Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2005 3:27:14 PM EDT
Heads up guys....if possible, please post your checked gun /  (air) travel experiences.

-----------------------------

http://www.packing.org/community/flying_with_guns/listview/7129

NYSP checking permits for inbound travelers?
There is a post on Glock Talk, where a guy round-trip from Syracuse to WA state nine days ago. On his return, he was greeted by LE officers in baggage claim who wanted to verify his NY permit. He asserts that his bag had no outward markings.

Just a friendly reminder to have your NY permit with you if you travel with your handguns...I cannot attest to the veracity of his posting...I will be flying the 2nd week in January. If I were to speculate, I would say this is tied into

1. The recent police shootings in NYC
2. Pataki announced a NYSP/BATFE task force where NYSP would be granted federal police powers.

In any event, exercise due caution. One minute spent in cuffs because of a *honest* or *simple* mistake is sixty seconds too long.

'Drew

-----------
HFD190
12-29-2005 01:19 AM

9 days ago I flew Syracuse, NY to Seattle, WA on Northwest Airlines. I have concealed carry licenses in both states. I simply researched both TSA and NWA online and followed their requirements. I also used a lot of the info from: http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=413514 which cjlandry already referenced in the post. I found that this information was very helpful and I was grateful for finding it before I flew for the first time with a weapon.

Syracuse is a relatively small airport, the TSA guys were not familiar with TSA’s policy regarding my G23 that was appropriately packed in my suitcase. This included ammo in the mag as detailed in the post linked above… They however were an absolute pleasure to work with when I produced my printed copy of the information that I had obtained from their webpage. I simply told them that I am an armed citizen that is doing my best to follow the rules, and that seemed to go a long way with them. I thanked them for working hard and doing a good job and I was through their security checkpoint with a smile in about 3 minutes. No problems at all. When I arrived in Seattle, nothing but smiles…

When I arrived on my return trip to Syracuse, there was a slight delay with the city police dept. that wanted to check my license which I had expected due to the crazy laws here in NY. Otherwise my entire experience was very positive.

Lessons Learned: Expect some minor delays and do your homework. The folks at the airlines and TSA are not familiar with the regs regarding CCW, but they seem very easy to work with…

Good luck, BE SAFE!

And

HFD190
12-29-2005 09:56 PM

quote:
Yes, the police basically were waiting for me to claim the bag. When I proceeded to the baggage claim area there were 3 officers that were in the area just observing, this seemed normal to me, increased police presence in the airport, etc. When I retrieved my bag, one officer approached me and asked to see my NYS pistol license. I have read stories in the local newspaper detailing travelers that had flown into NY State airports that have been arrested and charged for illegal possession, this is why I was not entirely surprised to speak to the police. I have no idea who notifies who, or how the local police where able to pick me out of the crowd. I’m sure that they are probably violating my rights in some manor. When I arrived, I was late and in a hurry. I was legal, it took ten seconds and I didn’t want to spend any more time than I absolutely had to. Pretty much smiled, yessir’d a lot and left.

As I said, I have no idea how they identified me. There were no stickers on the outside of my suitcase. Oh well. Part of the issue probably has to do with the fact that you can’t legally posses a handgun in NY State without a NY State license and they don’t issue non-residents. Maybe they look at everyone entering the state by air who has declared a gun? I was thinking of emailing the airport administrator to just inquire about the policy, if there is one.

Anyone that has any info on this, I would be interested.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:09:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Having flown out of Syracuse numerious times transporting handguns in checked baggage I can tell you these few points:
You must ask for and fill out a "Firearms Declaration" certifying the firearms are unloaded, then the baggage containing the firearm(s) will be screened by a TSA agent. In the case of a handgun, a Syracuse Police Officer will be called over to check the owners licenses against the make/model/serial number of the handgun(s) if everyting is in order, the TSA agent will close the bag apply a seal. and send the baggage into system.
I have never been stopped nor questioned when returning in spite of filling out another declaration for the return trip. Doesn't mean it won't happen, just hasn't.
Becasue of NY's handgun laws, and the frequency in which Soldiers arriving there enroute to Ft. Drum bring in unlicensed handguns I suspect the ailine agents are tipping off the Police when a passenger has a declaration.
Handgun law in NY varies from County to County and Judge to Judge with only a few things being universal.  Quite often some trucker get stopped at the border or at the gates of Ft. Drum with a handgun. When this occures the owner is arrested, the handgun is siezed, and the individual is brought before the Town Judge (who could be most anyone elected ie Farmers, Carpenters,...) who will usually fine the violator and confiscate the pistol. Again it's case by case and I damn sure wouldn't want to take my chances in one of the larger citys or countys. As always, YMMV.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:29:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:41:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I have no idea how SPD would know you were flying in with a gun.  It's only detected in Washington State, there is no screening of luggage after it arrives in NY (duh).  The only things I can think of are (i) Washington called NYS to tell them a gun was on the way or (ii) the airline called NYS to tell them a gun was on the way.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:51:33 AM EDT
[#4]
It had me scratching my head too. TSA does not check for ID when the do the scan / xray, so that would mean that the airlines are submitting this info.

