Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2004 2:17:05 PM EDT
WTF?

I tuned into 92.7 for some alternative music and God only knows what started spewing out of my stereo.  WTF happened? Did they go under? Any L.I. 'ers have any idea what happened. better yet, are there any alternative stations to listen to? XM here I come!!
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:24:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Same reaction here.

Apparenty the Spanish station offered mucho dinero for the license and WLIR sold out.

Which is funny, because WLIR was actually WDRE which replaced the original WLIR in 1988.  I wore black for a week to mourn at the time.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:25:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 2:46:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Which is funny, because WLIR was actually WDRE which replaced the original WLIR in 1988.  I wore black for a week to mourn at the time.

I remember DRE. It rocked! I'm really pissed off over this. Oh well, the vette goes in for a custom stereo (with XM) next week. It can't come soon enough.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:42:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
WTF?

I tuned into 92.7 for some alternative music and God only knows what started spewing out of my stereo.  WTF happened? Did they go under? Any L.I. 'ers have any idea what happened. better yet, are there any alternative stations to listen to? XM here I come!!

Yeah, Jarad broadcasting sold 92.7 to some massive Spanish owned broadcast group for 60 million in October of last year.

Sux ass

The new one is 94.3 which you probably don't get.

It's weak and out of Smithtown.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:44:37 PM EDT
[#5]
The DRE call letter are still alive on the easy end of LI as 107.1.

Jarad broadcasting holds the following...

94,3 "The Island"

98.5 "The Bone" Hair metal and other shit.

107.1 "The Box" truest to the old 92.7 format.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:48:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's the skinny on the source of your pain....

October 1, 2003
Univision Radio to acquire N.Y. station for $60M

Univision Radio, the Dallas-based radio subsidiary of Univision Communications Inc., has agreed to buy New York station WLIR-FM from Jarad Broadcasting Co. Inc. and the Morey Organization Inc. for about $60 million in cash.

The transaction, which is subject to regulatory approval and other closing conditions, is expected to close in the first quarter of 2004. Los Angeles-based Univision Communications said it would finance the purchase using its credit facility.

WLIR-FM currently operates a modern rock format in Long Island, New York City and southeastern Connecticut.

As part of the agreement, Jarad Broadcasting said it would move WLIR to a new dial position.

The Morey Organization owns three other FM radio stations in the market as well as a weekly newspaper, The Long Island Press.

Univision Radio was formed last month after the Federal Communications Commission approved Univision Communications' $3.4 billion purchase of Dallas-based Hispanic Broadcasting Corp. Hispanic Broadcasting became the radio division of Univision and was renamed Univision Radio.

Univision Communications (NYSE: UVN) is the largest Spanish-language media company in the United States. In addition to Univision Radio, its holdings include Univision Television Group; Galavision, a Spanish-language cable network; Univision Music Group; and Univision Online.

Company Web site: www.univision.com

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:09:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The DRE call letter are still alive on the easy end of LI as 107.1.

Jarad broadcasting holds the following...

94,3 "The Island"

98.5 "The Bone" Hair metal and other shit.

107.1 "The Box" truest to the old 92.7 format.

NUTS!!! They're too far east for me...Thanks for the info...
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 4:48:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I bought SIRIUS sattelite radio back in December of 2003, haven't been back to FM since.

Which "systems" did you buy? I'm looking into them now.  TIA
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:30:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:54:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:58:28 AM EDT
[#11]
long gone, when they switched to la ku ka racha, I stopped listening to fm adio.  hannity on AM and CD's only.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:12:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Edited to add: ChrisLe: treat yourself to an Alpine head unit with an XM tuner....you can mix and rip mp3s and get your choice of nationwide radio that reminds you how suckified FM has become....

Already in the works, brother. Here's the skinny on the system:

Alpine CDA-9831 HU w/ Ipod controller and XM Radio
Boston Acoustics 6.5 3 Way Speakers (Front Stage)
Boston Acoustics Z5 Speakers (Rear fill)
JL Audio 10" Subs in custom enclosure
JL Audio 300/2 Amplifiers
JL Audio 500/1 Amplifier

Should sound sweet!!
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:13:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
long gone, when they switched to la ku ka racha, I stopped listening to fm adio.  hannity on AM and CD's only.

Don't forget that I've been "out of town" for over a year and a half. It came as a surprise to me....
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:29:25 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't forget that I've been "out of town" for over a year and a half. It came as a surprise to me....

I was upest when 104.3 swithched to the classic rock format from hard alternative. I remember turning on the radio after work and hearing some beat to death song and coulldn't believe my ears. At the time there were three or four classic rock stations in the NY area.

For having the largest population in such dense area, the radio dial sucks ass in NY.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:37:19 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

For having the largest population in such dense area, the radio dial sucks ass in NY.

Agreed. San Diego, on the other hand, had some outstanding radio stations. I almost didn't leave Pendleton....
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:20:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chapperjoe,  nevermind.

Chris: That is right! I forgot to tell you, in the last year, We are taking over...  
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 9:03:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chapperjoe,  nevermind.

Chris: That is right! I forgot to tell you, in the last year, We are taking over...  

+1
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 10:15:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 11:49:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 12:41:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Slowly but surely, the infiltration has begun!!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 2:07:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 5:17:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who is this "we" of which you speak?

Come on, hombre, you know who WE are.

We have every body checking J Lo's ass, dancing Salsa and Merengues and dreaming of Latin Hotties.  We are red hot, with money, looks and guns.

Only in America.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top