Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2013 10:40:38 AM EDT
But not my State's despicable politicians.

http://poststar.com/news/local/supervisors-from-two-counties-go-on-record-against-ny-safe/article_68d75d24-77a6-11e2-b537-0019bb2963f4.html
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 10:55:42 AM EDT
[#1]
A surprising number of County Legislatures are sending resolutions in opposition to the Act and the way it was rammed through.

Certainly no one wants to be wrong, and there are those that will stand for as long as it takes when they believe they are right, but when you have multiple panels of elected leaders TELLING YOU THAT YOU FUCKED UP common sense would dictate a re-evaluation. Sadly, that stubborn fucker in the mansion won't budge so long as he's got peons whispering in his ear about how 65% of the People approve of his actions. What they aren't telling him was the survey sample was 800 people in Westchester County, not the entire State.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:00:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Just read that a couple of my County Legislators are opposed to the Safe Act and are bringing it up in this weeks meeting. I just emailed a couple of them and thanked them and asked if it was an open meeting and if they needed supporters.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 11:32:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
A surprising number of County Legislatures are sending resolutions in opposition to the Act and the way it was rammed through.

Certainly no one wants to be wrong, and there are those that will stand for as long as it takes when they believe they are right, but when you have multiple panels of elected leaders TELLING YOU THAT YOU FUCKED UP common sense would dictate a re-evaluation. Sadly, that stubborn fucker in the mansion won't budge so long as he's got peons whispering in his ear about how 65% of the People approve of his actions. What they aren't telling him was the survey sample was 800 people in Westchester County, not the entire State.  

I'm sure he has a sense of the opposition, but in the end, he's a bully. He proved that as HUD Sec. and as AG.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:03:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You are 100% correct.

When I started putting the list together in the other thread, I knew there were a few counties that had taken a stand. I had no idea it would end up being a list of over 35 counties that had either passed or were in the process of adopting resolutions of opposition. This is far from the first time New York State has passed a bad law, but there has likely never been a response like this before. I don't know what the end result will be, but I am happy to see the growing footprint of the counties standing up for our rights.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't smile when I think about the constant flow of anti-safe resolutions landing on Cuomo's desk.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:23:32 PM EDT
[#5]
The end result, sadly, will be nothing.

The state level politicians are too full of themselves to ever admit they messed up. They law will stand until it makes it to a high enough court to be struck down.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:31:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The state level politicians are too full of themselves to ever admit they messed up. They law will stand until it makes it to a high enough court to be struck down.

I have hope. Hope for a kind of bottom-up reconstruction of the political power structure. It may not be as magnificent as days of old, but it IS happening.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 12:35:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have hope. Hope for a kind of bottom-up reconstruction of the political power structure. It may not be as magnificent as days of old, but it IS happening.

Actually I think the end result may prove to be useful in court.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top