Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2005 9:22:10 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:38:45 AM EDT
[#1]
If you have a full carry or CCW loaded is 100% legal. From what i understand, If you have a premise or hunting permit, it must be unloaded and stowed in the trunk or away from "convienent access".
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:38:46 AM EDT
[#2]
This may vary county to county.  My Nassau county permit is for range and hunting where permitted.  I do not have the pistol booklet with me just now, but I recall the logic told to me was that there would be a lot of thugs with baseball bats hanging out near pistol ranges to get a handgun without having to pay for it.  (Implication, carry it loaded because its just a hunk of metal unloaded.)  Just make sure you unload as you enter the Mitchell Field Range or when entering the Mineola HQ of Nassau PD.  (Although I usually carry a new gun with no ammunition at all and in a paper bag when going in to Mineola to add it to my license.   And never ever step across the stopline there without being told to do so, LOL.)
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:43:43 AM EDT
[#3]
You'd have to be nucken futz to carry an unloaded pistola to a range. Yeah I know the regulations in NYC for target licenses.

Nassau County Pistol Handbook

Suffolk County Pistol Handbook
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:56:02 PM EDT
[#4]
In Suffolk you MUST carry concealed when transporting to and from the target range.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:15:17 PM EDT
[#5]

In Suffolk you MUST carry concealed when transporting to and from the target range.

Thats a given, there is no such thing as "Open Carry" anywhere in NY state.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:03:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Just as a side note here, my permit, as I suppose many others in Suffolk County states f,1.  The 1 being target and hunting, which is self explanatory, however what about the F, which is described as Proper Cause, it seems a little vague.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:44:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

That's not exactly true.  To Open carry, you need to go through a 6 month academy, then for the next 20 years, be hated, belittled, unappreciated, and sometimes loved.  Then you can open carry for 8 or so hours a day.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:35:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's not exactly true.  To Open carry, you need to go through a 6 month academy, then for the next 20 years, be hated, belittled, unappreciated, and sometimes loved.  Then you can open carry for 8 or so hours a day.

Hahaha, LOL, we still you you Vinnie.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:01:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Here in Dutchess, there is only one license, and that is to carry.

When I lived in Westchester, I was told I could not be trusted to carry a loaded pistol except when going to/from the range or hunting.

Now I can go into Westchester 24/7 and the best they can do is tell me to have a nice day (provided I wasn't doing anythining wrong of course).

With the influx of urban dwellers into Dutchess, I suspect the political makeup and the carry rules will change for the worse.  Dutchess is probable what Westchester was 30 years ago.

NY sucks.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:57:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I see armored car guards open carrying all the time
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:36:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I must now make the obligatory comment on my hometown:

If you are in NYC, do not carry, whether concealed, open, locked in a case, etc., unless you have a valid NYC permit or are Wave/Vinnie.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:12:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:33:50 AM EDT
[#13]
So, rkbar15, are you suggesting that target shooters keep their pistols loaded while in their hard cases when traveling to the range.  It would be impossible to retrieve it quickly for self defense if confronted.  Would need to carry a seperate, accessible pistol for defense.

All counties have diff regs regarding handguns and permits.  In Niagara county we only have concealed carry permits.  Erie county has multiple types of permits.

But verify this with your own pistol permit clerk.  Police are in no way experts on firearms or the specific laws regarding them.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:54:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
So, rkbar15, are you suggesting that target shooters keep their pistols loaded while in their hard cases when traveling to the range.  It would be impossible to retrieve it quickly for self defense if confronted.  Would need to carry a seperate, accessible pistol for defense.

All counties have diff regs regarding handguns and permits.  In Niagara county we only have concealed carry permits.  Erie county has multiple types of permits.

But verify this with your own pistol permit clerk.  Police are in no way experts on firearms or the specific laws regarding them.

No, I was referring to weapons carried on your person. Cased weapons should be carried unloaded.

Outside of NYC you will be issued a Pistol License to carry a concealed handgun on your person. Under NYS law there is no such classification as a "target" restricted (or any other type of restricted license). Some counties like Nassau and Suffolk have made up their own types of restricted licenses. These are administrative restrictions in NC, SC and elseware and are not criminal offenses. You cannot be prosecuted for carrying outside of you restrictions as no such law exists in the NYS Penal Law. The Judge or Police Commissioner (Nassau & Suffolk) can sanction you in an administrative hearing and revoke your license or otherwise spank you.  

None of the above is applicable to New York City or to New York State "premises" or other types of pistol licenses as enumerated in NY PL Article 400 .

assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?cl=82&a=72

Penal

ARTICLE 400
          LICENSING AND OTHER PROVISIONS RELATING TO FIREARMS
Section  400.00 Licenses to carry, possess, repair and dispose of
                 firearms.