Unless bags are being scanned on arrival, like they do in Canada, Japan (certain ports), UK (certain ports).

Someone flying in/out of Albany that resides in Bennington, VT could be in a world of trouble if they have a checked gun on the return leg.

/ml
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:53:34 AM EDT
[#5]
The TSA doesn't need a name to track you. All the TSA/PD needs is the airline checked bag tag info and then they just wait for you to collect the bag at the carousel. I'm guessing the Washington TSA either x-rayed or pulled the bag for a random search (after it was checked) and notified the Syracuse TSA.

In any case you need to have your NY license on your person anytime you are in possession of your handguns (outside your castle).

My other guesses are:
  • Washington TSA routinely notified Syracuse TSA who notified Syracuse PD

• Washington PD notified Syracuse PD

• Airlines notified Syracuse TSA who notified Syracuse PD

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 10:09:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Clarification: What I meant is, I have never seen any mechanisms in place where the TSA would be able to notify anyone (no terminals, laptops, bar code readers, paper, etc).
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:09:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:14:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Someone flying in/out of Albany that resides in Bennington, VT could be in a world of trouble if they have a checked gun on the return leg.

/ml

I would think that the Mc Clure/Volkmeryer (sp) act of 1986 would lend Federal Provisions to protect someone traveling thru NY with a handgun.
A police Officer may or may not really know or understand the application of Federal laws in cases of persons traveling thru NY. Obviously, some are selective in their judgement.
In the refrence above where "truckers are stopped and a handgun is discovered..." most folks that are in custody would just as soon forfet the gun, pay the fine and get the hell out of NY.  But since he's traveling thru, a case of selectivity or violation of Federal law could be brought.
Sorry to hi-jack the thread by going on a tangent....It is curious that someone tipped off SPD that your baggage contained a firearm, again maby an un-official policy has been intregrated between airline personnell and the SPD.  NYS handgun laws suck and it really saddens me that our soilders are looseing (even if temporairly) their handguns because they "didn't know any better".  The only exceprtion is LEO's who by Federal Law who are now mostly exempt from the Sullivan Act.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:41:15 PM EDT
[#9]
As a Former NYer , I fail to see why this surprises anyone.

Rest easy Gentlemen , your "Homeland" is secure...............
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:54:02 PM EDT
[#10]
To set the record straight, I am not the person who was questioned by the Syracuse PD.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:50:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Check this one out.  Guy is in air marshal training and comes back to NY with a pistol and winds up in jail.

www.911jobforums.com/vB/showthread.php3?t=51117

I don't understand if he was an Air Marshall why a A/M supervisor wasn't immediately called to straighten things out. I'm pretty sure they have an office at all airports they regularly operate out of. I also don't understand why he resigned from the AMS. There has got to be more to this story. In any case the whole incident is ridiculous since every dirtbag gangbanger in NYC has easy access to illegal handguns.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:09:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:20:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Yeah I read that too. AFAIK you have to be  a sworn member of a LEA to attend any type of training program. In any case the whole incident was ridiculous. The ADA should hold his head in shame for pursuing the charges. I still think there is more to the story then was posted.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:28:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I like the fact he didn't want to call the NRA or get involved about carry issues.,\..After all thats why he has no job now because of the different carry issues between states.....

This guy is better off not going into law inforcement. He is the type that would be a robot and not think for himself...Another one not to worry about screwing with you out there.

Edit...I need to correct this..Since I do not know the guy he might not be a robot or screw with Civies....So let me correct this and apologize because I was pissed. After all if you wanted something for 13yrs or more of your life. Then finally make it and a stupid law screws your whole life up. Would you give up that fast?
I mean he don't want to make waves but his whole life is now on hold. If it was me I would fight tooth and nails. I would not just say well it's NYS law and I screwed up. Maybe if I didn't have a clean sheet I would, but this guy FAM status and I know he put sweat & blood into getting in. It just makes me boil to see a person screwed by the NYS law.
I wish he would fight for what he wants...his dream is gone..Any Federal Job is gone if he doesn't speak up.

Am I wrong or is he right just saying Oh well....Maybe he really didn't want it that much to start with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top