Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2013 7:59:07 AM EDT
Found out about WC PSEF from an earlier thread. Seriously thinking about joining. Is anyone here a member? I'd like to find out more details, but phone calls to their office go to an answering machine.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll see if my BIL knows anything. He's been out @ 2 years so I don't know what he can tell you.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 6:45:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, Secamp. Maybe he knows who I can get in touch with. Also, please ask him about the people, whether they are wanna be mall cops or normal folks.

Link Posted: 12/6/2013 6:48:53 AM EDT
[#3]
http://forums.officer.com/t107076/

This thread from 2008 has some good info...not sure if it's up to date though...seems like you take the peace officer class, a firearms class, and you become a deputy sheriff...with the ability to open carry while on duty, WITHOUT a NYS pistol permit. Sounds like they used to make them go through the full police academy, but no longer.

Oh and it's unpaid ofcourse.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 7:29:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I looked into this several years ago briefly.  You have to apply and they dont often accept new applicants.  Many people who are looking for a career in LE try this as a start so I can only guess there is a long list of people (but not certain).
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 8:17:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Actually, these guys are still required to get a PP and put their Dept-issued weapon on it. But, as Secamp32 had mentioned, they fall under HR 218 and that allows carry everywhere, including NYC.

I'm not trying to change careers and become an LEO. But it would be nice to be able to help the community in case another Irene or Sandy rolls around. And falling under HR 218 definitely seals the deal.

Hopefully someone can help out in this regard.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 8:24:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Let's just incorporate our own town somewhere, and deputize everyone.

NYC carry for all!
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 11:29:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

NYC carry for all!
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 1:11:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NYC carry for all!

This.

Well, until that happens, I will try to become a member at WC PSEF. Shqype, want to join?
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 3:46:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I would also be very interested in this. if someone could post some up to date info that would be great.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:48:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I spoke to my BIL and he's going to check with guys still on the force and see what the deal is.  Last he knew applicants had to fill out the full police officer application, 45 pages plus copies of the prior year tax returns.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:50:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Thank you, Secamp. I really appreciate your help.

I also would like to challenge you to a .32 match one of these days :-)
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 11:11:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Secamp32,

Have your BIL asked anyone? Sorry for busting your chops about this constantly.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 11:31:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm all for volunteering for the good of the Community, and the perks of carrying across the US (except NYC) is nice, but don't do it under the auspices of becoming an exempt "team member" because in the end you'll get it the same as everyone else.
There was a time in this Country where you could go damn well anywhere you wanted carrying a gun. You could walk into the Hardware Store, pay your money and walk out the same way with a shovel, you could get surplus M1 Carbines by mail order.....Alas, the days of honesty, integrity, and doing the right thing are done.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:34:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I knew that eventually someone will accuse me of selfish motives. Let me assure you that my interest in WCEF is pure as mountain springs. I have volunteered as an EMT before I had kids and want to do something useful again. Falling under HR 218 is just an icing on the cake. HR 218 should apply to NYC, BTW.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:07:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Perhaps some one more up to date than I am can step in and correct me if I am wrong. I am not sure about HR218 in a case like this, it seems like it could apply. If it applies to this position HR218 would supersede NYS law as I understand it, but in this case I am really not sure how it works. I would strongly suggest any member of that dept. consult with this agencies firearms instructors before carrying in the city. Seems like this could be a grey area.

In NY law these positions are probably not considered exempt. In the NYS CPL- 2.10 for peace officers if you are "exempt" that means you can carry on a badge and do not have to carry on a permit. So my understanding is if under the NYS def. for peace officer there is a line saying "that nothing in this subdivision  shall  be  deemed  to  authorize  such officer  or  agent  to  carry,  possess, repair, or dispose of a firearm unless the appropriate license therefor  has  been  issued  pursuant  to section  400.00 of the penal law; and provided further that such officer or agent shall exercise the powers of a peace officer only  when  he  is acting pursuant to his special duties."

If you see this after the title used in Westchester Co. then its my understanding you would not be able to carry in NYC, because your title lacks authority to carry on your badge. They can allow you to carry a firearm while on duty, provided DCJS approved firearms training is completed, but you still would not have statutory authority to do so without a permit.  So in theory this would also mean no AW or hi cap mags.

NYS has some strange laws and exemptions. In the CNY area you have Onondaga County Aux. Police (peace officers, no firearms), and Onondaga County Special Deputies (not peace officers, carry firearms). Go figure.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:09:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I knew that eventually someone will accuse me of selfish motives. Let me assure you that my interest in WCEF is pure as mountain springs. I have volunteered as an EMT before I had kids and want to do something useful again. Falling under HR 218 is just an icing on the cake. HR 218 should apply to NYC, BTW.
View Quote

Wasn't aimed at you per she, I've seen people join things like this for the wrong reasons. I too have been a volunteer EMT for 17 years with the same Dept.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top