Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2005 3:08:26 AM EDT
The Association of NJ Rifle & Pistol Clubs, in it's expanding role of representing the gun owners of the State, is taking on the municipalities, police and petty bureaucrats that do not obey the law.
By law, an honest citizen is supposed to get his/her FID card within 30 days. Very few citizens get this proper treatment. Three to six months seem to be the norm. It seems that Mike Bodner, ANJRPC Legal Affairs Committe Chairman has found a way to get the attention of the BLOCKERS. The most recent newsletter of the Association relates a number of stalling cases that were successfully resolved. If you are having problems give Mike a call at 973-293-8239.

Hopefully this information will help some of you new guys. The ANJRPC is New Jersey's premier "gun rights" organization in the State. I wonder if they can also help with getting pistol permits in a timely fashion too?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:36:58 AM EDT
[#1]
The problem is not necessarily the muncipality in all cases. It's the State Police background check that they have to do. This thing can take between one and two months to come back to the municipality. I know because my local permit guy has been completely upfront with me about it, and we've done it a couple times and seen how long it's taken.

The other delay that can be caused is references, but you have control over this so ensure that your refs send their letters in. Always make sure your friends are ok with you listing them as a reference, obviously.

Now, when the delay is close to like six months, I would say you can rule out it being a problem with refs or the state police, because I've never seen the SBI check take that long, even with prints.

The thing that has always scared me, and I am sure has intimidated a lot of applicants, is the vague wording of some of those questions on the form.

In any case, I'm glad ANJRPC is taking it upon themselves to do something about this. I've never had a problem with my departments (knock on wood!) but I sympathize with those who have. You shouldn't have to go through that kind of scrutiny and harassment if you're a law abiding person.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:13:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top