Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2005 8:46:35 PM EDT
What are the legalities of building an ar pistol in NY.  Id imagine you need a CCW or is it illegal?  Anyone know?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:04:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Whatever the fed ban said is what goes in NYS. Can't have any foregrip or handhold and must be under 50 oz IIRC.

S.O.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:10:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Does that mean no handguard?  Do you need a CCW to posses it like all other handguns in NYS?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:44:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes you would have to register it on your NYS pistol permit.  You would have to ask your counties pistol permit licensing section what the registration procedure is and if they will even allow you to do it.  I believe it would also be subject to the COBIS (ballistic testing) requirements of the NYSP.

I suspect with all the hassles they would put you through it probably would not be worth the effort.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:47:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Whatever the fed ban said is what goes in NYS. Can't have any foregrip or handhold and must be under 50 oz IIRC.

S.O.

The  50 oz restriction is only for a pistol with a detachable magazine outside of the grip.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:28:35 AM EDT
[#5]
ok, that sucks.  Thanks for the info.  I read up on SBR's too and apparently there a nogo in NY as well.  My state sucks  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:02:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes  NY sucks.  The only thing approaching a legal "fun toy" in NY is a NFA AOW like a Serbu SUPER-SHORTY smoothbore pistol if you can get a CLEO signoff and get it registered on your pistol permit.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:29:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't have a CCW yet.  I have the paper work at home but have to pull some court records for a BS misdemeanor i got when i was in college.  Dealing with Dept of records sucks too!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:12:07 PM EDT
[#8]
New York State DOES NOT issues CCW permits

It is up to the person issueing  permits in your county .
they say if and when you can carry a concealed firearm.
From what I have heard most issueing agencies will give a restricted permit
to start out with and then after a year you can (MAYBE) upgrade to a NO Restrictions
permit.
When I got my permit in 2002 I was givin a Restricted permit and told If I wanted to have a permit with no rrestrictions I would have to come back in a year and put in for a amendment and interveiw with the judge AGAIN.
But there is a small loopoll in the law. if you are applying for a pistol permit in PA they will give you a no restrictions permit that is how I did it

as for the charges againist you I was arrested for one wha en I was about 19 years old
all I had to do was get a cerified disposstion from the court in which I was charged in.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:37:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yes  NY sucks.  The only thing approaching a legal "fun toy" in NY is a NFA AOW like a Serbu SUPER-SHORTY smoothbore pistol if you can get a CLEO signoff and get it registered on your pistol permit.

www.serbu.com/sus3s.jpg

Yes they are really cool, and have the price to match.
Any ideas into how to handle a new purchase of a frame/reciever  that hasn'tt been assembled into a working firearm?
TC Encore pistols, build it yourself 1911's, .....? Can't send into COBIS for testing, as it's not assembled, not supposed to deliver a new handgun without a ballistic sample.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:43:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
But there is a small loopoll in the law. if you are applying for a pistol permit in PA they will give you a no restrictions permit that is how I did it

I don't understand that.  You can get a non-resident shall issue carry permit in PA, CT, FL and several other states but that do not allow you to carry or even possess a handgun in NY.  

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:00:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Any ideas into how to handle a new purchase of a frame/reciever  that hasn'tt been assembled into a working firearm?
TC Encore pistols, build it yourself 1911's, .....? Can't send into COBIS for testing, as it's not assembled, not supposed to deliver a new handgun without a ballistic sample.

It's not clear to me how they would handle the COBIS testing since you're not "manufacturing" a firearm but "making" one for personal use.   You could talk to someone at a COBIS testing center and they might have an answer for you.  I tend to doubt it though.

As far as building a firearm in NY I think it may be possible but I don't know anyone who has actually done it. The problem is it would have to registered prior to building it and if it's not a firearm yet I don't know how you could do that.  I think you would have to work with your PP investigator to see if they have a way for you to do it.  I've never bothered to find out because it's not worth the hassle for me.  I'll wait until I escape  from from this hell hole and then I'd like to build a 1911.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:11:56 PM EDT
[#12]
PA will only issue you a permit if as a non resident if you have a permit
in your home state with no restriction on it.
If when you apply for a permiit in NY you put down your reasonas follows.

to obtain a pistol permit in the state of PA they will most likely give you
a permit with no restriction on it from the start
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:04:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
PA will only issue you a permit if as a non resident if you have a permit
in your home state with no restriction on it.
If when you apply for a permiit in NY you put down your reasonas follows.

to obtain a pistol permit in the state of PA they will most likely give you
a permit with no restriction on it from the start

Not Quite..

