Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2021 10:37:13 PM EDT
Well money changes hands next week on 20 acres I signed on in burnet county.

Things I have found out about the land so far.
Twenty acres is bigger than I thought.

Judging by the tracks I have a hog problem. Good thing I found the 2k rounds of 5.56 I forgot I had.

Judging by the tracks, I found where the deer have been hiding during deer season. Our old family ranch was 3 miles east of this property. I already found a feeder and stand on my new place.

I walked the land with my site guy to figure out where to place the house and garage.

Looks like I will need a fence guy or remember how to do it myself. Been a while.

Now does anyone know how long PEC is taking to run electricity to new builds?
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 3:31:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats.

Now does anyone know how long PEC is taking to run electricity to new builds?
View Quote

That probably depends on what's involved in your particular new build.

How far away are the nearest power lines?
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 3:10:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Congrats.

That probably depends on what's involved in your particular new build.

How far away are the nearest power lines?
View Quote

Looks to be about 400 yards to get it where it needs to be.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 10:05:19 PM EDT
[#3]
We met with the PEC Distribution Designer / Engineer in early June. He works out of the Bertram Office.  We needed two poles to reach our building site.  Total distance is probably 200-250 yards. Plus we needed to clear a 20 foot wide easement so the crews could set the poles and run the line.  

Based on our conversation with the PEC guy we should hear about the cost and timeline any day now.  

We will need to sign an utility easement and have it filed with the county.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 1:49:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Welcome to the area. What part of town are you located at?
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 10:50:01 AM EDT
[#5]
UPDATE on PEC.  We got the quote to build our electric service, total is $5,375.00.  We signed the easement paperwork and paid the fee.  The work order went to the construction crews.  Their lead time is about 10 weeks.  So hopefully late September or early October.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 10:55:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not sure if you are talking to the OP or me.  The OP has another thread that puts him west of town.  We are north of town, about halfway between Burnet and Lampasas.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 11:12:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Congrats on the purchase, 20acres is sweet!
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 4:55:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Burnet is nice. Enjoy!
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 10:01:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Spicewood, Marble Falls or Burnet area of Burnet County?  It’s nice out here, welcome.
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 10:20:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I shoot pigs out that direction some times.  Nice area.  Congrats.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 7:12:44 AM EDT
[#11]
OP,,,Here's a suggestion. Go to the nearest cattle auction barn and try and buy 3-4 spanish goats or find a private seller and buy 3-4. Transport them to your property. Turn them loose. Fenced or not doesn't matter. Take PICTURES of them eating and standing around like goats do. Use the pics to claim an "ag exemption" on your dirt. After you take the pics shoot one and bbq it. Yummy and VERY LOW TAXES for ever.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 5:01:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Congrats!

We really like that area.  Be sure to stop in Burnet and visit Wedding Oak Winery.  I know the owners.

They have some really good wines.

CMOS
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 5:50:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Congrats man. My wife does real estate and their is a 40 acre track in Chester for $165k. Its kinda landlocked with a hunting lease but does have an easement assigned to it. Wish i could buy it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 12:12:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Property is located about a mile or two from the junction of cr 202 and 203.

Update on the property: contractor finished clearing my drive and house site. Drive way is 1900 feet long and power line run looks to be about 750 yards from across the road.
The engineer is suppose to stake the line path sometime this week.
House should be in about the middle of October.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 3:52:58 PM EDT
[#15]
your in Burnet now baby An Oct Finish date means March 2022

Or you may want them to clarify Oct of what year.

Link Posted: 9/30/2021 12:20:44 PM EDT
[#16]
You’re talking about Hurst place. The area has a metric shit ton of cool history. When you take a left off 202 at Sunny lane ( Pedro’s place ) on the hill it takes you to Lampasas. It was a stage coach route back in the day. About 50 yards pass the little bridge you can see a grave on the side of the road to your right. No one knows who it is. At the intersection of 202 and 203 the old standing building was a general store and post office. There was also a blacksmith shop and cotton gin across the creek next to the old Field house. This is the head waters to the San Gabriel as well.
Good luck and welcome to the area
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 3:28:25 PM EDT
[#17]
when the PEC engineer stake the pole locations and released the work order to the contruction section he told us htey were bout 10 weeks out.  We made a run out to drop a trailer two weeks ago and saw the line crew had been there and completed the work.  From the time the work order was released until completion was about 6 weeks.  YMMV
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 1:12:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You’re talking about Hurst place. The area has a metric shit ton of cool history. When you take a left off 202 at Sunny lane ( Pedro’s place ) on the hill it takes you to Lampasas. It was a stage coach route back in the day. About 50 yards pass the little bridge you can see a grave on the side of the road to your right. No one knows who it is. At the intersection of 202 and 203 the old standing building was a general store and post office. There was also a blacksmith shop and cotton gin across the creek next to the old Field house. This is the head waters to the San Gabriel as well.
Good luck and welcome to the area
View Quote

