Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2011 8:18:51 AM EDT
PMS-NBC reports NYPD Chief says  NYPD has the hardware to take down a plane!!!

Nothing to see here Citizen, just smile and keep walking....
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 8:32:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Now think about it for a minute; WHERE over the City of New York or anywhere within ten milles of the coast could they possibly shoot down a plane? What would the ramifications be?
"Mayor orders Jumbo Jet shot down over Manhattan....."  He'd need all the SWAT he could find to keep the mob of rioters from drawing & quarteting his sorry ass.
Hell, I have a lazer pointer that "according to experts" could cause a plane to be downed.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 8:33:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Seriously, someone needs to be held accountable. Who do these people think they are? Where does their authority stop? Intelligence operations all over the world, SAM batteries, undercover stings in other states, etc etc. Seems like the NYPD has turned into a private army instead of policing the streets of the city. The crime is running rampant while Bloomy and Kelly play toy soldiers. This is outrageous.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 8:33:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Actually, he is promoting the idea that the .50 cals have brought down planes. From the article:

Police sources told The Post that Kelly and Browne were referring to Barrett .50 caliber rifles that can be mounted on most police helicopters. The bullets can rip through cockpit glass as well as fuselage, and their force has been compared to that of a bazooka.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 8:46:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, he is either talking about their Barrett or the 50 cal MG they are rumored to have as a door gun in the brown anti-terrorism helicopter.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 8:48:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Who knows what these people have? Maybe they are talking about Barretts, maybe SAMs, maybe NYPD F-16s. The point is, they have no authority outside of regular policing duties. But they think they are some kind of an army with unlimited power and resources.

I would love to see them try and shoot down a jet from a police helicopter using .50 BMG. The most ridiculous idea ever. Although, now that I'm thinking about it, that TWA 800 incident could have been an NYPD practice exercise. Hmm, we have to look into that. Maybe officer Shaniquah got an itchy trigger finger on that NYPD SAM.

Kelly and Bloomy are obviously insane and out of touch. Yet the have millions of people's lives at their fingers.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 9:26:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm fairly positive the NYPD doesn't have the power to shoot down any sized aircraft over US land. Doesn't that order have to come from the president himself?
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 9:44:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Popeye must have eaten the purple spinach before he gave that interview.  Good luck getting an Inspector's kid, cousin, nephew, etc. to be able to fire a rifle at a target a few feet across moving at least 3 times the speed of the go-fast boats that they reference in the article from a helicopter.  Even if they do have a BMG that they can mount from their dark helicopter, they'd still be hard pressed to take down a jumbo jet that's screaming into a building, and having it do any less damage than if they just let them crash.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 10:10:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Me thinks that Bloomy and Kelly have not heard of possie commatatus.....
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 10:13:33 AM EDT
[#9]
PC Kelly  must have been drinking BloomButt's  bong water again.

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 10:23:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Didn't he want to ban 50 cals in NY? Good way to get momentum plaster it all over the news that the NYPD can take down planes with a 50 cal so us mere peasants should not be able to get one.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 10:26:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Me thinks that Bloomy and Kelly have not heard of possie commatatus.....

They just think that they are the military.  If they were, they'd probably be more restrained.

I really want to know more about what circumstances would justify a civilian making the decision to down an aircraft, never mind one with 100 or so innocent passengers.

PS. I hear they make heat seeking .50 cal ammunition now, maybe they were relying on those?
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 11:09:43 AM EDT
[#12]
In a day or two there will be a press release where he says "by "take down" I meant enter and retake from hijackers on the ground". (even if that isn't what he meant )
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 12:52:55 PM EDT
[#13]
In before some conspiracy theorist says that TWA flight 800 was accidently shot down by the NYPD.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 12:58:57 PM EDT
[#14]
NYPD is going to nuke Newark
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 1:07:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
In before some conspiracy theorist says that TWA flight 800 was accidently shot down by the NYPD.

