Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2020 2:03:48 PM EDT
I'm a fairly small stature guy (5'6, 145 lbs, 31" waist) and this summer I am looking to take a couple carbine courses and a pistol course.

I don't have a ton of experience with battle belts/chest rigs, but have been looking at both for my first setup.  For belts I have been primarily looking at HSGI, but the full setup (rigger & battle belt) seems pretty expensive in comparison to a chest rig (HSGI AO Small or TT Mini Mav) that could carry a similar loadout.  Do you need both a rigger belt & the battle belt?  Please forgive the ignorance, I've been doing a ton of reading but seem to have worked myself in a circle.  The belt setup seems like it would do MOST of what I need it to do, but the chest rig would also be used as a "grab & go" for emergency situations.

In terms of a belt loadout I am figuring 2 AR and 2 pistol mags, dump bag, IFAK, and tourniquet.  If I were to setup a chest rig it would more than likely consist of a triple AR mag shingle, admin pouch, 2 pistol mags, IFAK, and tourniquet.

Thanks for any insight!
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 5:52:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll share an old adage I learned early in my "tactical" career: Mission dictates gear. If I'll need to go prone a lot, I want less bulk on my chest (which also helps in performing reloads behind low cover), and go with a battle belt. If I'm doing more walking/running than prone, I like to keep the weight off my hips (at least in my case, it kills my lower back) and on my shoulders. It might take you getting both setups to decide which one you like more for specific applications. Personally, I run three different setups: two carriers and one battle belt; each for specific job duties that I have.

To answer your other question, unless you like just really like always having to loop your pouches onto your pants belt, you'll want your battle belt to be an outer belt.

ETA: I'm also that short, but I have about 40 lbs and three inches on you.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 11:14:29 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are planning on getting just one start with the battle belt.  Add a CamelBack and you have what you need for the class.  I looked at battle belts for over a year and was amazed how expensive some of them are.  I have a High Speed Gear belt and it is very comfortable and works well, but with one problem.  You have to wear it over your belted pants and I find that no matter how tight I set the belt it still manages to push my pants down.  I have to adjust it during the day several times, especially if I am running around and shooting in different positions.  I have a 31" waist.

This winter I searched for a two belt system.  The inner belt is what holds up my pants and the outer belt attaches to the inner with velcor.  It keeps my pants up and is comfortable to wear.  I got a Raptor Tactical ODIN three gun belt.  It is very stiff, which I like to keep all the gear I wear from moving.  The price of the two system belt I think is very reasonable.  It is a very high quality made belt system.

I plan on using it during the spring and summer months and use the High Speed Gear for the winter, since I find wearing a heavy jacket the pants do not move down as much.

I hope this helps in your decision making.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 10:28:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for the info guys.

The belt will definitely be the go to for classes unless a certain class calls for the ability to carry more than two spare mags, with the chest rig primarily being something I setup and train with on my own to make sure I'm familiar with it.

Edit:

Would a belt like this (without the padded outer belt) work if I were to wear it over my normal belt?  Or do I have to have both the rigger belt AND the padded MOLLE outer belt?

https://www.highspeedgear.com/hsgi/31CB-31CB.html
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 5:02:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Contact the trainer/school you are planning on attending ask what they recommend.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 11:07:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you for the info guys.

The belt will definitely be the go to for classes unless a certain class calls for the ability to carry more than two spare mags, with the chest rig primarily being something I setup and train with on my own to make sure I'm familiar with it.

Edit:

Would a belt like this (without the padded outer belt) work if I were to wear it over my normal belt?  Or do I have to have both the rigger belt AND the padded MOLLE outer belt?

https://www.highspeedgear.com/hsgi/31CB-31CB.html
View Quote
That depends on what gear you're using. If you're using a 1.75" belt, make sure your gear will fit it. Unless I'm mistaken, standard "duty belt" width is 2", and most non-molle attachments are set up for that. If you are using either 1.75" or 2", get some belt-keepers. They'll keep your belt more stable. Also, if you go that route, be ready to cinch your inner belt pretty tight to keep your pants from being pulled (as mentioned above).

For mine, I use a molle outer belt, as it keeps my attachments from moving around much better than a standard duty belt; but it's still a 2" belt, in case I need to attach something that's not molle.

Lastly, you don't need any particular inner belt for any battle belt. Just make sure it's sturdy. If it's leather, understand that it might get a little beat up after a while.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 3:12:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I use a 1.75 inch belt rig from blue alpha gear for training classes and it works well.  I carry a similar load out you listed as to what would be on your belt.  Use Esstac Kiwis

They offer a Molle or regular option and it isnt that bad price wise.  I upgraded the inner belt to the low profile version and use it for carry occasionally as well.  very happy with the quality and service from BAG

https://www.bluealphagear.com/product-category/range-and-duty-belts/
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 1:16:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm a fairly small stature guy (5'6, 145 lbs, 31" waist) and this summer I am looking to take a couple carbine courses and a pistol course.  

I don't have a ton of experience with battle belts/chest rigs, but have been looking at both for my first setup.  For belts I have been primarily looking at HSGI, but the full setup (rigger & battle belt) seems pretty expensive in comparison to a chest rig (HSGI AO Small or TT Mini Mav) that could carry a similar loadout.  Do you need both a rigger belt & the battle belt?  Please forgive the ignorance, I've been doing a ton of reading but seem to have worked myself in a circle.  The belt setup seems like it would do MOST of what I need it to do, but the chest rig would also be used as a "grab & go" for emergency situations.  

In terms of a belt loadout I am figuring 2 AR and 2 pistol mags, dump bag, IFAK, and tourniquet.  If I were to setup a chest rig it would more than likely consist of a triple AR mag shingle, admin pouch, 2 pistol mags, IFAK, and tourniquet.

Thanks for any insight!
View Quote

My advice....stick with one AR pouch and two pistol...You then have 30 in the gun and 30 on the belt.
You can also have 30 in the dump pouch for a total of 90. You will never be in a class where the instructor will want you to have more then that for any training iteration.
My belt is a culmination of my experience over the last 16 plus years of taking classes.
The IFAK /Tourniquet is a recent add...It may or may not stay on...
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 7:47:16 AM EDT
[#8]
HSGI Slim here, esstact kiwis for mag pouches. 1 rifle, 2 pistol. IFAK, and holster. Not a big fan of having weight on my hips.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 8:08:53 PM EDT
[#9]
OP, not trying to hijack your thread but im hoping my question helps you too

How are you guys attaching your kywis to your molle belts?

I tried the WTfix or whatever things and they are a little too loose for my liking.

Ive heard of tek loks but im unsure of how i would set that up. Btw im using a blue alpha gear molle belt.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 6:07:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP, not trying to hijack your thread but im hoping my question helps you too

How are you guys attaching your kywis to your molle belts?

I tried the WTfix or whatever things and they are a little too loose for my liking.

Ive heard of tek loks but im unsure of how i would set that up. Btw im using a blue alpha gear molle belt.
View Quote

I use the TacTailors short MALICE clips.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top