Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2010 7:20:40 AM EDT
Wondering if anyone here knows of or has done business with B-G GUNS or it might be called American Shooters Supply (which is their Gunbroker.com screen name) in Albany, NY?
Have you ever dealt with someone named Jena or Brian from BG Guns?

Considering that I cannot closely inspect a firearm when I buy from GunBroker.com do you think
B-G Guns is a good honest place to buy firearms via GunBroker.com ?
Given their location I am guessing they are a big store.
Today I am going to my FFL's house to pick up a S&W 686-6 with 2.5 inch barrel that I got from B-G Guns.
Although I have only a quick look at the gun they seem like good people to deal with.

What is your experience with them.

Thank You For Taking The Time Here
             VonBarky  in IL.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:35:01 AM EDT
[#1]
From my one experience there they had a good selection of firearms, the sales associate was friendly and answered all of my questions, but the downside was that they were overpriced. I went and bought the same AR15 at a shop up in Round Lake for several hundred less. This was about a year ago when demand was much higher than now and prices were crazy, so they may have come down now.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 9:17:54 AM EDT
[#2]
VonBarkyBuckBuck,

I have been a customer of Brian's for years (as in over a decade).  He can be a royal pain in the ass sometimes, but he is a very good guy to deal with.  You can bid with confidence.  Do not hesitate to ask questions about an auction item.

He has four stores and I know two of them are on Gunbroker.  AmericanShooterSupply as you mentioned and Oakwood Trading Post.  I'm not sure about the others.

As for pricing, keep in mind that his main store is in Albany County.  Higher overhead, higher prices.

David
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:30:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I have dealt with Brian for years with no problems, if there is a problem I know that he goes a long way to make things right. He sent a gun back to the maker for me years ago and the maker lost the case it was shipped in along with 4 mags that they wanted sent back as well. Brian provided me with a GREAT new AR case along with PreBan mags to replace what ArmaLite lost. He knows his shit when it comes to AR's and I would not hesitate to deal with him in the least.
As for high prices, well that is the nature of things where ever you go these days, but I have had him give me good deals over the years.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 2:51:17 PM EDT
[#4]
he's a sharp business man who will deal.  Tough but honest.

I never heard of him playing any games with customers.    I've known him since he was a clerk in one of the stores he later bought out.  Damn that was near 20 years ago.  

I've seen him take guns back to make things right.  Most other places in the area would just function as a shipper to the factory for warranty service.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 2:53:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I've dealt with Brian for almost 20 years at shops he worked as well as owned.always got quality products at fair prices an when he is high I tell him so an sometimes he budges others he don't. Bottom line feel safe when dealing with him
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 4:34:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
From my one experience there they had a good selection of firearms, the sales associate was friendly and answered all of my questions, but the downside was that they were overpriced. I went and bought the same AR15 at a shop up in Round Lake for several hundred less. This was about a year ago when demand was much higher than now and prices were crazy, so they may have come down now.

I've purchased a number of pistols from Brian at B&J and he runs a good business.  Keep in mind that he's the ONLY gun shop in Albany county which is terribly anti-Second Amendment.  That said, I'm willing to pay a small markup to do business there, but have passed on other things because the prices were simply too high.  Zack's in Round Lake is close to my home and I'd recommend them in a heartbeat.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:05:55 PM EDT
[#7]
4 stores. Think B is normally at the Oakwood store and J is normally at Guns Inc. Overpriced and a fair amount of attitude IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:20:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've purchased a number of pistols from Brian at B&J and he runs a good business.  Keep in mind that he's the ONLY gun shop in Albany county which is terribly anti-Second Amendment.  That said, I'm willing to pay a small markup to do business there, but have passed on other things because the prices were simply too high.  Zack's in Round Lake is close to my home and I'd recommend them in a heartbeat.

Yeah Zack's in Round Lake is where I picked up my AR15. I visited a few stores within 30 mins of the capital region and they had the best prices. Their selection isn't as good as B&Js though, so call ahead to see if they have what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:15:17 PM EDT
[#9]

hold on .. you said the shop 'IS' anti 2nd amendment ?.. man are you sure you're talking about the same shop i have been shopping in for ever now ?  over ?
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 2:53:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 3:00:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:37:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Yeah the prices are high in the shop but I figured he caters to a different clientele- people who have $ and don't want to bother screwing around shopping for things on the internet or elsewhere..  I've shopped at B&J forever and it is nice to be able to handle things you haven't seen firsthand before.  I got to check out D-Technik VZ-58s there before anyone else I shop with in NYS was stocking any that was nice. At $999 they were a bit more than I wanted to pay though so I passed.   All in all it is a good shop and obviously moves a lot of guns, I haven't actually bought anything there in a long time but once in a while there is a gem there at a good price.

