Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2005 1:48:35 PM EDT

(I knew this was coming.  Calsolaro is acting up again.)

SAY “NO” TO GUN VIOLENCE

NOON RALLY FOR PEACE

When: Tuesday, August 23, 2005, 12:00 p.m.

Where: Martin Luther King, Jr. Statue, Lincoln Park

Why: 179 Firearm-related incidents in Albany
September 28, 2003 – August 7, 2005

Speakers and Supporters:
Leonard Morgenbesser, Ph.D
Terry O’Neill, Esq.
Mike Breslin, County Executive
Barbara Smith
Coalition for Change and Hope
New Yorkers Against Gun Violence (NYAGV)

Sponsored By:
County Legislator – Luci McKnight
Common Council Member – Dominick Calsolaro
Common Council Member – Carolyn McLaughlin

Jacob J. Rieper, Legislative Director
New York State Rifle & Pistol Association
http://www.nysrpa.org
http://www.rpa-pac.org
Yahoo! Messenger ID: nyrkba

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:31:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:40:35 PM EDT
[#2]
members of this site? not in support of it, but they might go to recon it. if, for example, someone worked in the area and had their lunch break at that time they might scout it out to see the loons in action
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:20:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Hiram, we will await your report.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:29:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:52:37 PM EDT
[#5]
We all here should be against gun violence and so should every law abiding citizen. But  if you say your "against gun violence" and trying to pass a new AWB or limit the rifles a target shooter can own, your way off and not doing anything to stop gun violence.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:56:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Yahoo! Groups My Groups | NYSRPA-alert Main Page

From the Times Union:

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=391688&category=ALBANY&BCCode=LOCAL&newsdate=8/24/2005

Parents, public officials and peace activists called for new ways to combat gun violence at a rally on Tuesday.

"The first thing one thinks of when talking about peace and guns is the Iraq war, but peace issues are much bigger than that," said Bill Washburn, who teaches at the College of Saint Rose.

Barbara Smith, a community activist and candidate for Common Council, agreed that issues discussed on an international level also must be faced locally. "We can't have world peace without addressing quality of life where we live," she said.

The comments by Washburn and Smith came at a Say No to Gun Violence rally at the Martin Luther King Jr. statue in Lincoln Park. Speakers included Albany County District Attorney David Soares, Albany Police Chief James Turley and city Councilman Dominick Calsolaro.

"I'm tired of fluff legislation," said County Legislator Wanda Willingham, whose son was fatally shot in their home in the city. "I chose this forum to put it to my other legislators and to you, DA Soares, to do something."

In Albany, there have been almost 200 firearm-related incidents in the past two years. She demanded an end to the way guns "terrorize our communities" and to plea bargaining gun crimes.

James Tucker, a South End resident who was one of the five dozen people at the event, asked: "What do kids have today? The corner. What do they learn there? How to pull a trigger and shoot a gun. As they talk and form councils, my babies are dying. Talk is cheap."

Soares said Albany should look to successful programs across the country and state, including those in Boston and Rochester.

"If we had a disease causing as much harm and death, we'd have a public health emergency," Leonard Morgenbesser, a longtime critic of gun violence, told the crowd.

From Tom who was there:

Attendees at the Albany anti-gun violence rally

9 Newsies
8 Politicians
4 Cops
2-3 New Yorkers Against Gun Violence
2 Activist ministers one of whom who has advocated legalization of drugs and prostitution in the past. Who also called all gun owners red necks.
8 or 9 Albany residents
1 pro gun activist… me

It was a poor attempt at a dog and pony show against guns. 2 college professors spoke on the great psychological cost involved with gun violence and the other spoke of economic impact.

One cop spoke of the program instituted by the Mayor “Project Impact” that works in conjunction with the NSSF and supported by us. He was hustled off.

Back Story:

The politicians involved were all extremely liberal who support the tenets of George Soros and may, like the current D.A., be supported by his outside money. This is part of a clear attempt to take control of a typical moderate Democratic city by liberal activists of the Soros ilk.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:12:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You think I'm going to Lincoln Park?  Nuh-uh!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top