Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/15/2021 12:17:40 PM EDT
Hey all, UP is breaking out The Big Boy again, and they're coming to Texas.

Friday, August 13th will have Big Boy leaving McAlester, OK and head south on the UP Choctaw Sub.  The Choctaw is the line that parallels US69/75 until Denison, Texas where it will head west, following US82 until Whitesboro, Texas where it will head south for Fort Worth, Texas along US377.

There will be several planned stops along the way for various durations

Atoka, OK for 30 minutes

Dooorant, OK for 15 minutes

Pottsboro, Texas for 30 minutes

Pilot Point, Texas for 15 minutes

Denton, Texas for 30 minutes

There may be some unplanned stops.  Several UP folks think it may stop in Ray Yard (Denison, Texas).  There may be some corporate photo run-bys

Saturday, August 14th, UP 4014 will be on display for the day.  You can touch it, take pictures around it, see the pax cars.  Cab will probably be off limits.  It will be on the "Gauntlet Track".  I suggest you come in from the west (Downtown) on 8th Street.  Parking will be a bitch.

Sunday, August 15th, UP 4014 will head south through Tower 55 Interlocker, past Ney Yard out of Ft Worth down the UP Midlothian Sub.  This line will be a bitch to follow it on as it doesnt parallel and highways.  Its off in the sticks. US 287 parallels it here until it gets to Garrett, Texas, and from then its I-45 to Richland, Texas, then on TX-14 to Hammond, Texas where it will follow TX-6 to Hearne.  4014 will stay the night in Hearne, Texas

Official stops are as follows

Midlothian, Texas for 15 minutes

Waxahachie, Texas for 15 minutes

Ennis, Texas for 45 minutes (at the old SP depot in town)

Corsicana, Texas for 15 minutes

Mexia, Texas for 45 minutes

There may be some unplanned stops as well.

Note: TX-14 is gonna suck.  It will be clogged with railfans and foamers.  You will see the ugly side of that hobby.

After Hearne, 4014 will head to Houston, it will be on display there for a day.  Then its going to Beaumont and New Orleans.  The rest of the schedule is here
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 1:13:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Hope it does stop in Denison but if not we'll check it out in either Dooooorant or Pottsboro.

Eta Aug 15th is a Sunday? First day you have the 15th instead of the 13th.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 8:30:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool, I live way too close to the track that parallels 377. I'll put that on my calendar.

It is indeed the 13th, OP has the wrong date.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 7:37:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 10:45:21 AM EDT
[#4]
well worth seeing.......caught her in Col.Sta.......early in the morning, while she worked up steam and then departed north.
TexasAg
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:20:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not great at this stuff, so here goes.

In the following link you will see a bunch of tracks.  This is the north end of Tower 55, the major interlocker that now sits under the I35W and I30 interchange.  The tracks you need to be concerned with are the 4 parallel tracks on the right side of the map.  Of those 4 tracks, UP4014 *should* park on the western most of the 4 tracks, "The Gauntlet".  I say "should" because things and plans change.  Personally, if I was gonna go for pics sake, I'd wait until after noon.  Yeah, it'll be hot, but the light will be decent.  UP may/may not allow you to park on those dirt pads, I wouldnt assume pro/con at all, just ask.  This is a good will, and friend making trip, but there are limits as to what you can expect.

https://goo.gl/maps/FinbSKLnw3Q7U3ng9
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 3:49:08 PM EDT
[#6]
THANKS OP!
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 11:58:53 AM EDT
[#7]
tag
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 4:14:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Wish I could find the photos. I climbed all around that beast while it was parked in Scranton in 1982. It’s a massive machine.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 5:17:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Very cool.   THX OP.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 1:55:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
tag
View Quote

@ilikelegs

I am happy to drive you.  We can even do some night photography like nights passed.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 6:31:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Used to be one over at Fair Park, had a deal where you could blow the whistle too.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Used to be one over at Fair Park, had a deal where you could blow the whistle too.
View Quote

Its in Frisco, at that idiotic museum up there.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 8:26:15 AM EDT
[#13]
On the 18th, it's going to be about 6 miles up the road from me, out in the middle of nowhere.  I plan on going up there to see it.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 5:58:39 PM EDT
[#14]
I plan to go see it while on display here in Fort Worth this Saturday August 14th.    
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 9:21:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 1:38:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks like she'll hit Waxahachie and Ennis too.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 4:24:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Note: TX-14 is gonna suck.  It will be clogged with railfans and foamers.  You will see the ugly side of that hobby.

View Quote

When 4018 was moved from Fair Park to Frisco there must have been at a minimum 1,000 people lining the tracks in the very worst part of South Dallas. That was nuts to see. A real spectacle. I thought that there might be a couple of people waiting around to see it. Nope. Lots of pushing and shoving and yelling by some serious, serious, serious train fans.
Link Posted: 8/10/2021 5:41:49 PM EDT
[#18]
A few years ago, we were in West, Texas visiting family and stopped at the Czech American restaurant to eat. We were outside milling around before we left and a regular, modern diesel electric train pulls into town and stops. A few guys got out to get food. Anyway, my Dad takes my son, who was about 4 at the time, over to the train to just get a closer look. They weren't expecting anything. Just cool to see a train up close.

