Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2004 4:32:08 PM EDT
NOTE: I Don't mean state parks, I know better than that!

However I am wondering what state forests or Wildlife Management Areas are semi-near Rochester (most of DEC's region 8 is fine) that have legal open carry and shooting of long rifles for just plinking purposes. In reading as much as I can on the NY DEC's website, it's seemed like most "Wildlife Management Areas" and State Forests allow target shooting unless posted otherwise, (sadly the closest one to me apparently doesn't allow firearms, so I'm goign to have to head to Livingston county area probably?).

I am mainly looking for a place to go out shooting that isn't the same as the rifle range at the club, but I don't want to get arrested either for having the firearms (a single AR15) at all or for not having hunting permits. Again as I've read the rules, target shooting is cool in state lands like that as long as you're nowhere near any buildings, not shooting at animals or trees, so.... am I interpreting things correctly?

Thanks if anyone has any insight.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 9:51:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I just saw your post  and have to check with my buddy who has 37 aches. We live in wayne county and have set up a shooting range just for us. He has a .308 and I have a SKS and my AR15. But as far as I know there really isnt much as state parks for just plinking mostly hunting. If you want get ahold of me either on yahoo - firemen737 or aol - mforo40
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 7:36:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow, that'd be really sweet. I'd love to see other guns at work, too, I haven't seen anything other than hunting rifles or ARs at any ranges I've been to. I'll give you a message later perhaps, my aol is IanCaw2  (I suppose anyone else messaging me on AR15 topics is no problem,b ut it'll be odd, but hey)

Even if it doesn't work out, thanks for the offer :D
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:46:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry to bump this for everyone else, but are long rifles acceptable to use in NATIONAL forests? I've heard many accounts of national forests out in the west (specifically, Roosevelt National Forest in Colorado, where my parents live) being very target/firearm friendly.  The relatively close proximity of Finger Lakes National Forest to here makes me wonder if I'd run into any problems having a camping and shooting weekend with a friend or two..

I can't imagine I would even see anyone else while hiking through there, although with my luck I'd run into some sort of DEC-equivalent forest ranger.

If anyone knows for sure, I'd appreciate hearing it.

Thanks again for everyone's prior input.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:24:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Sorry to bump this for everyone else, but are long rifles acceptable to use in NATIONAL forests? I've heard many accounts of national forests out in the west (specifically, Roosevelt National Forest in Colorado, where my parents live) being very target/firearm friendly.  The relatively close proximity of Finger Lakes National Forest to here makes me wonder if I'd run into any problems having a camping and shooting weekend with a friend or two..

See if you can find the website for the Finger Lakes National Forest.

I found some good info online for the Allegheny Nat'l Forest in PA including a map of the Forest, individual trail maps, campground info and so on.  For the Allegheny Nat'l Foest the only rules they list on firearms are "No shooting guns in recreation areas."

The recreation areas are clearly marked on the map and easy to avoid.  I'm not sure if that's the rule for other National Foests though.

If you find a web page for the Fingerlakes NF, post it here.  Thanks.

Edit: Try Looking Here
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:36:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey there, orginally from Livingston County... only place we could shoot without someone kicking us out or calling police - Sportsman's clubs.    Around hunting season there is a gravel pit in Leicester that seems to be the hot spot for getting your shotguns ready.  Thats all I have sorry not very gun friendly up there... move to Virginia!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:45:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Hay Guys I did some searching and checking around and came across this site didnt know if anyone else has seen it.

Finger Lakes National Forest in Hector NY
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top