Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2003 12:36:57 PM EDT
Is it true.  Is NJ as unfriendly to gun owners as I have heard?  I currently own a PreBan AR-15, PreBan AK-47, PreBan Intertec Tec9 and soon Walther P22 with silencer.  Is there ANYWAY to transfer these guns legally into the state.  I am open to any suggestion.  Would I need to get my Class III? FFL?  What would it take for me to keep these guns and move into the armpit of America?  BTW I would be moving into southern NJ around Cherry Hill.  I wonder if the wife unit would think it crazy to keep the house in AZ and purchase a second one in NJ.  Like I said I am OPEN to ALL ideas.
Link Posted: 3/28/2003 1:02:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Move to the other side of the river in PA and you will be able to keep all your toys.
Link Posted: 3/28/2003 1:22:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Eagle,

Sorry to say your toys cannot come into NJ. The only exception for a preban AR is if you shoot in Hi-Power rifle matches. The application process is not easy.

The suggestion to move to PA is a good one.

Good luck,

Mike
Link Posted: 3/28/2003 3:21:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Is it true.  Is NJ as unfriendly to gun owners as I have heard?  I currently own a PreBan AR-15, PreBan AK-47, PreBan Intertec Tec9 and soon Walther P22 with silencer.  Is there ANYWAY to transfer these guns legally into the state.  I am open to any suggestion.  Would I need to get my Class III? FFL?  What would it take for me to keep these guns and move into the armpit of America?  BTW I would be moving into southern NJ around Cherry Hill.  I wonder if the wife unit would think it crazy to keep the house in AZ and purchase a second one in NJ.  Like I said I am OPEN to ALL ideas.

OK, sorry, I'm better now...

Seriously, and I mean SERIOUSLY, move to Pennsylvania.  Everything you have except the Walther (without the can) may not come here. (let's not even open the magazine discussion) You have the choice now, before you move and get 'settled'.  Investigate moving to SE PA, it is an easy commute over the river into southern Jersey for work.

If, however, you simply must come into NJ and you can get over the loss of your collection, you'll find that its annoying but not terribly difficult being a NJ gun owner.  It is a post-ban world here.  That's point of acceptance #1.  We have a firearms ID card program, that's acceptance point #2.  Pistols are registered and each require their own purchase permit, that's acceptance point #3.

All that said, you will find that *most* weapons are legal and available here.  There is also a huge hunter community and very large 'military history' crowd.  (Garands, 1903, basically the CMP crowd)  Its also a state that has a lot to offer as far as quality of life/availability of services.  (you will want for nothing except lower taxes, less traffic and some peace and quiet)

Hope you found all this rambling helpful...
Link Posted: 3/28/2003 3:27:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I second what MAP said. Do not move to NJ as your toys will be illegal. You have to leave them behind or surrender them up to the State or local police for safe keeping and never be able to shoot or even touch them while in NJ all with no compensation of any type.
Consider moving to PA, very gun friendly.

Sorry, but that it my best and honest advise

Black Rifle
Link Posted: 3/30/2003 6:42:04 PM EDT
[#5]
You are obviously a very dangerous individual who, once you get to NJ, will go on numerous killing sprees with your assault weapons with their death-maximizing options and parts.  Like the others said, move to Pennsylvania where they don't pass laws against bloodthirsy psychopaths such as yourself.

-Nick Viejo.

(obviously tounge-in-cheek)
Link Posted: 3/31/2003 5:56:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok ok ok ok ok

You dumb crackers just don't get it do you? (J/K Don't Hate Now!)

Despite the fact that NJ laws suck big time, there is a WORLD of diff. between PA and NJ if you have to work in say NYC or even NJ. Communting is NOT fun and should be as short as possible.

The job comes first, then the guns, since the job pays for the guns...

Come to NJ, just choose a nice town with low property taxes, cause those can really SUCK! (Damn it! $13,000 a year in my 'hood? ROBBERY! And they still sell crack around the corner!)

Doggonit

P.S.: I have yet to settle my little tiff with the state of NJ about my Handgun Purchase Permit.

Damn thing takes forever...

Link Posted: 4/7/2003 12:11:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Dont move here!!!
Its that bad
you cant have fun
cant own toys
cant deal with the cost of living( near the beach)
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 3:35:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Why in hell would you move to N.J. Its like being in HELL 24 hours a day. Dont do it man!!! You will curse the day you arrived.
Link Posted: 4/19/2003 4:34:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Awwwwwww.....

