User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2022 10:40:19 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 10:54:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Good
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 11:00:53 AM EDT
[#2]
https://www.rochesterfirst.com/news/regional-news/24-hours-after-off-duty-officers-were-told-they-cant-bring-guns-to-fair-state-clarifies-they-can/

GEDDES, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — New York State will allow off-duty police officers to carry weapons at the State Fair, as they always were, just 24 hours after they were told they’d no longer be allowed to enter with their guns.

A spokesperson for the New York State Fair confirmed the clarification to partnering NewsChannel 9, several hours after the interim director of the State Fair personally called the Onondaga County Sheriff with the update.

“The bottom line here is that we have many, many police officers who obviously all have the training and are very proficient in firearms. Of course, we hope we never have to use them, but the reality of this situation is, is that we have seen too many mass casualties at mass gatherings. How do we best address it? I think it’s always best if you have more law enforcement present, whether off duty or on duty than less,” said Onondaga County Sheriff Gene Conway.

--------

Irrelevant to the oncoming 9/1 disaster anyway.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 11:32:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Very proficient with firearms

Lol

Lmfao

That is such bullshit……ask me how I know
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 11:46:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Imagine the melt down if they had to follow all the other rules
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 1:29:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Police officers are starting to feel our pain
View Quote

No they're not.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 3:32:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I've always been armed at the Fair
It's Syracuse, after all
I also stopped going a few years ago, so its a non-issue.
Link Posted: 8/12/2022 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.rochesterfirst.com/news/regional-news/24-hours-after-off-duty-officers-were-told-they-cant-bring-guns-to-fair-state-clarifies-they-can/

GEDDES, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — New York State will allow off-duty police officers to carry weapons at the State Fair, as they always were, just 24 hours after they were told they’d no longer be allowed to enter with their guns.

A spokesperson for the New York State Fair confirmed the clarification to partnering NewsChannel 9, several hours after the interim director of the State Fair personally called the Onondaga County Sheriff with the update.

“The bottom line here is that we have many, many police officers who obviously all have the training and are very proficient in firearms. Of course, we hope we never have to use them, but the reality of this situation is, is that we have seen too many mass casualties at mass gatherings. How do we best address it? I think it’s always best if you have more law enforcement present, whether off duty or on duty than less,” said Onondaga County Sheriff Gene Conway.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/12/2022 7:57:51 PM EDT
[#8]
let me guess law enforcement is exempt from these new red flag laws that Hochul announced today .
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 4:55:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Nope
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 10:56:11 PM EDT
[#10]
So after I do the NYSP Directed 16 hour Course and 2 hours worth of qualification and test out at 80% or better then I too will be trained sufficient enough to carry concealed at the State Fair or anywhere else  right?  That's about the same as a Cop has to, and a lot more than the LEOSA requirement.
Fuck these mother fuckers!  It's getting past the time of "do not comply" and wearing a Badge doesn't automatically make a Cop a better person than a Civilian... Dannamora is testimony to that.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 8:39:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Most here know that I’m an LEO

I don’t support carve outs for LE…..what’s good for goose is good for the rest of the Geese

I really believe the only way to get the message across to LE agencies that support anti 2A laws and special people carve outs is for the gun manufacturers to STOP doing business with LE agencies in NY like Barrett did.

The very manufacturers choose profit over rights
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Most here know that I’m an LEO

I don’t support carve outs for LE…..what’s good for goose is good for the rest of the Geese

I really believe the only way to get the message across to LE agencies that support anti 2A laws and special people carve outs is for the gun manufacturers to STOP doing business with LE agencies in NY like Barrett did.

The very manufacturers choose profit over rights
View Quote

Barrett may have officially stopped selling directly to NY agencies, but they still seem to be able to get Barrett products when they want them.
Gun companies with an international customer base are used to gun laws that are far worse than anything we have here in the USA.
Canada, for instance, just stopped all handgun sales in the country. Do you think Canadian law enforcement agencies will be unable to obtain any Glocks, Sigs, etc that they would like to purchase? I highly doubt it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 4:43:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Off duty should be held to the same laws as everyone else.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 11:11:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Absolutely. I was speaking to a friend last night who investigates sex crimes for the state. Sworn officer, and the state entity she works for is headed by an anti-gun liberal. So they aren’t allowed to carry outside the office, and their weapon has to be locked up in the office when they are there. Basically they are authorized to carry their duty gun on them to and from the office but not in the field during the course of their investigations or while at their desk.

