Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2006 5:22:11 PM EDT
I recently moved to Ossining and I go to an indoor range in Pearl River in Rockland County. I'd like to practice my 200 yard shot for the Marines but it's nearly impossible at an indoor 50 foot limit.

Can anyone recommend an outdoor range near Ossining of Westchester county? Or maybe even just any range closer than Pearl River?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:04:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I see you've been to The Firingline.

Nice place but the new / old owner is a PITA.  You're talking about the one under Dunkin Donuts on Middletown Road.

Btw, $20.00 for an all day shoot is ok.  But you must buy their ammo or it's a $10.00 surcharge.

The Westchester Range near Camp Smith is not bad.  I believe it's owned by the county.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:08:58 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I recently moved to Ossining and I go to an indoor range in Pearl River in Rockland County. I'd like to practice my 200 yard shot for the Marines but it's nearly impossible at an indoor 50 foot limit.

Can anyone recommend an outdoor range near Ossining of Westchester county? Or maybe even just any range closer than Pearl River?

Thanks!

You're really close to the Sportsman's Center at Blue Mtn Reservation in Buchanan. Here is the link: Sportsman's Center

The pistol range has been closed since last year and the 100 yd range is pretty "black rifle" unfriendly (single fire only...no loaded mags. Load 1, Shoot 1).

If you can deal with that, it's a nice place to spend a few hours. YMMV.

Whisky19

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:01:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Check out the range in Goshen. Indoor range, 100yd max. They can be a real PITA with Semi-autos but much better then Blue Mountain. This place caps you at 5 rounds max, no rapid fire.  I do not shoot my rifle there only pistols and it costs me $12/hr.

I shoot at Camp Smith when weather permits. Thats where I get to shoot full capacties. Civilian ranges are a bitch about that around here, but indoor ranges are nice to have in
the winter.

BTW, does the Firing line still make you buy their ammo to use their range?? That was when I stopped going to them.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:15:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Check out the range in Goshen. Indoor range, 100yd max. They can be a real PITA with Semi-autos but much better then Blue Mountain. This place caps you at 5 rounds max, no rapid fire.  I do not shoot my rifle there only pistols and it costs me $12/hr.

I shoot at Camp Smith when weather permits. Thats where I get to shoot full capacties. Civilian ranges are a bitch about that around here, but indoor ranges are nice to have in
the winter.

BTW, does the Firing line still make you buy their ammo to use their range?? That was when I stopped going to them.

I thought about trying out the Goshen range once but at $22/hr for rifles...no thanks!

Can the general public shoot at Camp Smith when they want or only during one of the NYS High Power shoots?

Thx!

Whisky19
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:49:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

the winter.

See above.  Yea, they make you buy their ammo or it's a 10 dollar surcharge.  The last time I was there what I did was buy a couple of boxes of 22 mini mags for my P22 and when I shot anything else it was Winchester White box.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:37:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, the thing at The Firing Line is that the rules change everytime I go there. There's a new charge or there's a forgotten charge on every visit.

I complained about the cost of the 5.56 ammo last time and he said to go to Walmart and pick some up for cheaper. He didn't mention a surcharge.

Also, some other guy stopped in with some of his own ammo and there was no mention of a surcharge that time either.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:44:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

You're really close to the Sportsman's Center at Blue Mtn Reservation in Buchanan. Here is the link: Sportsman's Center

The pistol range has been closed since last year and the 100 yd range is pretty "black rifle" unfriendly (single fire only...no loaded mags. Load 1, Shoot 1).

If you can deal with that, it's a nice place to spend a few hours. YMMV. hisky19

One shot at a time? What the heck is the point of that? I just called to find out and there was no answer. I wouldn't mind going out there to practice but that sounds lame. Reloading after EVERY shot? That has to be wrong.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:47:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

the winter.he

What's the name of the range in Goshen?

And where's this Camp Smith place?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:37:12 PM EDT
[#9]
once spring rolls around you can attend Highpower shoots at camp smith,  there are usually 2 per month. 200, 300 and 600 yards.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:53:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

There is no range that is open to general public at Camp Smith. NY Highpower runs a SAFS program and the league holds service rifle competitions at Camp Smith and throughout the state.

www.dmna.state.ny.us/rental/cp-smith.html

www.nyhighpower.com/

ANNOUNCING THE 2006 U.S. SERVICE RIFLE SMALL ARMS FIRING SCHOOL (SAFS)

Have an interest in Service Rifle competition? The 2006 SAFS will be held at Camp Smith on April 8th & 9th and at the Peconic River Sportsman's Club on April 29th & 30th. Here you will learn from national champions, receive one-on-one coaching, and qualify to purchase a surplus M1 Garand rifle from the CMP. For more information and a complete program, choose a link below:
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:23:35 PM EDT
[#11]
The only range have 200 yd I know is Blue Trail range at Wallingford, CT. $18.00 for a day. It is off I-91 .rt.68.  about 1 hr 45 mi drive for you. very frindly with black rifle.  I will go to Blue Mts for skeet and .22 only.  Hope the Hand gun range will open up soon. It will be great place when it re-open.

fourguns
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:40:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the winter.

What's the name of the range in Goshen?

I cant remember its the old Knights Range. Take RT17 towards Middletown and get off Exit 125 Goshen. Make a left, left at the light and look for the blue sign indicating a Sportsman Range on the right. Total time off the exit 10mins to get there.

Camp Smith is a NY Army National Guard Training Post. It is not open for civilians except during sanctioned matches.

Another great place is Wooster Mtn Range in Danbury, CT. 50yd outdoor range basically a Free for all. $15/day and they provide you target sheets. I have even seen guys shooting Full Autos. Also, CT allows for non licensed individuals to shoot pistols at a range.  I usually bring new shooters there while they await the long pistol license process in NY. If you like the range, be sure to apply for a CT CCW non-resident permit so carrying is not an issue. It is a simply application process.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:26:01 PM EDT
[#13]
When my son was 12 he went through a revolver course that included live fire that was run by one the PD's in CT.

CT has a different AWB then NYS. Some preban rifles (Colt AR-15 for one) that are legal in NY are banned in CT.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:19:56 AM EDT
[#14]
The man was correct, the Westchester County Range is single round only for rifles. None in the mag, reload after every shot. You also have to sit at the bench. I went there once and will never go back.

Go to Blue Trail in Wallingford or the Town of Huntington Range off of Route 110 on LI. Also some places just over the PA border off of I84 on State Game land. Or join one of the private ranges in Dutchess. Westchester dosn't have alot of options.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top