Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2010 10:00:11 AM EDT
Did my first handgun competition on Sunday and I definitely need to work on my speed. Can anyone recommend a shot timer and/or a place that has a good deal on one? Any to avoid?
Thanks Arfcom!!!
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 10:20:55 AM EDT
[#1]
My advice is to get a timer with a removable battery.  I had the CED7000 and twice I showed up to the range and the built-in battery was dead.  Also for your first competition, don't focus on speed.  You need to focus on smooth movements.  I understand that a lot of first timers DQ a lot.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 10:53:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My advice is to get a timer with a removable battery.  I had the CED7000 and twice I showed up to the range and the built-in battery was dead.  Also for your first competition, don't focus on speed.  You need to focus on smooth movements.  I understand that a lot of first timers DQ a lot.

thank you for the advice!! I thought I did better than what the score sheet said. I was down south (might have gotten the good old boy treatment..) I went with what I was trained and that was speed AND shot placement. When the overall scoresheet came out and I finished 32 out of 44 I was a bit let down. One of the high scorers was in my group running one of those heavily ninjafied 1911's with Red dot sight, huge ass charging handle, giant magwell and chambered in .38 super with a stick magazine holding about 30 rounds. I was running 1 10 round mag (the rest 8's) in a Nighthawk GRP recon. I scored alot of good hits, took my time to make sure I didnt screw anything up but my engagements could definitely be faster. Even still it was a damn good time. I really enjoyed it and will be doing it again.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 4:40:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Competition Electrics Pocket Pro.  It's been a good timer so far, and I see a lot of them in use at matches, so I figure they're GTG.   If you have a C+R license you can get it for under $100 at Grafs.  
There's also a shot timer app for iphone if you have one of those.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 5:59:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you very much. Anyone have anything bad to say about said Shot timer? I saw a couple bad reviews for it on Midway..
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 7:18:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a CE Pocket Pro 2. It probably has some extra features compare to the Pocket Pro. I have used Pact, CED and other timers and I really like the Pocket Pro 2 the best.

Good features:
Auto shut down (saves batteries)
good size. (not too big or small to handle all day long)
easy to use pocket clip.
adjustable sensitivity mike
backlit display
replaceable 9v batteries
Large numbers on display
LCD display does not darken when using polarized sunglasses glasses or when it gets hot.

The CED 7000 has more features and stores multiple strings but I can't stand the non-replaceable battery.

Gringop
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 5:38:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Might I suggest the Pact.  We use them day in and day out, enough that we sometimes notice the buzzer is getting quiet from many many reps.  Buttons always hold up well.  We attempt to keep them dry but they do get damp from time to time with no real issues.

I also have begun using "Shot Timer" on my Droid.  Works well but the buzzer volume is a bit lacking.  Fine when you are on your oun but in noisy environments can be an issue.

P.S. I have no professional ties to Pact, I just like their stuff better than the CED's I have used.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 10:08:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I've had a POCKET PRO for several years.

It's held up fine and takes a common 9v battery

think I got mine from brownells
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:51:27 PM EDT
[#8]
The surefire app for the Iphone is free, adjustable sensitivity so you can use it for dry practice as well...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top