Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2018 12:47:04 PM EDT
I can't believe what I witnessed yesterday at my local shop/indoor range.  Two different fixed mag ar’s one being a delton and the other a Bushmaster complete catastrophic failure.  The delton guy claims it was his first round thru the gun.  The bushmaster guy says second mag.  I only took pics of the delton.  Is this common with these fixed mag abortions?
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 12:59:33 PM EDT
[#1]
If this the wrong section please feel free to delete
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 1:00:17 PM EDT
[#2]
"Catastrophic failure"  What exactly happened?

Were both shooters using the same lot of ammunition?
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 1:11:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 1:14:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I doubt they were using the same ammo.  Two unrelated people and so many possibilities/variables.  Obstruction in bore, double charge ammo etc etc

I was just curious to see if any others have seen this with fixed mag lowers
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 1:44:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I have serious doubts about the fixed magazine being the cause.  There is nothing fundamentally different about a fixed magazine, its just a regular magazine that can't be removed.

Being at the same range on the same day makes me question the ammo.  The same lot of ammo with a rash of bad powder loads is entirely too common.  I also see a lot more re-manufactured ammo at indoor ranges, though that's anecdotal.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 5:16:46 PM EDT
[#6]
On a regular AR the mag will blow out the bottom... In fixed mags, pressure cant go down, has to go somewhere.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 7:13:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
On a regular AR the mag will blow out the bottom... In fixed mags, pressure cant go down, has to go somewhere.
View Quote
Looks like it blew the bottom of the mag out, just like always.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 11:22:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I sure don’t think fixed mag was the only issue here. If that was going to kaboom like that it will happen fixed mag or detachable.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:57:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I dont think the fixed mag caused it... I just dont think it helps being perm attatched when a shit ton of pressure is trying to make its way out. Its like welding in brackets & braces(to support added power) then expecting your car to react the same(as originally designed)in an accident. Shit rolls down hill...
Edit: I hate that these thing were forced on us... FAUC.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 10:17:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 10:53:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I don’t know what ammo either of them used.  It was at Davis.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 10:07:52 AM EDT
[#12]
fixed, detachable, or even no mag at all; when you have 60,000psi or more leaking out, shit IS going to happen; none of it good.

Same Range? I'm betting there's a reloader who made a mistake with the wrong powder....not that this IS or was involved, just an example: I have Data 2200 that a grain off in 5.56 will blow the cases, which is how I found out my balance beam scale was out of calibration.
Rad-78L (IMR7383) that I'm scared to use because you absolutely do not fuck around with the listed charge weights....bad enough to KB one of your own, but devastating to hurt/damage someone else.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 9:04:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Yeah most failures like that I’ve read about have been reloading error, either preceding round was a squib or fired round was too hot.
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 11:31:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I've been sticking with 25gr of AR-Comp with 55gr boolits for years.  I haven't kaboomed yet.  But, I wouldn't think a locked mag would matter as it's being held in by the same latch that a non-locked mag is.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 10:24:19 AM EDT
[#15]
See if you can find out where they got the ammo from, I'd bet it came from the same place, does the range sell ammo?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top