I picked my jaw off up the floor and asked her what the point was. She doesn’t have a pistol permit and is now going to apply for one because she used to be able to carry on her badge everywhere but her agency has restricted it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 11:29:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Absolutely. I was speaking to a friend last night who investigates sex crimes for the state. Sworn officer, and the state entity she works for is headed by an anti-gun liberal. So they aren’t allowed to carry outside the office, and their weapon has to be locked up in the office when they are there. Basically they are authorized to carry their duty gun on them to and from the office but not in the field during the course of their investigations or while at their desk.

I picked my jaw off up the floor and asked her what the point was. She doesn’t have a pistol permit and is now going to apply for one because she used to be able to carry on her badge everywhere but her agency has restricted it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If she is a LEO with arrest powers, her agency cannot restrict her ability to carry off duty.
Link Posted: 8/14/2022 11:37:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If she is a LEO with arrest powers, her agency cannot restrict her ability to carry off duty.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess somebody needs to explain that to the agency commissioner. I was flabbergasted.

I don’t think you get issued a gun if you don’t also have arrest powers, but I’m no expert on that.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 7:07:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just guessing here. I'm guessing that the friend has peace officer status, not police officer status. So they can be armed while on duty in the performance of their duties only.Sounds like the agency head doesn't want them armed in the building or on calls, so they're restricting the subordinates as much as they can under agency policy.
Getting her pistol permit is an option, but considering how governor Hoochie is gutting permits September 1st it's a limited solution
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 9:54:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Barrett may have officially stopped selling directly to NY agencies, but they still seem to be able to get Barrett products when they want them.
Gun companies with an international customer base are used to gun laws that are far worse than anything we have here in the USA.
Canada, for instance, just stopped all handgun sales in the country. Do you think Canadian law enforcement agencies will be unable to obtain any Glocks, Sigs, etc that they would like to purchase? I highly doubt it.
View Quote

They should but sadly there will always be a Bill Ruger there to sell to the .gov
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:12:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Just guessing here. I'm guessing that the friend has peace officer status, not police officer status. So they can be armed while on duty in the performance of their duties only.Sounds like the agency head doesn't want them armed in the building or on calls, so they're restricting the subordinates as much as they can under agency policy.
Getting her pistol permit is an option, but considering how governor Hoochie is gutting permits September 1st it's a limited solution
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're probably right on the peace officer status. She was formerly with a police agency and transferred to this job when she started a family and didn't want to be on patrol.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 10:14:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

They should but sadly there will always be a Bill Ruger there to sell to the .gov
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is far more than just Ruger
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 6:04:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Oh sure but nobody I'm aware of campaigned so hard for restrictions in the hopes of selling more of his stuff. Springfield maybe in recent history
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 9:02:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So after I do the NYSP Directed 16 hour Course and 2 hours worth of qualification and test out at 80% or better then I too will be trained sufficient enough to carry concealed at the State Fair or anywhere else  right?  That's about the same as a Cop has to, and a lot more than the LEOSA requirement.
Fuck these mother fuckers!  It's getting past the time of "do not comply" and wearing a Badge doesn't automatically make a Cop a better person than a Civilian... Dannamora is testimony to that.  
View Quote

Police officers do a minimum of 2 weeks (80 hrs) of firearms at the academy, some academies do more than that.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 9:10:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Police officers do a minimum of 2 weeks (80 hrs) of firearms at the academy, some academies do more than that.
View Quote

The problem we're running into now is that the range portion of basic is no longer a failure out of the academy if you can't hack it. They apparently grade it on a curve now. We had a recent hire who made it through the academy and couldn't get through their FTO phase including their first range qualification at the agency. On down the road they went. Might still be picked up by some other agency since they did make it through the academy and got certified
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 10:49:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The problem we're running into now is that the range portion of basic is no longer a failure out of the academy if you can't hack it. They apparently grade it on a curve now. We had a recent hire who made it through the academy and couldn't get through their FTO phase including their first range qualification at the agency. On down the road they went. Might still be picked up by some other agency since they did make it through the academy and got certified
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I should have better self control over what I post.  
80 hours is a pretty good block of time to learn, and having been through Basic Training am reasonably certain that even the most unskilled can be brought up to qualifications standards IF they have the desire to... I suspect those that "just can't" might not really want to.