( for residents )

NO PERMIT is required in PA to purchase or possess a Handgun.
PA issues a permit for CONCEALED CARRY
There are no "restrictions" on the permit such as in NY.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:19:12 PM EDT
[#14]

Not Quite..

( for residents )

If you live in NY and want to get a permit in PA you must first have a permit in NY with no restrictions.
I went thourght this last year and finially got my PA permit after getting my restrictions taken off of my NY permit

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:48:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Well this thread is getting intersting!  Let me clarify what i was saying about a CCW.  In my county (suffolk) the only way to legally own a pistol is to apply for a pistol permit.  Now when i said a CCW i meant the only thing i really know of a CCW which is a restricted CCW.  This means i HAVE to Carry Concealed when on the way to range, shooting (that's the only time one can carry concealed).  It is true that there is no real carry concealed in NY or at least in suffolk, nassau, westchester **Unless your a celebrity or have a damn good reason (not gonna happen).  With that being said I have to get my disposition from the county clerk where my arrest took place so i can complete the app and wait the apparent 6 months.  I'll prob pick up either a XD or 1911 if/when i get the permit.        

P.S. That super shorty is awesome!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 11:27:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Things vary so wildly in NY state that it's almost funny. I live in Ulster county and had no trouble getting an unrestricted permit. There was a lot of paperwork to get together, and it took a bit over 3 months, but my county is basically a "shall-issue" county. As long as there's no reason not to give you an unrestricted permit, you get one. There are many counties like that in the upper parts of the state. Of course, a lot of this is just dependent on the particular judge that 's currently sitting, so it could all change pretty easily.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:27:20 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Not Quite..

( for residents )

If you live in NY and want to get a permit in PA you must first have a permit in NY with no restrictions.
I went thourght this last year and finially got my PA permit after getting my restrictions taken off of my NY permit

Where was your permit issued in PA?  I've never heard of that requirement.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:38:22 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Well this thread is getting intersting!  Let me clarify what i was saying about a CCW.  In my county (suffolk) the only way to legally own a pistol is to apply for a pistol permit.  Now when i said a CCW i meant the only thing i really know of a CCW which is a restricted CCW.  This means i HAVE to Carry Concealed when on the way to range, shooting (that's the only time one can carry concealed).  It is true that there is no real carry concealed in NY or at least in suffolk, nassau, westchester **Unless your a celebrity or have a damn good reason (not gonna happen).  With that being said I have to get my disposition from the county clerk where my arrest took place so i can complete the app and wait the apparent 6 months.  I'll prob pick up either a XD or 1911 if/when i get the permit.        

P.S. That super shorty is awesome!

Westchester used to routinely issue unrestricted permits and they will still issue them with cause.  Their target/hunting permits are not stamped to "to and from range only."  In any case these restrictions are administrative  in nature and you cannot be arrested for violating a restriction.  Your your license could be revoked in an administrative hearing though.

There are still quite a few counties in NY that routinely issue unrestricted permits.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:50:30 AM EDT
[#19]
In New York state, it is up to the county Judge to decide to issue a permit and if the permit is restricted or not.  Every county is completely different.  Some require pistol safety classes, some do not.  Some issue unrestricted and others (Saratoga county) only issue restricted (target, hunting).  I got my permit in St. Lawrence county, unrestricted, at the age of 17.  Not likely to happen in anyother county!  I had to interview with the Judge.

John
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:13:01 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
In New York state, it is up to the county Judge to decide to issue a permit and if the permit is restricted or not.  Every county is completely different.  Some require pistol safety classes, some do not.  Some issue unrestricted and others (Saratoga county) only issue restricted (target, hunting).  I got my permit in St. Lawrence county, unrestricted, at the age of 17.  Not likely to happen in anyother county!  I had to interview with the Judge.

John

That used to be true but not anymore.  Pistol permits are now issued in Nassau and Suffolk counties by the police department.  They also make up their own special regulations.  Outside of NYC, NC and SC a Judge is your licensing officer and the courts have upheld administrative permit restrictions.  There are no such restrictions authorized in the NYS Penal Law.

Until the legislature raised the minimum age to 21 there were some counties that were issuing unrestricted permits to 16 year olds.   My friend was issued an unrestricted permit in WC years ago at 18.

Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:46:53 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
There are still quite a few counties in NY that routinely issue unrestricted permits.

Chautauqua was as of 4 or 5 years ago when I got mine

also when I got mine it said that an 18 year old could apply with a letter from their parents
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 9:39:08 AM EDT
[#22]

Where was your permit issued in PA? I've never heard of that requirement.

It was issued in Pike Co.
I live in sullivan Co.
I was told by the clerk that my NY permit had to be Unrestricted
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top