You know you like NJ.....

It's NJ, man!!! What's not to hat... I mean like? I swear there are only little old ladies here who only drive on saturdays in this state. It's all good, despite the crack deal.... whoops.... I mean despite the occasional hurricane.... Just lock your doors and set up the clay.... set up the milk for Santa Claus.

It's Mr. Roger's 'Hood here.... all are welcome... bring your own ten gauge....

Doggonit
Link Posted: 4/21/2003 6:53:22 AM EDT
[#10]
No amount of money could drag me to NJ or NYC if I actually had to live there. No job is worth that to me. A good friend of mine just resigned from a highpaying mucky muck position PRECISELY because they wanted to promote and move him to NYC. Thanks, but no thanks!

Eagle, I suspect many free-thinking subjects of NJ would rather be in AZ!

Good luck, you'll need it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2003 1:13:34 PM EDT
[#11]
cough.... upstate sucks... cough......

I have no words to save thee
Link Posted: 4/21/2003 1:27:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Simple solution, just send all of your toys to me for safe keeping!
Link Posted: 4/21/2003 5:08:25 PM EDT
[#13]
When you move to NJ, release the hate and your transformation to the darkside will be comeplete.

I escaped in 1990 while noone was looking and you couldn't pay me enough to move back there.  Trust me, I got offered 2.5x what I am making now to move back.  No way in h.e. double hockey sticks.

On the bright side.  NJ is a bueatiful state.  I do miss some things.  Good pizza, sub sandwiches, awesome corn.  Sheesh, eveything I miss is food related.  Ohh, the shore is funny as hell.  I definately miss having Devils season tickets.  :(  
Link Posted: 4/24/2003 9:09:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Eagle,
If you can get an FFL, which is hard in NJ, you can keeep the assault weapons.  The tincan is a nono. no if ands or buts.  Look to moving into PA.  If you are going to work near the PA border, then that is great.  Hell, I work with guy/gals that live in PA, and work in Newark NJ(Check the map).  If you are a federal Agent or military, then you need pernission from your supervisor to keep the weapons.  I would definetly do the Pennsylvannia thing, plus you get much more for you $$$ on property.
Link Posted: 4/24/2003 9:18:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Dude... I lived in the Cherry Hill/Mount Laurel area for 2 months.  That is exactly how long it took me to figure out that the place is a cesspool and that I had to get away.  Don't do it; no job, woman, bonus, scholarship or anything else is worth it.  I am not kidding.
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 6:22:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Ummm I don't know about you, I guess you are skilled tradesmen or something, maybe insurance salesmen or stock brokers, but if one has a job that pays six figs where the first number is a two then, yeah, you want the job a LOT more than the damn guns. Come on.... postban isn't all that bad. Also: silencers? who cares? they are dirty and need cleaning!

For me the most important thing is not the rifles (NJ sucks for rifles) or the shotguns (kinda bad for those too) but the handguns (pistol ranges? no problemo!). I can fire a Sig all day, but firing a 12 gauge even with reduced recoil loads is going to dislocate my shoulder and destroy my hearing. Even shooting .223 gets kinda bad after a few hundred rounds. That never happens with pistols, I bet (I never did, but....) I could fire 2000 rounds of 9mm with little effect expect maybe some fatigue from string at the damn targets for a few hours but firing 200 rounds of .223 would have me so exhausted that I wouldn't even want to clean the rifle.

So, as long as NJ allows pistols, I'm in......

Doggonit
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 7:11:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for all the great reply’s.  It sounds like NJ is as bad as I hear.  Well at least it is close to the shore.  It will be weird living that close to the ocean.  Living in AZ my entire life I can count on one hand how many time I have ever been in a boat.  I guess that will change.  Real seafood. WOW!!!  What’s that like?
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 10:41:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 11:17:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Come on RBAD, you know you love SOME things about NJ. Like the great police force, the low taxes, the friendly people, our conservative governor.... NOT!!!