Too late. Please see my post above.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 1:08:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
NYPD is going to nuke Newark

I'm sure there's a down side to that…. but at the moment I got nothing.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 2:07:36 PM EDT
[#17]
No one to date has ever told Bloomberg that he can't do anything and everything that he wants, so I don't see much to be surprised about this.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 2:47:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Any speculation one of these is somewhere in Manhattan?
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:01:55 PM EDT
[#19]
The city bought in heavily on the ED-209 project.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:05:13 PM EDT
[#20]
They are always broke and buying MULTI million dollar toys that for the most part are ineffective
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 4:31:45 PM EDT
[#21]
So he heads Mayors Against Illegal Guns and now Mayors for Stinger Missiles

Realistically they either have a portable Stinger missile or more likely they have a air to air missile strapped to one of their helicopters.  There's no way a Barrett .50 is going to down a passenger jet, much less would they even be able to hit a passenger jet at 600mph.  The only remote way that is possible is if they have a machine gun and they just spray 750gr .50cal rounds all over the tristate area and even then its probably not very effective, so I seriously doubt this solution.

It's actually pretty scary because if an F-16 were to intercept a terrorist hijacked passenger plane, the order shoot would come from the president himself.  If they do have some sort of ATG/ATA missile, you know they had to get it from the CIA/Military or some other agency and you clearly don't just hand over a missile to NYC without establishing a protocol on how to use it.  The scary part is that they alluded to the fact that they can't depend on the Federal/Military agencies to protect NYC, so that would mean their protocol does not include a presidential order, which leads me to believe that the chain of command and force protocol lies within the NYC government.

I can't imagine a scenario where the mayor of NYC makes a judgement call BEFORE the president and decides to blow up a passenger plane full of US citizens over in one of the most densely populated cities on the planet and does not get hanged for treason by the monday morning QB's.  A NYPD officer can't even shoot someone he thinks deserves it without the city getting sued and it being turned into a media circus (i.e. Sean Bell and everyone else ever shot by the NYPD)

As scary as it is, it will never happen.  You'll never be able to justify killing US citizens based on something that COULD happen, no matter how likely it is, unless that order comes from the president himself and even then, he would be finished in politics.

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 5:03:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So he heads Mayors Against Illegal Guns and now Mayors for Stinger Missiles

Realistically they either have a portable Stinger missile or more likely they have a air to air missile strapped to one of their helicopters.  There's no way a Barrett .50 is going to down a passenger jet, much less would they even be able to hit a passenger jet at 600mph.  The only remote way that is possible is if they have a machine gun and they just spray 750gr .50cal rounds all over the tristate area and even then its probably not very effective, so I seriously doubt this solution.

It's actually pretty scary because if an F-16 were to intercept a terrorist hijacked passenger plane, the order shoot would come from the president himself.  If they do have some sort of ATG/ATA missile, you know they had to get it from the CIA/Military or some other agency and you clearly don't just hand over a missile to NYC without establishing a protocol on how to use it.  The scary part is that they alluded to the fact that they can't depend on the Federal/Military agencies to protect NYC, so that would mean their protocol does not include a presidential order, which leads me to believe that the chain of command and force protocol lies within the NYC government.

I can't imagine a scenario where the mayor of NYC makes a judgement call BEFORE the president and decides to blow up a passenger plane full of US citizens over in one of the most densely populated cities on the planet and does not get hanged for treason by the monday morning QB's.  A NYPD officer can't even shoot someone he thinks deserves it without the city getting sued and it being turned into a media circus (i.e. Sean Bell and everyone else ever shot by the NYPD)

As scary as it is, it will never happen.  You'll never be able to justify killing US citizens based on something that COULD happen, no matter how likely it is, unless that order comes from the president himself and even then, he would be finished in politics.

Bush ordered it on 9/11....it just never happened.  He got reelected.

The issue of the ultimate authority to implement this plan is really what the issue is here though...
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 5:13:21 PM EDT
[#23]
ordering it is not the same as ordering it and it was done and a plane blew up over NYC killing US citizens.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 7:43:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Wasn't this the same interview where they bragged about having the "Best SWAT Team in the World" (literally)?
I'd be willing to bet the Israeli's could show them a thing or two, but first they'd have to teach them to put their optics on correctly.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 9:13:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:As scary as it is, it will never happen.  You'll never be able to justify killing US citizens based on something that COULD happen, no matter how likely it is, unless that order comes from the president himself and even then, he would be finished in politics.
They order civilians to be blocked from being able to protect their own lives based on what COULD happen, which is the same thing as ordering them killed, and get away with it every day.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 4:03:42 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:As scary as it is, it will never happen.  You'll never be able to justify killing US citizens based on something that COULD happen, no matter how likely it is, unless that order comes from the president himself and even then, he would be finished in politics.