Does he take things on consignment? I figured that might explain some of the screwy prices on some of the used guns (a sporterized Norwegian Krag comes to mind)??
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:20:07 AM EDT
[#13]
I have bought a couple guns there. Never had a problem with them till recently. The young kid thats always there is a Douch!! But the rest of the staff seem like good people.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 7:29:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

hold on .. you said the shop 'IS' anti 2nd amendment ?.. man are you sure you're talking about the same shop i have been shopping in for ever now ?  over ?

No, he said the shop is in Albany and Albany County is VERY anti-2nd amendment... as in, tough place to do business.

As for prices, at times they are high, but keep this in mind.  He STOCKS what you are looking for most of the time, he doesn't order usually.  That takes a lot of money since most distributors are on a 30 day payment.  So, if he orders $50k in ARs so they are on hand when you want them, he has to order them and pay them off long before they sell.  That ties up a lot of capital that isn't working for him.  Lets face it, when we want to buy a rifle or handgun we want to handle it before committing, the other option is you walk in and say I'd like to buy XYZ... dealer says I can order that.  You put down a deposit, wait and hope it is what you want when it comes in... but you're already locked in if its not since you put down a deposit.  If you are going to compare Brian's prices it is only fair to compare all aspects of the shop, including inventory on hand and what that takes.

Yes, just so there isn't any confusion, I was referring to ALBANY COUNTY being anti-2A.  Brian and B&J stand alone as the ONLY shop in Albany county and deserve our business IMO.  

All of my dealings with B&J have been good ones.  If you want to go fondle all of the AR goodies before you buy, this is the place to go.  I'm not someone who looks for the absolute lowest price before buying something and won't hesitate to buy from Brian where his cost is a bit higher than the next guy's.  Any bricks and mortar shop is going to need to charge a retail markup to keep the doors open and I'm fine with that.  I'd much rather have B&J open for business in Albany where I can touch and feel what I'm buying rather than watch Albany county force out the last of the Mohicans.

Do your homework before you stop by.  Barter if you must.  At the end of the day, I'll pay a reasonable markup because I like going there and value the service and selection.  If the cost of XYZ is really out of whack, I'll buy somewhere else.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 7:30:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Bought some stuff from there over the years. Stoped in and talked with Hiram a couple times. I believe they own special arms and munitions as well which was by far my favorite place to stop when Shawn was still working there. Bought a dpms from there 3 years ago and a couple lowers and odds and ends.

J&J used to be my favorite place around here untill they shut down and they did not like brian at all. The older guy in there knew me pretty well and would always put aside some of the cool 5.56/.223 stuff for me because he knew i would be in and want it.

Now for the bad....
-I was looking for a new remington .308 and went around to a bunch of local places, all of Brians places and scoped everything out and of course looked at what they had for ammo/prices as well. I ended up at dicks and saw a certain person buying up all the ammo that i had not seen stocked at the other places...and later marking it up on their shelf.

-saw a nice preban colt (verified by my iphone/serial look up) that was shipped to them denied ffl transfer because they didnt know the right AWB laws for ny.

-asked for small rifles primers and got laughed at...even though they had a good 50k of them in a display case(later to find out they were just brians personal collection) Oh but i was pointed out the black powder primers

i could tell a couple more stories but i would still like to go into the store sometime if i need somthing.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 8:49:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Jena and Jody...  

Who is Brian?
(I kid, I kid...)

Good folks all.  I've purchased several from his various locations.  Received a few transfers too.  Central Ave has the best selection, but the E. Greenbush store is my favorite.

Buy local, think global (domination).
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 10:20:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Central Ave must have 500 guns on display. Lot of used stuff to poke through. There is one douche there that keeps me from visiting that location more often. I go to E. Greenbush most, no idea why, since i rarely buy there. There may be few stores in Albany Cty, but it ain't that big, 15 minutes away there are other mom and pop stores. If I am going to the movies or the mall on a Saturday, chances are that I visit at least one of the B&J stores.
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 10:19:27 AM EDT
[#18]
I've done some business with B&J.  The guys there are pretty helpful and as previously stated, they don't mind you playing with what they have behind the counters if you ask politely.  They were responsive to all of my questions.

When I bought my first pistol there (HK P2000, .40 cal), they accidentally put it in a 9mm P2000 box, which had the 9mm mags in it.  When I got home and realized it, I went back to the store and let them know and they swapped out the box and gave me 2 free boxes of .40 ammo.  It was mighty nice of them :)
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 10:52:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Went to Taylor and Vadney for the first time yesterday on recommendation from a friend. They had good selection and good prices. Picked up a GSG-5 (used but like new) for $520... NIB were going for ~$590. Friendly guys, and they also sell a bunch of other sporting good supplies (canoes, fishing, etc).

They are on Broadway in Schenectady... so 10 minute drive from Albany. If you end up going, it is at the intersection of around 6 or 7 roads at one point, so its easy to notice/remember. Schenectady has some crazy civil engineers.

http://www.taylorandvadney.com/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top