Anyway, the 2004 Assault Weapons Ban expiration won't mean much, right? Because state rules still apply, right? Lets bet that all rifles and shotguns with more than 5 round magazines will be outlawed, all pistols will be reduced to 10 in every state, silencers completely banned, barrels less than 4" long will not be permitted, all Class 3 not owned by police will be confiscated, all silencers and newly outlawed firearms will also be confiscated (meaning all "postbans" from now will be taken away unless you hand in all of you 10 round mags and get 5'ers. I can just see it happening.

Some people think that Congress will be too busy with other stuff (like elections) to bother about a new Assault Weapons bill but I think Dubya will offer to do all of the above to get some more center people, independents, and maybe even some Dem's on his side.

And no, the S will not hit the fan when all that will be done. Some of you with preban and Class 3 stuff will be angry and will want to revolt, but only a few ill do so, and that is what the police is for, namely to arrest those who break the law.

So sadly enough, Canada will be better off in some ways than we will be. Hey, they have a SIG PE90 and 50 round .22 mags! And short barrels and collapsible stocks!

Imagine if all AR15's would be required to have 14" stocks! I can see most people not being able to shoot well that way, incl. me.

Or if all shotguns would be required to have 30" barrels! Nice!

Or if all pistols would have to be fully automatic and have no less than 20 round magazines, forward grips mandatory.... ooops... that last one was a day dream.... never mind me...

Doggonit
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 4:18:41 PM EDT
[#20]
If you have to do it then do it. I am looking to get out of NY/NJ area real fast. Funny I am thinking Texas or AZ.
For me it has more to do with weather, but the guns play a very very close first also. Maybe we could just trade places. I live on Long Island and have a $2,000 nut to pay on my house.

If you want it I will trade where you live along with your guns. You can have my House and payments along with my wife and kids. I will also throw in some of my AR's. Except the Bewoulf, AR10 from the BRC (Will Never give that up) and the 25th Bushmaster.
IM me or E-Mail if you want to make a trade. I am sure this doesn't have to go into the EE forum.....
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 9:09:00 PM EDT
[#21]

cough.... upstate sucks... cough......

I have no words to save thee

It does? Im surprised no one has flamed you yet.

The only bad thing about upstate is all the woodchucks (rednecks for those not from here). At least we have some rights here sometimes I almost feel sorry for the NYC people... But then I remember who gives you electricity, tax money etc. I live upstate as you might be able to tell and although its not as good as Wisconsin its OK. Not great though...
Link Posted: 4/27/2003 10:00:14 AM EDT
[#22]
More bears than you can shake a road-kill scraping spatula at. Woodchucks ain't bad compared to truckers (Hell-spawn variety of course) found in upstate. Also: snow kinds gets on your nerves when it is deeper than 3 feet (which does happen, depending where you live upstate).

The worst thing however, (if you are in Westchester) is having to fend off attacks by rabid household pets and children with chainsaws and homemade explosives. It is always triple-ought time out there. Anyone have a 4 or 6 gauge they could lend me? Flechete rounds for a 40mm launcher, anyone? Will trade for man-traps, only slightly used....
Link Posted: 4/27/2003 9:42:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Heheheheh... You should go to Syracuse...
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 3:14:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Why?
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:35:15 PM EDT
[#25]
I used to live on Long Island.  hacko.gif
Now I live in South Central PA.  There is NO WAY ON EARTH I can bring, at last count, my NFA Goodies (Mac, M16, and two suppressors) or the magazines I have with my pistols, Back to New York.  have
I strongly suggest you try Philly.  While the city is somewhat crazily anti, the surrounding area is pretty Progun.

Please remember that Joisey passed a “Smart Gun” bill recently.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:06:53 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Thanks for all the great reply’s.  It sounds like NJ is as bad as I hear.  Well at least it is close to the shore.  It will be weird living that close to the ocean.  Living in AZ my entire life I can count on one hand how many time I have ever been in a boat.  I guess that will change.  Real seafood. WOW!!!  What’s that like?

You've got to take one of those deep sea fishing trips.. Strap ya into a chair and letcha fight a 200lb tuna for a few hours.  Incidentally, one of the oddities of NJ life is that one does under no circumstances go "to the ocean".  One goes "to (or down) the shore".  If you start talking about oceans and beaches, you will immediately be spotted as a foreigner and subjected to "the initiation" which I'm forbidden to go into detail on, but is said to involve a six foot sub sandwich and a paddle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top