Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/6/2003 3:19:09 PM EDT
Hey guys, my sister-in law is moving to upsate NY, rockland county, new city. how difficult will it be for her to purchase a handgun and a shotgun for home defense. She has a new baby and she no longer feels comfortable unarmed around the house, or when going shopping.
My brother in-law is a great guy but he is such a pussy when it comes to guns, she is doing this on her own and asked me for help.

Also where can we go to purchase them?
If I decide to get them for her here in VA, is there anyone nearby her that will do a transfer??
Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 3:43:14 PM EDT
[#1]
No problem ( as in no licensing requirement)  with long guns outside of NYC.

Pistols require a permit to possess

www.rocklandcountyclerk.com/pistol_license.html
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 3:54:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Rockland County isn't "upstate" NY.  It's only an hour (or less) drive from NYC. The shotgun is no problem but she needs to get a pistol license to posess any handgun in NY.

See the Rockland County PP FAQ:

www.rocklandcountyclerk.com/pistol_license.html

It appears GunnyG beat me to it,  Man he's quick!

Link Posted: 11/6/2003 4:32:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Sheet, anything past the bronx is Canada as far as I'm concerned, but then again I never left the five boroughs.

Thank you guy's very much for the info.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 5:30:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Yea, Rockland County is the pits when it comes to our toys.  Long arms, goto Walmart in Suffern, good prices and they will order anything for you.

Pistol, well, tell you a funny story.  Two years ago, the local @sshole judge refused to sign anymore licenses because he got into a pissing contest with the CLEO.  CLEO was pro-gun and was almost signing off on them like it shall issue for people.  But the judge didn't like it when he found out that the CLEO was just rubbering stamping if you didn't have a record, as it should be.

It's a strange place.

If you have any questions, drop me an IM.  I got my license two years ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top