2. Types of licenses. A license for gunsmith or dealer in firearms
shall be issued to engage in such business. A license for a pistol or
revolver, other than an assault weapon or a disguised gun, shall be
issued to (a) have and possess in his dwelling by a householder; (b)
have and possess in his place of business by a merchant or storekeeper;
(c) have and carry concealed while so employed by a messenger employed
by a banking institution or express company; (d) have and carry
concealed by a justice of the supreme court in the first or second
judicial departments, or by a judge of the New York city civil court or
the New York city criminal court; (e) have and carry concealed while so
employed by a regular employee of an institution of the state, or of any
county, city, town or village, under control of a commissioner of
correction of the city or any warden, superintendent or head keeper of
any state prison, penitentiary, workhouse, county jail or other
institution for the detention of persons convicted or accused of crime
or held as witnesses in criminal cases, provided that application is
made therefor by such commissioner, warden, superintendent or head
keeper; (f) have and carry concealed, without regard to employment or
place of possession, by any person when proper cause exists for the
issuance thereof;
and (g) have, possess, collect and carry antique
pistols which are defined as follows: (i) any single shot, muzzle
loading pistol with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar
type of ignition system manufactured in or before l898, which is not
designed for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition;
and (ii) any replica of any pistol described in clause (i) hereof if
such replica--
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:27:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Many times while I was walking from my parked car to the range, which has its entrance on the city sidewalk,  I have been leary of people walking near me.  It's not the nicest part of town and I do not carry concealed too often.  It would be easy for someone to grab my case and run.

Now when I go to the public rifle range out in the sticks, I always try to keep a loaded EBR in hand in case someone takes a liking to my weapons.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:16:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes, technically any restrictions placed on your permit by your county are illegal bullshit, as basically NYS only issues and recognizes 2 types of permit...Carry Concealed and Premise.

What we were taught in our required (and also technically illegal) pistol permit class in Erie County, is that such restrictions are not recognized outside the county, i.e. I am carrying concealed in Niagara, or Cattaraugus, or whatever (obviously not including NYC), any LEO would not even "see" the restriction. It is a NYS Carry Concealed permit, thats that.

I may (must) carry the gun concealed if on my way to or from target shooting or hunting. It doesn't define a time period. I can be planning to go target shooting later that day. I can be on my way to a friends to go target shooting later.

We were also told that generally unless you were being stupid, or the LEO was a real asshole, LEO's in Erie County don't care about the restrictions.

Its too bad we have to put up with illegal and unconstitutional BS, but you can thank the assholes running the county.....
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:19:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Yeah, but hell, neither are the people at the pistol permit office. Ask two different clerks the same question, and most likely you won't get the same answer....
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:26:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Its too bad we have to put up with illegal and unconstitutional BS, but you can thank the assholes running the county.....

Actually you can thank the crotchety old Judges sitting on the New York State Court of Appeals. They have ruled that your licensing officer can place administrative restrictions on your pistol license.

BTW it ain't unconstitutional until either SCOTUS or the NYSCOA says it is.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:04:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:22:19 PM EDT
[#20]
You would be foolish to carry outside of your restricted license and risk having it revoked. If your license is revoked in any county you will most likely never be issued a new license in any county in NY.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:19:47 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
You would be foolish to carry outside of your restricted license and risk having it revoked. If your license is revoked in any county you will most likely never be issued a new license in any county in NY.

I concur with this and the above posts. I was not attempting to provide any gospel, just passing along what we were taught at the permit class.

However in response to this particular post....that is part of the point. I believe, and I was taught, that if another county does not have any BS restrictions, LEO's will not recognize the restrictions, as as far as they are concerned, it is a NYS Carry Concealed permit.

Of course I guess it ultimately depends on the LEO. If he is anti-gun prick who wants to jam you, I guess he could...

As with anything when it comes to this stuff...YMMV, make your own decision on what you choose to do.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:59:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Contrary to what some may believe many judges in NYS are not anti-gun and are pistol license holders themselves. If you are "caught" carrying outside of your restrictions you won't necessarily have your license revoked. That probably doesn't apply in NC or western SC where the county police are your licensing officer.

You need to weigh the possibility of having your license revoked vs. being dead for a long time.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:58:29 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I must now make the obligatory comment on my hometown:

If you are in NYC, do not carry, whether concealed, open, locked in a case, etc., unless you have a valid NYC permit or are Wave/Vinnie.

or a FED!

That be me..
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:09:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:15:55 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Oh fuck Cris, you became a Fed?

Yes, but not the dog killing kind. I gave up on FDNY-EMS after 16 years. The job went to hell ever since we merged.....To say we were treated like 2nd class citizens would be the understatement of the year. FDNY took a job I loved and turned it into a nightmare........Just got hired by the Federal Air Marshals for an instant 25k raise....
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:32:46 PM EDT
[#26]
I thought everyone on ARFCOM was a fed.

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:14:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:20:10 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Air Marshall with no prior LEO experience?  Damn... be safe brother!  I hear the constant air travel is a real bitch on the respiratory system, a lot of illness.

No LEO Experience, but:

MBA
BS (Biology)
Two tour combat veteran (OIFI and OIFII)
Trilingual (Greek and French)
TS clearance
USSS and State Dept clearance (Presidential)
and a host of other things that literally put me at the top of their 'want' list...(only 150 hired out of 22,000+ applications)
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Wow!  ChrisLe does Greek and French!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:30:04 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Wow!  ChrisLe does Greek and French!

If I could only teach the g/f to do the same, I'd be set for life..
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:10:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:39:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Great Feds in Valley Stream Congrats on the new gig!!
Now we gotta watch out what we say at the shoots
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:05:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:42:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:59:25 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Way to go Wave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You finally got that gig as Officer McGruff the crime dog?

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:13:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:08:45 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I thought everyone on ARFCOM was a fed.

Or a NARC!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top