Standards are set for real reasons for real circumstances: however the State throwing EVERYONE under the Bus with a demand of 18 hours of State Approved, Sanctioned Training, and a minimum 80% score before re-certification is hammer handed, unwarranted, and unrealistic.  

Part of my anger comes from a statistical argument reflecting that there were more gun crimes committed by people with badges than CCW's. and (AFAIK) Clinton County is where they send former Law Enforcement.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 1:05:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

One little LI dept kept a cop who couldn't pass their qual for 7 years.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 1:08:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Standards are set for real reasons for real circumstances: however the State throwing EVERYONE under the Bus with a demand of 18 hours of State Approved, Sanctioned Training, and a minimum 80% score before re-certification is hammer handed, unwarranted, and unrealistic.  

View Quote

Less hours, less actual shooting and higher score than a police recruit needs to attain.

Totally reasonable.

Link Posted: 8/22/2022 1:58:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wouldn't happen here. You'd be flying a desk unarmed until you can qualify. Keep failing and you're gone.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 7:01:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Wouldn't happen here. You'd be flying a desk unarmed until you can qualify. Keep failing and you're gone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same.  You would have a desk job and remedial training and if you failed to attain a score of 85% on the qual you’d be out of a job
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 7:03:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Less hours, less actual shooting and higher score than a police recruit needs to attain.

Totally reasonable.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Totally reasonable.

It’s not reasonable…….it’s ridiculous…..and intentional.

The Constitution says nothing about training.

Albeit I encourage people to train…..but for there own survival skills.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 9:17:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

It’s not reasonable…….it’s ridiculous…..and intentional.

The Constitution says nothing about training.

Albeit I encourage people to train…..but for there own survival skills.
View Quote

It’s important to have a “well regulated” I.e. well trained, proficient, competent militia in order to maintain a free state… Towards that end the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Training is of extreme importance. Many gun owners are neither trained or proficient. None the less, I agree that the 2A does not mandate training. It instead allows for ownership of arms to allow for training and proficiency which supports the militia which protects the free state.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 11:49:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Haven't gone to the fair in 10 years.  They got metal detectors now?
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 6:47:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Heard a weapons detection system. Wondering if they are getting some of those passive detection units like Vegas has that scan you as you walk by. Doesn’t matter, I won’t go ever again.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 9:33:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
50 for me (I was 10 back then). My father was from Syracuse so my grandparents family went often when he and my uncles were growing up. My father used to talk about seeing the "giant corncob". Even at 10 I was wondering WTF? Turns out it was some giant concrete corncob painted green and yellow. As we lived on Long Island, we could only go when the fair coincided with us staying at our grandparents cottage on Skaneateles Lake. Years where school started close to September 1st, we had to be back on LI before the fair started.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 3:24:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Heard a weapons detection system. Wondering if they are getting some of those passive detection units like Vegas has that scan you as you walk by. Doesn't matter, I won't go ever again.
View Quote
I wonder how long until the fair fails to make a profit.  I would rather go to county fairs, anyway.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 8:49:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Same.  You would have a desk job and remedial training and if you failed to attain a score of 85% on the qual you’d be out of a job
View Quote

Have they set a passing score for the live fire course yet? They set the passing score of 80% for the written test.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 9:53:16 PM EDT
[#36]
What if one disagrees with the written test?

I got docked on the science regents exam for a question that the “right” answer is wrong.  I believe that question is still used.  I flagged it before the exam, and I’m sure they still haven’t fixed it.  And that was before the state went totally incompetent and political.  I can’t imagine what sort of stupid questions might be on a NYS pistol exam.  

