guard and tried to get in de la riva but I didnt get good grips and he passed to my half guard pretty easily where I stalled him until the last 17 seconds.

I recommend anyone that is in decent health and decent shape to compete if they can.  I'm arguably in neither (I have a herniated C5-C6 disc and I'm not sure if I could run a mile right now).  So why compete then?  Because it will show you how compressed your knowledge really is under high stress. I don't know, in the heat of things, nearly as much as I think I do when I'm in a friendly roll at the gym.  It's humbling the same way my first day of class was, and that's true win or lose. And if you are training for self defense you need to experience a similar level of stress to see if it affects you the same way.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 2:38:17 AM EDT
[#31]
2nd tourney, 2nd loss .

This is what happens when you gas 17 seconds before time runs out

I was winning on points most of the match. Once I escaped the triangle (at one point it was tight enough where I asked myself "Should I tap or see if I go to sleep?") and got to side control I was fixated on going for the Americana (it was my original game plan - win the take down, get to side control, go for the Americana). So fixated that I was trying to move his arm from already being prime for a kimura to an Americana position.

The ref kept resetting us at inconvenient times for me.

My opponent was a little bigger, a little stronger, and had a little more endurance than me. Skill wise was probably a wash on the ground. Stand up I had a little advantage I think. I got the right setup for a fireman's carry in terms of grip position but I second guessed myself on committing to the entry and so ended up bailing on it and he pulled guard. Second stand up I was too tired to do a takedown attempt (in hindsight I should have tried anyway) and pulled guard and tried to get in de la riva but I didnt get good grips and he passed to my half guard pretty easily where I stalled him until the last 17 seconds.

I recommend anyone that is in decent health and decent shape to compete if they can. I'm arguably in neither (I have a herniated C5-C6 disc and I'm not sure if I could run a mile right now). So why compete then? Because it will show you how compressed your knowledge really is under high stress. I don't know, in the heat of things, nearly as much as I think I do when I'm in a friendly roll at the gym. It's humbling the same way my first day of class was, and that's true win or lose. And if you are training for self defense you need to experience a similar level of stress to see if it affects you the same way.
View Quote
Great video.  I think you had a good match and will see many victories in the future.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:49:48 PM EDT
[#32]
My 6 year old son won his first tournament match.  This was his second tournament (lost all 4 matches in his first tourney); he won one and lost four, but he was super excited about finally winning a match.  He's only been doing BJJ since July, so most of the other kids are more experienced than him.

The best part about his win was that he learned from the previous match where he tried a guillotine but let the kid walk up into mount, eventually pulling out of it.  The very next match, his opponent went for a single leg, and my son caught him in a guillotine.  This time he pulled him into guard and got the tap.

I'm just proud of him for having the courage to compete and being a good sport, but it was nice to see him enjoy a little success.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 10:54:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By frankiebagadonuts:
My 6 year old son won his first tournament match.  This was his second tournament (lost all 4 matches in his first tourney); he won one and lost four, but he was super excited about finally winning a match.  He's only been doing BJJ since July, so most of the other kids are more experienced than him.

The best part about his win was that he learned from the previous match where he tried a guillotine but let the kid walk up into mount, eventually pulling out of it.  The very next match, his opponent went for a single leg, and my son caught him in a guillotine.  This time he pulled him into guard and got the tap.

I'm just proud of him for having the courage to compete and being a good sport, but it was nice to see him enjoy a little success.
View Quote
Congrats to your son, teach him this as an alternate for the guillotine, I used it about half the time.

Simple and Sneaky: Hand Gun Choke (No-Gi)
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:20:51 AM EDT
[#34]

Congrats to your son, teach him this as an alternate for the guillotine, I used it about half the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOJ3shZts30
View Quote
Damn that’s filthy.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:43:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: navvet89] [#35]
Damn that's filthy.
View All Quotes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOJ3shZts30
Damn that's filthy.
and it works really well, I've found some people will tolerate the "wrestlers grab" (one had behind the head) for at least a few seconds, if you can get the other hand in before they break that grip  things get really difficult for them from there.
eta, it also works very well in a Gi
Link Posted: 2/10/2019 10:06:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Drakich] [#36]

3rd competition match so far.  Had a match 3 minutes after this one ended but my wife didn't get the video because neither one of us expected me to have to compete so quickly.  0-4 so far in my competition career .
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 3:06:25 PM EDT
[#37]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idgHCD85FSY

3rd competition match so far.  Had a match 3 minutes after this one ended but my wife didn't get the video because neither one of us expected me to have to compete so quickly.  0-4 so far in my competition career .
View Quote
No biggie I’ve competed a ton and my record is about .500. I have an 0-1 professional record so there’s that

I’m assuming you’re in the black gi. Learn some open guards. Fighting like crazy to maintain closed guard is exhausting. Especially at competition intensity.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 8:16:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Drakich] [#38]
No biggie I’ve competed a ton and my record is about .500. I have an 0-1 professional record so there’s that

I’m assuming you’re in the black gi. Learn some open guards. Fighting like crazy to maintain closed guard is exhausting. Especially at competition intensity.
View All Quotes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idgHCD85FSY

I was in the blue gi.