One of the guys in the engine comes out and starts talking to them, next thing you know, I'm watching them both climb aboard the train for a personal tour!!!

Then my son appears in the drivers wind, blows the horn and the whole bit. They stayed on there about 10 minutes and the other guys came back and they got off. And we all stood there watching the train as it rolled away.

That dude probably broke a dozen rules and regs and union shit, but it was cool as hell for the both of them.

Of course, ironically, about 25 years ago, my cousin's boyfriend was drunk and was driving through West when the train was slow rolling through town. He and his buddies decided they couldn't wait and attempted to climb over the moving train. He slipped and fell with both arms across the track. The train didn't miss a beat and pruned them right off. She married him anyway, had kids, got divorced and he eventually committed suicide. So as cool as they are, trains aren't very forgiving.

Link Posted: 8/10/2021 8:29:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

When 4018 was moved from Fair Park to Frisco there must have been at a minimum 1,000 people lining the tracks in the very worst part of South Dallas. That was nuts to see. A real spectacle. I thought that there might be a couple of people waiting around to see it. Nope. Lots of pushing and shoving and yelling by some serious, serious, serious train fans.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was at SP Jct which is down where Lamar adn Budd intersect (near Bonton) when DGNO moved it.  It was said to see, knowing I will never see that equipment again, because of that shady-assed museum and the assholes that run it.

Most railfans are oblivious to their surroundings, both for scene security and being a good photographer.  If I'm at a spot, whether I am railfanning for the hell of it (not likely these days) or for something special, I am always looking over my shoulder, and I will call you out for stepping in shots.  It's not difficult to get a good shot at a spot with lots of people without getting in someone else's shot or trespassing.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 5:45:47 PM EDT
[#20]
That is one BIG BOY. The whistle makes your body shake. We went to Pottsboro. Bunch of people there.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 7:41:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 9:14:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Being the village idiot I didn't realize how fast that damn thing was going to be moving. This was the best I could come up with...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 10:55:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Being the village idiot I didn't realize how fast that damn thing was going to be moving. This was the best I could come up with...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/466631/DSC_0181_02_JPG-2051691.JPG
View Quote

That's a good shot!
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 6:37:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 8:16:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm heading out with the Grandson to go see the Big Boy!
View Quote

We will see you there, heading up now.
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 1:22:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 5:36:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Went this afternoon. Then hit Heim for some pulled pork and brisket.
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 6:52:30 PM EDT
[#28]
We got there are 10:30, parking was a bit of a bitch, but not super bad. Got to listen to the head engineer give his talk, he was very good. Got some pictures I will post later. Did not get in the huge line to go through the rest of the train since it started raining.

Hit Babe’s up for chicken on the way home.
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 8:19:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

My trip was cancelled. We were almost to the Gkids house when their mom found lice in their hair. I'm sad that we are going to miss it but lice treatment is the order of the day.
View Quote

So get them out trackside and watch it roar by....
Then shave their heads.
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 8:25:17 PM EDT
[#30]
As heads up, here is tomorrow's itinerary

Sunday, August 15

Fort Worth, Texas
One block east of 825 E. 9th St
Depart 8:00 a.m. CT

Midlothian, Texas
North 9th Street Crossing
Arrival 9:15 a.m. CT
Depart 9:30 a.m. CT

Waxahachie, Texas
Ferris St. Crossing
Arrival 10:00 a.m. CT
Depart 10:15 a.m. CT

Ennis, Texas
Ennis St & Main St.
Arrival 10:45 a.m. CT
Depart 11:30 a.m. CT

Corsicana, Texas
S. 12th Street Crossing
Arrival 12:15 p.m. CT
Depart 12:30 p.m. CT

Mexia, Texas
E. Commerce Street
Arrival 1:30 p.m. CT
Depart 2:15 p.m. CT

Hearne, Texas
2003 Market St.
Arrival 4:30p.m. CT
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 8:40:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 9:18:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

My trip was cancelled. We were almost to the Gkids house when their mom found lice in their hair. I'm sad that we are going to miss it but lice treatment is the order of the day.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm heading out with the Grandson to go see the Big Boy!

We will see you there, heading up now.

Suck! Hopefully I'll be seeing it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 1:02:53 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 2:58:11 PM EDT
[#34]
From Pottsboro Friday. I swear half of Grayson county was there.
BTW: the MKT has a nice little museum on east Main in Denison now.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 8:47:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Went and saw her in Hearne today.