You ever been to Deadman's Hole? That's a creepy place.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 2:07:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have and it is. My grandmothers family has lived here for a long time. The historic name of the community is actually Sage and not Hurst Place. That’s a developer thing. Have you been to Blacks fort off 1174? I believe the name of that community was Strickland. I need to pull out the ol History of Burnet county books and verify.
 Grandma used to have some really interesting stories about Deadman’s, Indian depredations, the dust bowl, Great Depression and other stuff only interesting to people like me. In the 70’s and 80’s there was nothing out here. After the depression and during WWII most people moved to the cities and worked in manufacturing etc.
I had permission to hunt and fish almost ever ranch I could get to. It was a very different time. I would leave in the morning with a fishing pole or .22 and be gone all day in the summer. Almost all the roads here were still caleche and sometimes the only traffic for days was the rural route carrier. A lot of sheep were raised in this area besides cattle. I still have nightmares about shearing sheep and hauling hay. Even into the late 70’s my grandparents would take a horse drawn buggy down the road and we would harvest native peaches to can. Some really salt of the earth people lived out in this area but most have passed on. I consider myself very lucky to have met and learned from them. Almost all of the family owned ranches are split up and no longer exist. The old school house at the intersection of 1174 and 963 where my grandmothers sister taught school is gone. She’s still alive at 103 although her body is in decay her mind is still sharp as a razor. My grandmother taught school in Tow around the same time.
 Things change and I hope my kids won’t bust up the ranch and sell it but they haven’t shown much interest in it. I offered to give my daughter and son land to build on and that didn’t even work. On the other hand my brother and I might just put it into a trust to hold on a little longer. The grandchildren seem to like it more than them anyway.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 2:33:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 10:44:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I have and it is. My grandmothers family has lived here for a long time. The historic name of the community is actually Sage and not Hurst Place. That’s a developer thing. Have you been to Blacks fort off 1174? I believe the name of that community was Strickland. I need to pull out the ol History of Burnet county books and verify.
 Grandma used to have some really interesting stories about Deadman’s, Indian depredations, the dust bowl, Great Depression and other stuff only interesting to people like me. In the 70’s and 80’s there was nothing out here. After the depression and during WWII most people moved to the cities and worked in manufacturing etc.
I had permission to hunt and fish almost ever ranch I could get to. It was a very different time. I would leave in the morning with a fishing pole or .22 and be gone all day in the summer. Almost all the roads here were still caleche and sometimes the only traffic for days was the rural route carrier. A lot of sheep were raised in this area besides cattle. I still have nightmares about shearing sheep and hauling hay. Even into the late 70’s my grandparents would take a horse drawn buggy down the road and we would harvest native peaches to can. Some really salt of the earth people lived out in this area but most have passed on. I consider myself very lucky to have met and learned from them. Almost all of the family owned ranches are split up and no longer exist. The old school house at the intersection of 1174 and 963 where my grandmothers sister taught school is gone. She’s still alive at 103 although her body is in decay her mind is still sharp as a razor. My grandmother taught school in Tow around the same time.
 Things change and I hope my kids won’t bust up the ranch and sell it but they haven’t shown much interest in it. I offered to give my daughter and son land to build on and that didn’t even work. On the other hand my brother and I might just put it into a trust to hold on a little longer. The grandchildren seem to like it more than them anyway.
View Quote

Interesting.  More and more acreage being split up or sold to developers with people moving further out from Austin.  I heard that property on 1174 being developed is the first of a couple being done along that stretch.  There is definitely a lot more traffic here on 203 than there was when I first moved out here 9 or so years ago.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 12:01:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just remember, you can always add me and the ol' lady as beneficiaries to the trust.
I've always enjoyed spending time at your place throughout the years,@DiazOsos, and your friendship and candor has always been  appreciated ever since we met back in our high school days.

I really miss Burnet County, but the urban sprawl has increasingly encroached for years now, it's just not the same place as it was in our youths.