“Jim wakes to four children he doesn’t know looking in the drawers of his kitchen.  One accidentally shoves Jim through a wall. Jim sees another child with what looks like an airsoft gun because it’s yellow. What should Jim do?”
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 9:56:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Have they set a passing score for the live fire course yet? They set the passing score of 80% for the written test.
View Quote

80% as well. 4 of 5 shots must land on a 25 1/2” by 11” target at 4 yds.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:08:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

80% as well. 4 of 5 shots must land on a 25 1/2" by 11" target at 4 yds.
View Quote
Is there anything stating that you can retake the written test if you fail it initially?
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:28:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Is there anything stating that you can retake the written test if you fail it initially?
View Quote

Pay attention in the class and it won’t be that difficult pretty much common sense, there will be plenty of questions on self defense and duty to retreat and deescalation of a situation .
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:31:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Pay attention in the class and it won't be that difficult pretty much common sense, there will be plenty of questions on self defense and duty to retreat and deescalation of a situation .
View Quote
I get that, but some people just aren't very good at test taking lol.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 12:22:51 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm going to go out on a limb and assert that everyone here is a "gun guy" of some sorts and someone who has fire enough for the State's new requirements to be laughable, therefor irrelevant. The issue at hand is the requirement for 16 hours of varying instruction and who is going to be able to satisfy that requirement.

I'll have to read through pl265 again to see who  meets those requirements, additionally there has to be Liability Insurance for the Instructor, and I can't help but wonder if said instructor could be held couplable should someone have a negligent or "bad shoot" happen down the road?  
Gotta take a real hard look at all this, the Legislature sure as fuck didn't.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 2:35:28 PM EDT
[#42]
There is no way that it should take 16 hours to cover that. How much of the 16 hours will be filled with John Wick video clips demonstrating proper techniques?
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 3:20:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
There is no way that it should take 16 hours to cover that. How much of the 16 hours will be filled with John Wick video clips demonstrating proper techniques?
View Quote

You haven't seen how much the state can pad a training syllabus!
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 4:44:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You haven't seen how much the state can pad a training syllabus!
View Quote

Well you have to have 15 minute breaks ever two hours, and an hour for Lunch, and a half hour to explain the Fire Exits, the special accommodations for people with special needs, which Bathrooms are available for non-gender specific use, their locations, and how you really don't give a fuck about opinions only that you're there to fulfill a requirement.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 4:58:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Well you have to have 15 minute breaks ever two hours, and an hour for Lunch, and a half hour to explain the Fire Exits, the special accommodations for people with special needs, which Bathrooms are available for non-gender specific use, their locations, and how you really don't give a fuck about opinions only that you're there to fulfill a requirement.  
View Quote

I don't know what you might be hearing,but I'm hearing concerns from the training sector here that some instructors are questioning how they can personally teach some of the mandated non-firearm subjects without having personal expertise in those fields, whether they'll have to bring in verified experts in those areas, what sort of training materials the state will provide, etc.
I'm beginning to wonder if the state will end up teaching a DCJS approved train the trainer class that will be required for anyone wanting to teach the  mandated topics
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 7:24:28 PM EDT
[#46]
At least there is one 1 hr dedicated to marksmanship fundamentals
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 7:56:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I don't know what you might be hearing,but I'm hearing concerns from the training sector here that some instructors are questioning how they can personally teach some of the mandated non-firearm subjects without having personal expertise in those fields, whether they'll have to bring in verified experts in those areas, what sort of training materials the state will provide, etc.
I'm beginning to wonder if the state will end up teaching a DCJS approved train the trainer class that will be required for anyone wanting to teach the  mandated topics
View Quote

Yeah really. Conflict management and conflict de-escalation? Range officers don't know shit about that. Hell, most range officers I've seen are experts at ESCALATING bad situations.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 9:27:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yeah really. Conflict management and conflict de-escalation? Range officers don't know shit about that. Hell, most range officers I've seen are experts at ESCALATING bad situations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You’ve never met me then
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 6:00:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
At least there is one 1 hr dedicated to marksmanship fundamentals
View Quote

Probably 2 hours on BS statistics about why you shouldn’t have a gun in your home. And an hour on the major threat of right-wing white domestic terrorism.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top