Guy in the black gi won on the 2 points off the sweep at 5:26.

I completely botched the osoto gari to tai oshi combo at the beginning and got my ass thrown to the ground - I don't think my opponent was expecting me to fall and when he went to establish side control I just rolled him over and played smash side for a while.  Didn't get points for the side control though since I didn't score the takedown and didn't pass his guard.  He got an advantage but no points for the takdown.

My opponent did a really good job of not tapping (at one point I had a north south choke on him, and when I had top half against him, I was putting the shoulder of just pretty hard on his neck - he had definite breathing restriction because he was making the snoring noise for a bit), and keeping me from getting mount and a little later taking his back when he pulled the sweep.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 11:27:34 PM EDT
[#39]

I was in the blue gi.

Guy in the black gi won on the 2 points off the sweep at 5:26.

I completely botched the osoto gari to tai oshi combo at the beginning and got my ass thrown to the ground - I don't think my opponent was expecting me to fall and when he went to establish side control I just rolled him over and played smash side for a while.  Didn't get points for the side control though since I didn't score the takedown and didn't pass his guard.  He got an advantage but no points for the takdown.

My opponent did a really good job of not tapping (at one point I had a north south choke on him, and when I had top half against him, I was putting the shoulder of just pretty hard on his neck - he had definite breathing restriction because he was making the snoring noise for a bit), and keeping me from getting mount and a little later taking his back when he pulled the sweep.
View Quote
Huh well I honestly wasn’t taking points into consideration. If it were submission only and I were judging I would have given it to you.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 7:47:49 AM EDT
[#40]
I didnt know this thread existed.  I'm 33 and been training since last August or so, so almost a year with a Brazilian Top Team School.  Still a white belt (the adults dont get stripes so idk what my coach thinks of me lol).  So far am loving it, it's just hard to get to the mats when working shift work and nights and days.  I am obsessed with lapel chokes.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 8:25:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By poisontree:
I didnt know this thread existed.  I'm 33 and been training since last August or so, so almost a year with a Brazilian Top Team School.  Still a white belt (the adults dont get stripes so idk what my coach thinks of me lol).  So far am loving it, it's just hard to get to the mats when working shift work and nights and days.  I am obsessed with lapel chokes.
View Quote
Nice man I wish I started at your age. My school is weird about stripes. When I got my blue belt I had zero stripes on my white. When I got my purple I had four.

So far zero on my purple.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 6:16:38 AM EDT
[#42]
I'm almost 1 year in and the colored belts seem so far away right now.  I work 1 month of days and 1 of nights.  Nights have so much overtime that it seems I cant get any time off.  Yesterday was the first day on the mats in almost 3 weeks.  The important thing is I would totally smash the guy I was who walked in on day 1.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 7:11:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Nice man I wish I started at your age. My school is weird about stripes. When I got my blue belt I had zero stripes on my white. When I got my purple I had four.

View All Quotes

I see you are in CO. What school do you recommend south of Denver? I will be starting next month and I am looking for a good adult school.
Link Posted: 7/7/2019 8:37:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: denverdan] [#44]
Originally Posted By SFENDER:

I see you are in CO. What school do you recommend south of Denver? I will be starting next month and I am looking for a good adult school.
View Quote
@SFENDER

I believe The Kompound, Easton, and Katharo are down south. If you’re ok with driving to Lakewood my school is pretty awesome.

Pm if interested.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 6:05:48 PM EDT
[#45]

@SFENDER

I believe The Kompound, Easton, and Katharo are down south. If you’re ok with driving to Lakewood my school is pretty awesome.

Pm if interested.
View Quote
Thank you for the reply. I will check them out. Will a PM as well. Looking forward to getting started.
Link Posted: 7/9/2019 5:28:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/10/2019 3:01:05 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Lowdown3:

Don't sweat that part. Later it will feel a lot less important the color of your belt.

Just came to class as often as you can, pay attention, roll and breathe.....
View Quote

I'm finally able to maybe get to 3 classes on my 3 days off coming up after working 12
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 2:01:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Don't sweat that part. Later it will feel a lot less important the color of your belt.

View All Quotes
I'm almost 1 year in and the colored belts seem so far away right now.  I work 1 month of days and 1 of nights.  Nights have so much overtime that it seems I cant get any time off.  Yesterday was the first day on the mats in almost 3 weeks.  The important thing is I would totally smash the guy I was who walked in on day 1.

And when you can't go to class, get some metabolic conditioning in, even if it's a few burpees.  My person experience is if I train 2 times or less a week, my conditioning on the mats goes to shit.

And when you can't go to class, watch videos.  Youtube has a lot of great, free content on jiu jitsu these days.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 2:03:07 PM EDT
[#49]

I'm finally able to maybe get to 3 classes on my 3 days off coming up after working 12
View All Quotes

Where are you training at poisontree?
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 8:25:42 AM EDT
[#50]

Where are you training at poisontree?
View Quote
At a Brazilian top team school
Page / 36
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top