Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2005 12:14:41 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:38:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, the Assembly votes this week (& maybe as early as TODAY) on the "new & improved" AWB.

Got something better to do besides defend your birthright as a free man?  

Time is short folks, so E-mails, phone calls & faxes are the order of the day!

C'mon... let's make our voice heard in Albany before it's too late!!!

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:59:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is a response I got today from assemblyman Robert Oaks:

March 7th 2005

Dear ZW17,
   Thank you for your recent email (I sent him a letter) message regarding Bill A.3371 which would repeal the grandfather clause in the definition of assult weapon which currently allows the possession of an assult weapon if it was possessed befofe Sept. 9, 1994 or if the weapon was manufactured on or before Oct. 1, 1993. I appreciate your input on this bill.

You can be assured of my opposition to this legislation.

Again, thank you for your message. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any further questions or comments.

Sincerly,

Robert Oaks

Well, he has 1/2 a clue about the laws but hey, if he votes no we'll  just have to educate him later
Link Posted: 3/22/2005 6:46:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I got this reply today from Senator Volker:

Please be aware that I fully oppose those bills that you mentioned in your
e-mail to me.  I have been a constant supporter of the 2nd Amendment and I
will do all that I can to ensure that New York's law-abiding gun owners
right's are not eroded by downstate representatives.

Regards,

Senator Dale M. Volker

Link Posted: 3/22/2005 7:23:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I have had a few emails return because their mail has reached capacity..LOL  Keep up the good work guys we are definately getting their attention. I have a feeling they will delay this final vote awhile in hopes that all the furor will die down....If you haven't already contacted senate members,
assembly members or the Governor let them know how you feel before it's too late. If you already have, send a few more.... LOL
Link Posted: 3/23/2005 1:49:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I received the Following Alert :

Sen. Eric Schneiderman has filed a motion to discharge S-2445.  He's trying to bypass Codes and move it to the floor.

S-2445

Call those Reps  

eagle20
Link Posted: 3/25/2005 8:29:40 AM EDT
[#6]
What an A-Hole. I feel like sending him a letter just saying that also and to stand in front of my door and see what happens late at night in the dark
Link Posted: 4/1/2005 10:51:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Any updates?
Link Posted: 4/2/2005 5:19:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Just checked the assembly website and the bill is still on the calender for third reading and then to the floor for a vote (if I understand the process).  Now that the budget has been passed they should start moving on the other bills on the calender.    Time for emails and phone calls still or maybe even letters if you get them out Monday at the latest.  

Brett

Link Posted: 4/4/2005 12:32:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Just checked the assembly website and the bill is still on the calender for third reading and then to the floor for a vote (if I understand the process).  Now that the budget has been passed they should start moving on the other bills on the calender.    Time for emails and phone calls still or maybe even letters if you get them out Monday at the latest.  

Brett

Yes it is still on third reading.  If there is any "good news" to be had in this nonsensical bill, it appears that A.2466 repeals the current AW ban along with its class D violent felony charges, and replaces those charges with misdemeanor's though for a very wide range of firearms.  It still sucks BUT at least you are not facing a felony if you get tripped up on this c**p should it pass.
Link Posted: 4/5/2005 3:48:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Just received an e-mail from NYSRPA saying Eric Schneiderman's motion to discharge S-2445 FAILED!

Link Posted: 4/6/2005 9:14:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Just received an e-mail from NYSRPA saying Eric Schneiderman's motion to discharge S-2445 FAILED!

Does this mean that the new NY AWB is dead?
Link Posted: 4/6/2005 5:32:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does this mean that the new NY AWB is dead?

No.  It simply means that Senator Schneiderman's attempt to force the bill to the floor by bypassing the Codes Committee review of the bill failed.  It could still pass the Senate Codes Committee and make it to the floor though the fact that he was unable to get enough support on his petition could be a good sign on the level of support, or lack thereof, in the Senate.

Link Posted: 5/9/2005 10:51:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Any new news?
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 2:46:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 12:23:07 PM EDT
[#15]
If S-2466 passes, could we still buy lowers before the registration deadline? I picked up a pre-ban Olympic Arms lower a while back and would like to get another.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:09:07 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If S-2466 passes, could we still buy lowers before the registration deadline? I picked up a pre-ban Olympic Arms lower a while back and would like to get another.

I'd also like to know this. I read the act and did not see anything about Grandfathering in anything. Hopefully I just missed it.

