Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2003 12:44:45 PM EDT
When did this start?
I went to pick up my EMF revolver today but couldn't because there wasn't a spent casing with it from the factory. Now I have to wait either for it to be overnighted back to CA, have them fire it and overnight it back to the FFL, or the FFL is going to have to call the state police in Brockport (or was it Batavia, can't remember), drive the 2 hours there, and have them fire it.
It's bad enough the gun has to be registered per NY's pistol permit law. Besides, wouldn't the fired bullet be more valuable as it would have the rifling on it for ballistics. It's a single action revolver, the casing aren't going to be left behind if it's ever used in a crime, which it will NOT be as long as I own it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 1:04:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep, the ballistics fingerprinting law is another Elmer Pataki gem. Been in effect for well over a year, more like 2+. The spent casing is required with new pistols only. What a total waste of time, money, and manpower.

Link Posted: 8/6/2003 1:06:01 PM EDT
[#2]
was this a new or used gun?
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 1:09:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 1:18:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, the law was effective for new firearms transferred after March 1 2001. To show you how stupid they were when they passed the legislation they failed to realize that a NYS dealer in firearms was prohibited from transporting handguns to the COBIS center!  OOPS.

AFAIK you'll be happy to know that after two years the system has not resulted in solving one firearms crime.  

www.troopers.state.ny.us/Firearms/Cobis/Cobisindex.html
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 2:35:41 PM EDT
[#5]
New, straight from www.emf-company.com, which I think is just the importer, gun said made in Italy. It's a reproduction 1875 Remington.
I hope to hell once they get the .45lc casing they don't later realize that they also need a .45acp casing since I got both cylinders.
Looks like I just found another flaw in the law, interchangable cylinders.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#6]
The rumor I hear from people fairly well informed is that there are rooms full of collected evelopes containing shell casings that have never been entered into the system.  What good could this be?  

Many revolvers shoot multiple calibers, but the law only requires a casing from the firearm's primary listed caliber.  In addition even autos sold from the manufacturer with multiple barrels in different calibers require only one casing.

Not to mention how easy is it to swap firing pins, or extractors?  Then what?  Also the signature of these parts changes with use.

Finally, just a hypothetical situation, but lets say there ever was a trial where this system was actually a tool used for prosecution.  Someones life depends on the validity of the data.  Any expert could easilly point out the flaws.  And worse, just what if a manufacturer testified that with all the guns we test fire every day and all the spent casings we handle, we could never be 100% sure that the right case ended up with the right gun.  Feel confident convicting with that?

Really just a feel good law that is useless.  All it does is make the dealers in NY drive around to get guns fired when the casing isn't provided.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 4:45:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's what approx $8,000,000 buys you.

Total guns registered in NY as of 6/1/03 = 43,820
Number of guns linked to a crime = 0

www.ocshooters.com/Reports/cobis/cobis.htm
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 3:01:46 AM EDT
[#8]
NY State tax dollars hard at work. And we have all this extra cash from where?
Oh yes,
raise the sales tax,
raise the income tax,
raise your property tax,

We need to get the hogs from the feeding trough!

Link Posted: 8/7/2003 8:45:36 AM EDT
[#9]
....Buffalo pd has been credited with removing 800 guns from the streets in the past year....however, deaths by shooting is higher now than in the same period of the last few years........(all in the same sentence)...........am I confused?..
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 1:46:39 PM EDT
[#10]
YEp, NY requires a casing. All the SP's in the area know it's a load of shit, but it's SOP now, so they gotta do it.

You also have to "register" any new barrels. I.e. if you buy a spare barrel for your <insert handgun here>, you technically need to tell the SP, and they'll take another casing for no reason at all except to prove that they're great at wasting time and money for no purpose. Not the SP, but our legislature, that is.

I don't know if it's for same-caliber barrels or for new caliber barrels (i.e. .400 cor-bon through a 1911)...I'm sure some legal eagle can point it out.

This was something I heard and read about a while ago. Due to vast quantities of beer consumed between then and now, I might have gotten the facts wrong, so don't maim me if I'm completly wrong

Link Posted: 8/7/2003 3:44:28 PM EDT
[#11]
my FFl went down to albany to get a pistol shot for a case .. he said the lady took the case .. put it in an envelope .. and threw it in a big box that was full of other envelopes of cases .. then she took the box and put it along side many many more boxes just like it .. hardly any cases are entered in the system .. its all bullshit .. the lady who does my ffls pistols even says it .. total waste of time ..
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 3:58:36 PM EDT
[#12]
what they are supposed to be doing is storing a picture of the head of the case. You can change cylinders it will not change the markings on the head. Assuming you don't do something to change that.
Typical govt work they don't have the resources to get a picture of the head. A local store owner was supposed to have said to a customer, "I don't know why I'm saving these I've got a box filled with them and nobody has been in to pick them up".
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 4:53:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
A local store owner was supposed to have said to a customer, "I don't know why I'm saving these I've got a box filled with them and nobody has been in to pick them up".

Q - When does a licensed dealer in firearms have to submit a cartridge supplied by a manufacturer, and to whom must it be sent?

Within 10 days after retail sale and delivery of the pistol or revolver, the licensed firearms dealer must send the cartridge casing along with the usual P-12 form to:

New York State Police CoBIS Center
Building 30, 1220 Washington Avenue
Albany, NY 12226-3000

Link Posted: 8/9/2003 2:42:11 PM EDT
[#14]
This law was not meant to make sense.  It was obviously meant to harras gun manufacturers, gun owners and FFL's.  I had no doubt that the fired casings would ever be used for anything other than filling empty stoage rooms in some state office building somewhere.  I'll bet the storage room is not even "secure" which would be a chain of evidence/custody nightmare.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 3:34:39 PM EDT
[#15]
If you do go "and shoot up the town" bring along a bucket full of range pick-ups, and spread 'em like grass seed. An overloaded, useless Govt. system WILL crash. Of course they'll ask for more money in the budget to try and patch the system up.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 7:34:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 7:45:00 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They (the evil scumsuckers in Albany)

Sir,I would appreciate your not referring to my friend Hiram Ranger with those names!

...YEAH....if you`re going to call names......don`t be so "nice".....
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 8:16:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top