Link Posted: 8/15/2021 9:17:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 9:17:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 9:18:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I have to tell you men this story. As you all know, I was supposed to take my Grandson who is 7 to see the 4014 in Fort Worth on Saturday. His mom found lice in his hair Saturday morning. She spent all day saturday treating the kids and herself, just to be sure. She made plans to take them to see the train in Midlothian this morning. When she woke him up, (He's the oldest) he asked if me and my wife (Pawpaw and Nana) were going. She told him no. He told her he didn't want to go. Now I'm crying again.
View Quote

That'll definitely tug at your heart strings.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 10:40:00 PM EDT
[#39]
I saw it when it passed thru Roanoke on Friday but it was hauling ass and I had about 3 seconds to take pictures. Went down to Waxahachie this morning where it stopped and it was a zoo, probably close to 1000 people there but at least I had time for photos.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 10:46:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I saw it when it passed thru Roanoke on Friday but it was hauling ass and I had about 3 seconds to take pictures. Went down to Waxahachie this morning where it stopped and it was a zoo, probably close to 1000 people there but at least I had time for photos.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/466631/dsc_0251_bw_01_15x15_jpg-2054533.JPG
View Quote

Nice. How did you manage to get a shot without 87 other folks in the background?

But then again, drag races, NASCAR, and airshows are about the only places with big crowds I've been to where the crowd was aware of people taking pictures.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 11:58:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Cropped them out... I like the way these look in B&W so I converted a couple of them to monochrome.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 3:14:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 8:19:02 PM EDT
[#43]
I went to go see it at Houston today. What a shit show.

Had to park seven blocks away. The exercise didn't bother me, but crossing Washington on foot was sporty.

Then when you get to it, you could barely see it. They parked it right next to the Amtrak terminal, so very little of the right side was visible. You could get to the left side, but the pedestrian barrier was only about six feet from it. Impossible to get a decent picture.

So I got a pic of the nose and sent it to family. We had several generations of RR workers in the 1800's. Grandfather broke the mold after WWI and we haven't worked the rails since.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 11:51:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Saw it in Corsicana! Got a couple of videos of arrival and departure that I'll try to post up if I can figure out a way to do it. Fair amount of people but only one jerk who parked in front of us. We told him to move, he got assy, but decided to move after all. Great piece of machinery.

Well I looked at some of the other videos and they were essentially the same as mine. So in the interest of saving site resources I'll not post mine.
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 1:41:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Not a Union Pacific, but the first thing I thought of was the Bob's or Kips, Big Boy landmark in Houston, though not nearly as impressive.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 7:16:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
A few years ago, we were in West, Texas visiting family and stopped at the Czech American restaurant to eat. We were outside milling around before we left and a regular, modern diesel electric train pulls into town and stops. A few guys got out to get food. Anyway, my Dad takes my son, who was about 4 at the time, over to the train to just get a closer look. They weren't expecting anything. Just cool to see a train up close.

One of the guys in the engine comes out and starts talking to them, next thing you know, I'm watching them both climb aboard the train for a personal tour!!!

Then my son appears in the drivers wind, blows the horn and the whole bit. They stayed on there about 10 minutes and the other guys came back and they got off. And we all stood there watching the train as it rolled away.

That dude probably broke a dozen rules and regs and union shit, but it was cool as hell for the both of them.

Of course, ironically, about 25 years ago, my cousin's boyfriend was drunk and was driving through West when the train was slow rolling through town. He and his buddies decided they couldn't wait and attempted to climb over the moving train. He slipped and fell with both arms across the track. The train didn't miss a beat and pruned them right off. She married him anyway, had kids, got divorced and he eventually committed suicide. So as cool as they are, trains aren't very forgiving.

View Quote
@joemama74

I believe I knew that guy, if he’s the same one. Used to work at Rodina auto parts store.
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 10:02:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Not a Union Pacific, but the first thing I thought of was the Bob's or Kips, Big Boy landmark in Houston, though not nearly as impressive.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/52900/big_boy_restaurant_mascot__300x450__jpg-2056837.JPG
View Quote

Wait.  Are you saying there's a Bob's or Kip's Big Boy in Houston?! Well shit, I now I have a second reason to go to Houston.

I was wearing a Kip's Big Boy hat when I chased UP 4014 Friday and Sunday.
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 11:31:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/52900/big_boy_restaurant_mascot__300x450__jpg-2056837.JPG
View Quote

That is the statue of the original Bob’s Big Boy from SoCal. The first one is right by Burbank.
Link Posted: 8/18/2021 11:46:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
@joemama74

I believe I knew that guy, if he’s the same one. Used to work at Rodina auto parts store.
View Quote

Probably. I didn't really know him. About as close I ever came to having a conversation with him, was taking a piss two stalls over at their wedding, and the only reason I remember that is because, well... how does a guy with no hands take a piss? He had hooks and stuff, he figured it out.  

I felt bad for my cousin all the way around. When she was pregnant with their first kid, her mom, my aunt, committed suicide. Then she went through the divorce, I had just gone through a divorce myself, so I tried to keep her encouraged, I didn't want her to end up the same way.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 11:04:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Some good pics in here. Missed it in Houston by having to work out in the field last week(weather sucked on Friday too). Got to at least see the steam/smoke coming up from it sitting at the amktrak station driving up 45 though downtown coming home.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top