Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 12:10:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
It really makes me wonder what the dumbasses were thinking when they made counties shotgun only for deer.  Why in God's name would someone pick that deliberately?

Population density is a major reason.   A few years ago a spent slug went into an occupied school classroom just south of Rochester.  Plus, the slugs hit hard.  Not a bad deer round at all.  Accuracy with rifles barrels is pretty good too.  There are few long range shots available in New York state.   More and more areas of the state are being opened up to rifle every years and since accidents do not seem to be increasing more may open.  Heavily populated counties like Monroe will never allow rifles and I am ok with that.  Just too many people and too much buck fever going around.
Range is a completely moot issue when hunting from a treestand as the bullet goes into the ground, and anyone with good sense is always in a treestand when using a rifle for that reason.  Thus population density is no excuse.

Addicted2Fish,

Well if you won't buy that argument, then all the idiots with buck fever out there shooting at anything that move.   Plenty of that goes on.  BTW,  not everyone hunts from a tree stand.  The real hunters stalk their game on the ground.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2009 8:29:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
BTW,  not everyone hunts from a tree stand.  The real hunters stalk their game on the ground.  
Until they catch a slug from some idiot that shoots at running deer or anything else they see moving and think to have a 1% or greater chance of being one.  I'll take being a live hunter with no holes other than the ones God gave me, thank you very much, and not contribute to the apparent pollution of improperly utilized ballistics and encourage others to do likewise.  I still hold that those who hunt deer on the ground in a place not resembling Wyoming or Montana where there is no semblance of a human being on the horizon for miles can be accurately described by one word: foolish.
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 10:23:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm to the point of using old trucks to hunt with....they just come right up to you and the tags are free!

Well those dodge 880s and M1009/9's at work are perfect for that, just before you send them out.
Link Posted: 11/16/2009 11:20:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
BTW,  not everyone hunts from a tree stand.  The real hunters stalk their game on the ground.  
Until they catch a slug from some idiot that shoots at running deer or anything else they see moving and think to have a 1% or greater chance of being one.  I'll take being a live hunter with no holes other than the ones God gave me, thank you very much, and not contribute to the apparent pollution of improperly utilized ballistics and encourage others to do likewise.  I still hold that those who hunt deer on the ground in a place not resembling Wyoming or Montana where there is no semblance of a human being on the horizon for miles can be accurately described by one word: foolish.

You guys must be talking about the Catskills to the NYC line!

Or Buffalo area....

I can only think of one place here in central NY (Basswood Pond near COOPERSTOWN) where things like that happen with regularity.

Mostly it's a MASShole/NYC/CONN/NJ urbanite kind of thing....

No, I'm NOT BASHING ALL Cityslickers!

We had some of our city dwelling hunters at ARFCOM HUNT 09 phase 1, and I'm sure some of the same will show at Phase 2.
All of which I saw good gun handling from
Link Posted: 11/16/2009 6:01:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hunt from the ground. My friends and I prior to deer season were squirrel hunting with .22s and I saw 4 bucks within bow range and one of them gave me a nice broad side.
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 2:25:42 PM EDT
[#6]
This guy came from a Chenango County hillside this AM. Nice sized-body. No tracking required

Link Posted: 11/29/2009 3:33:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 3:58:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I like eating venison too much to hold out for a big rack. Also, the small properties I mostly hunt get lots of pressure around them, so I might be waiting a LONG time for a truly big buck to appear.  I have not had a doe step out in front of me as of yet (that I had a valid doe tag for. I saw 8 on the Chenango Co property on Monday. Man, that sucked as the trigger finger was primed to go!).  

I do think that there have been less hunters out this year. I have generally not heard much shooting this week. I have hunted locations in 3 counties.

I have seen some WHOPPER bucks taken this year from friends' emails and deer seen at my butcher shop. A friend of mine is finally getting his son (25 YO) into hunting. He sets the kid up at a prime spot and he whacked a MASSIVE 7 point with a 22 inch inside spread. Biggest 7 pt I have ever seen by far. Hell of a way to start out, as it will probably only go downhill from there

Link Posted: 11/29/2009 7:02:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This guy came from a Chenango County hillside this AM. Nice sized-body. No tracking required

Was that anywhere near Columbus by any chance. I was out there this morning. Not as lucky as you though!

Link Posted: 11/30/2009 3:54:20 AM EDT
[#10]
not too far from Otselic.

Link Posted: 12/5/2009 6:33:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Bump for the Arfcom deer killing crew to add their dead critter pics!

tagged "button buck"
Link Posted: 12/5/2009 8:45:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I spent 11 days "hunting", biggest thing I saw was a red pine squirrel.

I did manage to get about 12 hours sleep a night and eat 6-7 times a day.
Link Posted: 12/5/2009 9:07:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Just got back from our camp up north tonight;  Our camp hunts hard and we all agreed that this year was the worst we've seen, with not many does to be seen between predation and last winter.  We passed on several small bucks (4-6 point) back in November and pulled out a big 6 and small 7.  We chased a smasher around since Thursday, got a glimpse of him today and wished I had a few more days to spend chasing him.

Shot 2 coyotes on Friday, my first of the season.  (Pics to follow.)  I have time scheduled off over the next few months to hunt them with a vengeance in NY and PA and I'm very much looking forward to it.

Link Posted: 12/20/2009 6:52:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Got a doe with muzzleloader Saturday. Took her from 30 yards with optic sights. I'd use a scope but didn't have time to sight it in. It's my first muzzleloader hunt as well. My older brother got one with bow. Late Archery/ Muzzleloader ends the 22 in Souther Tier. It's been a very good year. 8 deer harvested on our 48 acres since October, 4 bucks, 4 doe. It's my first 2 deer season as well.

Link Posted: 12/20/2009 7:13:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice deer! I have been out a bit  the last few days with my muzzleloader. I passed up a couple small does (possibly fawns) on Friday afternoon. I set up a friend in one of my spots yesterday. He had 3 does coming towards him-but he moved on the crunchy snow and they saw him.

A lot of folks I've talked to have had a poor season. I suspect the deer harvest will be down a good bit. On the other hand, some whopper bucks have been killed this year.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 10:25:20 AM EDT
[#16]
I am hoping to get something done on Long Island ths year.
Wish I was back in Maine.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top