Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2022 11:56:10 AM EDT
By popular demand, here is what I have on the CD-22  GOP primary candidates Steve Wells and Brandon Williams.

From Wells' campaign site :

"I was taught at the young age of 11 to be a responsible gun owner. As a teenager I won multiple New York State Junior Skeet Shooting Championships. As an adult I have been a licensed and lawful owner of firearms for decades. As a prosecutor I have seen firsthand the damage inflicted by irresponsible criminals with no regard for human life. These experiences, and my reverence for the U.S Constitution inform my view. I'm a proud 2nd Amendment supporter and oppose efforts to take guns out of the hands of law-abiding citizens. We need to address mental health, improve and utilize background checks, and secure schools. The right of self-defense is fundamental to our system of justice and liberty."

From Williams' campaign website :

"The 2nd Amendment isn't just about hunting, it's about protecting our homes and our families. I support the rights of law-abiding Americans to own guns and am a proud gun owner, lifelong shooter, and hunter; I was also U.S. Navy expert marksman in pistol."

From the Post-Standard 6/22/16 :

" Wells, a Cazenovia businessman and former criminal prosecutor, said he would support a bill that bans gun sales to suspected terrorists for three days, giving the Justice Department time to prove in court why the sales should be denied. The bill is co-sponsored
in the House by Rep. John Katko, R-Camillus  "

From the Daily Sentinel 7/2/22 :

"Fellow Republican, Brandon Williams, who is challenging Wells in the upcoming primary, issued a statement on Thursday, calling on Wells "to clarify his stance on the second amendment and abortion." "After the historic decisions from the Supreme Court this past week, Steve Wells has been completely silent on these important issues," said Williams. "It is important for the voters of NY22 to know where their next congressman stands   I support the Constitution and the Second Amendment. I believe there are solutions out there to solve gun violence without restricting or endangering anyone's rights." "Steve Wells has, directly and indirectly, bankrolled the campaigns of anti-gun and pro-abortion liberals like Gov. Andrew Cuomo," Williams statement added  "

From the The Citizen 7/24/22 :

"  Wells is believed to be more of a moderate in the mold of Katko, but it's hard to know for sure. That's because his campaign has largely avoided answering questions directly about key issues facing this country, most notably his views on abortion and gun control. He also has turned down debate invitations, where he'd clearly be on the spot about those and other issues  "

Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:37:45 PM EDT
[#1]
The part about "three days for suspected terrorists..." has some very troubling concerns: Number one is Due Process; Being "suspect" is not the same as being convicted of such.  Why do you think I'm a "terrorist" because I said "fuck Biden"?  Because I bought fertilizer for the Garden and Diesel for the Tractor?

It would be incumbent on the FBI (or in some cases State Police) to identify within their system that such a condition exists.
There is a lag between when information is posted in the system and when the disqualifying event occurred, sometimes its years if ever at all.

Typical Politician's statement "...I support the Second Amendment, and I was a Duck Hunter BUT...."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top