Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2006 7:53:07 PM EDT
buffalonews.com/editorial/20060102/2052827.asp

State should permit citizens to carry concealed handguns
1/2/2006
I would like to comment on the Dec. 28 News editorial, "Credible action in Albany." If the governor and State Legislature were serious about public safety, they would abolish the Sullivan Act and bring New York law in line with other states like Pennsylvania and Ohio, which allow ordinary people to carry a concealed handgun so they can protect themselves. The Wisconsin Legislature recently passed a bill with a veto-proof 2-1 majority that will soon make it the 39th state with such a law.

Meanwhile, legislators in Albany continue to defy common sense by thinking that violent thugs with felony rap sheets a mile long will obey new tougher laws against "illegal" guns. Other states don't export their guns to us. New York imports thugs from other states, who know liberals are working hard to perpetuate an environment where they can ply their trade with little fear of arrest and prosecution or of armed citizens exercising their right of self-defense.

Jacob Rieper

Legislative Director

New York State Rifle & Pistol Association

and another person wrote a letter informing people of gun facts
buffalonews.com/editorial/20060103/5053010.asp

Armor-piercing ammunition was banned many years ago
1/3/2006
The Dec. 28 editorial on criminal justice changes passed recently in Albany ended by saying, "Democrats still should push for a ban on armor-piercing bullets." Well, I'm happy to inform The News that armor-piercing ammunition was banned at the federal level almost 20 years ago, so that's already been done. As a result, to my knowledge, no police officer has ever been killed by a bullet piercing a Kevlar vest.

It makes me wonder what the far left-wing Albany Democrats are after. Maybe it's ordinary rifle hunting ammunition, which bullet-proof vests were never designed to protect against in the first place.

Doug Kreinheder

Cattaraugus

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:47:52 PM EDT
[#1]
In regards to AP ammo it is still avaible - I went to a show in syracuse last yr and a lady tried telling me that the ammo i was looking at was AP ammo and being in the service I knew Green Tip bullets werent AP bullets so I decided to buy some for shits and giggles and I guess she was right that ammo I bought was indeed AP ammo and couldnt belive it. I was able to put a hole clean threw a 10 x 10 4 in thick stainless steel plate. So it is out there still  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:21:57 AM EDT
[#2]
All pistol caliber armor piercing ammo is restricted under federal law.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:56:54 PM EDT
[#3]
That could be very true about pistol ammo but I was just saying I Picked up AP ammo at a gun show even thou AP is supose to be forbidden in NYS - to be exact 5.56x45 (.223) and also 7.62x51 (.308)
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:13:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I was able to put a hole clean threw a 10 x 10 4 in thick stainless steel plate. So it is out there still  

Even .50 cal armor piercing wouldnt make it "threw" 4 inches of stainless steel, let alone .223.

The main point of the second letter was that armor piercing pistol caliber ammo had already been banned from civilian sales a long time ago. But the editor of an article in the Buffalo News was still saying the Democrats should continue to push for a ban on it anyways.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:18:38 AM EDT
[#5]
AP 50 caliber ammo is/was available at a gun store in the Buffalo area not that long ago.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:26:08 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
AP 50 caliber ammo is/was available at a gun store in the Buffalo area not that long ago.

And it still is for sale at the Buffalo Gun Center store. But that is legal to purchase because its in rifle caliber. There is no law making it illegal to own armor piercing rifle ammunition. Just armor piercing pistol ammunition.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:31:53 AM EDT
[#7]
The ATF determines what specific AP ammo is banned. The AP ammo you see for sale is not illegal. If it was up to Silvernut all ammunition in NY would be banned.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top