Thanks,

Riese
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 7:06:17 AM EDT
[#17]
The expanded AWB has passed the Assembly.  Now is the time to contact Senator Bruno, Gov. Pataki and your State Senator.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=9&t=201697
Link Posted: 6/7/2005 10:21:59 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The expanded AWB has passed the Assembly.  Now is the time to contact Senator Bruno, Gov. Pataki and your State Senator.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=9&t=201697

Warming up the phone

The funny thing is when I wrote Gov. Pataki last year regarding the renewal of the AWB, he said, and I have it in writing, that if the Federal AWB expired, he'd entertein legilation to void the NYS AWB.  I guess they'll tell you anything for a vote
Link Posted: 6/8/2005 3:36:35 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I guess they'll tell you anything for a vote

Never doubted it for a second.  Had he really believed that, he would have made sure it truly mirrored the Federal law including the sunset clause.

Link Posted: 6/17/2005 9:06:27 AM EDT
[#20]
it appears that A.2466 repeals the current AW ban along with its class D violent felony charges, and replaces those charges with misdemeanor's though for a very wide range of firearms.

LEO's, remember, the ones who would turn in their "Assault Weapons" are NOT the ones you really need to worry about.
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 10:11:46 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
it appears that A.2466 repeals the current AW ban along with its class D violent felony charges, and replaces those charges with misdemeanor's though for a very wide range of firearms.

LEO's, remember, the ones who would turn in their "Assault Weapons" are NOT the ones you really need to worry about.

I could have misunderstood the law, but I don't think it repeals the class D felony for owning a post ban "evil" rifle unfortunately, I believe it adds a new misdemeanor charge for failing to register a pre-ban; although I would prefer it if you were right.
Link Posted: 6/18/2005 10:21:31 AM EDT
[#22]
lived in ny and suffered under the draconian gun laws.  moved to israel, and carry multiple arms.
NY gun total- 1
Israel gun total- alot.
Here I carry my m4 in the street even off duty, like every asault weapon owner in the country.  I bring my guns to movies, clubs, bars, even the strip club.  
I dread coming back to ny in september.
Link Posted: 6/25/2005 3:09:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Well it looks like we survived another year. The outlook down the road in a couple more years doesn't look too bright  for the gun owners of NY State. With Spitzer looking like the favorite to win the Governor's seat and the Republicans losing seats in the Senate to the democrats every year. It also doesn't  help that  NY State is attracting thousands more Democrat registered voters than Republican voters. If this picture doesn't serve as a wakeup call to join organizations like Scope, NYSRPA and others and to get out and VOTE  I don't know what will... but for this time to everyone that  kept those calls and letters going good job.
Link Posted: 6/26/2005 10:08:14 AM EDT
[#24]
I certainly expect these bills to be back in the new year in "B" versions; ie. A.673-B, A.2302-B, A.2345-B, A.2466-B, and A.4471-B.  This means the same nonsense that we just went through starts all over again.  Hopefully at the conclusion of the the 2006 session, these bills will "disappear".
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:01:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Ok being a relatively new NRA member, and relatively new to the whole AR15 community I was just wondering something.  I see that there is a lot here to prevent an expansion of the AWB in NY, but what about repealing the one in existence since the sunset of the federal ban?  Now I know i'm obviously not the first one to wonder this (start thinking of good sarcastic comments now please lol), but was basically wondering if there is any shot of it being overturned....I recall seeing one poster comment that Pataki had even stated in a letter that he would possibly repeal it should the federal ban were to expire.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 5:43:22 AM EDT
[#26]
The NYS Assembly is owned by NYC democrats that are vehemently anti-gun. It would take a legislative miracle to repeal the current AWB.  The fight over the numerous anti-gun bills will resume in Jan 06 so be prepared for it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 6:04:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Hmm that's what I figured...so more stupid questions, but I'm really not too familiar with this type stuff...but is there any legal way Pataki could repeal the law (not even saying he would, just curious if that type of executive power exists) or is there any way a lawsuit could knock it as unconstitutional (thats if there havent been any already)

thanks
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 7:12:00 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Hmm that's what I figured...so more stupid questions, but I'm really not too familiar with this type stuff...but is there any legal way Pataki could repeal the law (not even saying he would, just curious if that type of executive power exists) or is there any way a lawsuit could knock it as unconstitutional (thats if there havent been any already)

thanks

There are no stupid questions - only stupid answers.

Pataki could not repeal the AWB. He could issue a pardon after you were convicted though. A New York appeals court or SCOTUS could overturn the AWB based on constitutional grounds. Either one is not likely to happen.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:34:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Have no fear the NY Assembly critters will fire up their antigun legislation in Jan '06.  Now is the time to get your butts in gear for the Nov '06 elections.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top