I'm not far enough away either, here in Bastrop County.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 4:26:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Just remember, you can always add me and the ol' lady as beneficiaries to the trust.
I've always enjoyed spending time at your place throughout the years,@DiazOsos, and your friendship and candor has always been  appreciated ever since we met back in our high school days.

I really miss Burnet County, but the urban sprawl has increasingly encroached for years now, it's just not the same place as it was in our youths.

I'm not far enough away either, here in Bastrop County.
View Quote

Thank you for the kind words Amigo. It was good times back when you could drive down the river at the slabs and beat the snot out of that  ol 67 SS chevelle. You’re always welcome at the D bar.
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 4:33:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Beautiful country.  Congrats
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 3:30:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Property is located about a mile or two from the junction of cr 202 and 203.
View Quote

I hunt several properties in the Mahomet/Bertram area.  It can be good piggin during the right seasons.
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 8:45:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I hunt several properties in the Mahomet/Bertram area.  It can be good piggin during the right seasons.
View Quote

Yes I know. My cousins had a ranch about 4 miles east that hunted until they died in 2019.

I was seeing on camera pig Sounders number around 60 to 70 in size.

2019 I took a ?? that weighed in the neighborhood of 1k pounds.

Judging by the tracks at my new place, I may have near the same numbers.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 9:21:06 AM EDT
[#27]
I’m not far away and took pride in the fact we didn’t have any pigs ( run an eradication company ) yet here I am with pig infiltration over the last few months.  There are places on my ranch that are nearly impossible to get into unless you crawl with a chainsaw, so it’s not going to be easy getting rid of them all.  They’re really starting to spread in the Burnet/Lampasas counties.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 9:30:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Well the pec engineer will stake the power line route either this Thursday or the following Tuesday weather permitting.

Went up today and setup a 200 yard shooting range and put out a deer feeder.

Met my neighbors deer hunters also. Nice guys. We talked what is moving around right now.

Also staked where the house will go for the engineer.

From the number of pig tracks, I will need a bigger smoker.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 7:56:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Anyone in Burnet area seen any big cats lately? We have a couple miniature donkeys that were attacked by something not long ago.   Noses/mouths torn up, one had what looked like some small claw marks on its face.  Though maybe coyotes, but have heard there have been big scat spotted over the years.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 8:23:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Anyone in Burnet area seen any big cats lately? We have a couple miniature donkeys that were attacked by something not long ago.   Noses/mouths torn up, one had what looked like some small claw marks on its face.  Though maybe coyotes, but have heard there have been big scat spotted over the years.
View Quote

The house dragon almost hit one down at the corner several years back and several have been spotted along the creek over the years. I would almost guarantee it was coyotes that attacked them however.I heard them carrying on pretty good the other night. Eric and I popped several in the back part of the pasture last year. When we were calling with a distressed rabbit call. But we were getting hogs too and coons coming to it as well. I’ve seen a shit ton of fox and bobcat over the past few years also. Patterns change as more neighbors move in.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 9:31:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Forgot to mention. After the rain the other night tracks and blood should be easy to find.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 12:53:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Before we sold my cousin’s ranch in 2019, I varmint hunted regularly each year.

I had pumas come in just about every time. We had a resident female that would have two Cubs each year.

We first noticed big cats in 1985. Had a number of mountain lions that learned where I cleaned deer. When they heard a shot they would show up while I cleaned the deer. Needless to say I kept a handgun ready.

The ranch was over at shady grove.
Further of note cats tend to kill by attacking the nose and neck area of their prey white coyotes tend to attack the stomach and hind legs area when trying to kill the prey.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 8:45:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Someone hit one with a car on FM2341 out by Thunderbird Lodge in the last few days. There have been several sightings on Park Rd 4 over the years.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 12:33:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Interesting, thanks everyone for sharing info.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 7:36:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Someone hit one with a car on FM2341 out by Thunderbird Lodge in the last few days. There have been several sightings on Park Rd 4 over the years.
View Quote

They are most definitely roaming the canyons of the North and South branches of Morgan Creek that drain into Lake Buchanan and have been forever.

Even jaguars,  black bear, red wolves, and bison used to roam as far north of the Buchanan basin before the dams were built that form the Highland Lakes and before the market hunters nearly wiped everything out in the state.

The mountain lions have always been in the hill country and all the way down to the coast where the rivers drain to the Gulf.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top