They order civilians to be blocked from being able to protect their own lives based on what COULD happen, which is the same thing as ordering them killed, and get away with it every day.

it's not exactly the same, just like if you threaten to kill someone versus actually killing someone.  but we're just debating semantics at this point, and in the end its just really f)#*ing shady and scary that they have this capability.

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 5:33:06 AM EDT
[#27]
This is getting laughable.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2041882/Mayor-Bloomberg-casts-doubt-police-chiefs-claims-cops-shoot-planes-New-York.html
WHAT WEAPON DOES NYPD HAVE?
Commissioner Ray Kelly refused to give details of the police department's armed capabilities, but sources have revealed that the NYPD has a powerful anti-aircraft weapon that can be mounted to police helicopters.
The NYPD has a Barrett .50 caliber rifle, which it keeps in a safe and is only deployed when their is a heightened threat, according to an New York Post source.
The police department has had the weapon for four years.
The weapon is only available to the military and law-enforcement agencies. It is similar to the guns mounted on Coast Guard helicopters to disable outboard engines on boats during chases.
<snip>
Mr Kelly refused to give details of
whether the NYPD has surface-to-air missiles or armed helicopters with
the capability of bringing down a plane.

Police
sources told the New York Post that Mr Kelly was referring to a weapon
that can be mounted to almost any police helicopter.

The NYPD reportedly has had a Barrett .50 caliber rifle, which is capable of bringing down planes, for the past four years.

The weapon is stored in an NYPD safe and only deployed in high-risk situations, such as when the President is in the city.

<snip>

The NYPD's secret .50 caliber weapon system platform was spotted in NYC today.

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 6:41:48 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Seriously, someone needs to be held accountable. Who do these people think they are? Where does their authority stop? Intelligence operations all over the world, SAM batteries, undercover stings in other states, etc etc. Seems like the NYPD has turned into a private army instead of policing the streets of the city. The crime is running rampant while Bloomy and Kelly play toy soldiers. This is outrageous.

And people still argue that New York City is part of the United States and subject to the Constitution.  I haven't believed it in years.  When I cross the border from Nassau into Queens I always assume I am in a foreign country and act accordingly.  Someday I may start carrying my passport

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 10:21:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

And people still argue that New York City is part of the United States and subject to the Constitution.  I haven't believed it in years.  When I cross the border from Nassau into Queens I always assume I am in a foreign country and act accordingly.  Someday I may start carrying my passport

Ihre Ausweispapiere gefallen

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 11:38:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Even though its a bunch of misguided liberals doing it, I find it very funny that the protesters are engaging in varying degrees of civil disobedience in NYC in the spirit of their rioting middle eastern brothers.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 11:51:43 PM EDT
[#31]
I have absolutely no idea where I got this picture from, but I found it while browsing through an old HDD of mine.

I hope the black helicopters don't show up on me....that's an M249 with a thermal optic no?
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 12:27:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Bloomy
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:41:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Well there was a retraction on sorts in the paper the other day. He said that he didn't mean a passenger jet, but rather a small engine plane.
They could shoot it down from their helicopters. (I think he said with the .50 but I don't recall for sure.)

In other words they're frigging dreaming or they're starting to believe their own nonsense.  Yes I suppose if a terrorist in a single engine plane flew nice and slow and level, with no evasive maneuvers, they might eventually be able to hit it with the fifty.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 3:51:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I hope the black helicopters don't show up on me....that's an M249 with a thermal optic no?

BINGO!

I suppose you could down a plane by shooting & hitting the pilot(s) damaging an engine/engines, hydraulics, etc.  but downing a Jetliner especially over a densely populated area is bullshit. Then again, why would we expect anything else from the leader of NYC?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top