Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2021 2:23:05 PM EDT
I'm in the process of buying a place in Nocona but don't know much about the area.

Any good shooting ranges? Gun shops? Hidden gems and stuff to do?
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 8:13:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not, but have spent a good bit of time around there. Nice area. Have friends that like 82 BBQ. Some decent food and the artillery museum down in St Jo. Good German food within motorcycle ride down towards Muenster. Horton Classic Car Museum in Nocona. Nocona Brewery.  Used to have a small drag strip there, but I don't know if it's there anymore. Trade days in Bowie if they have reopened them. Not too far from Gainesville if you need a "big city" trip.

As far as shooting ranges out there, I don't know. Many shoot on their own land.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 10:59:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Only range out that way I know of is Goin Firearms in Marysville (North and slightly east of Muenster). I haven't really heard of any ranges in Montague County, just Cooke and Grayson for Red River area shooting.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 3:30:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys. I just finished closing on my new place in Nocona.

Hopefully it's a decent area Sounds like it so far. My brother spoke to the Muenster police chief and he likes both Muenster and Nocona, so that sounds promising.

Definitely want to hit up the artillery museum!
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 12:25:50 PM EDT
[#4]
No ranges that I know of- plenty of wide open land so people just shoot on their own or friends land.

It’s a good place- changed ALOT since I grew up there. Still have family and friends in the area.

I think Bowie has a gun shop, the ace hardware in Nocona used to have a showcase of mainly Ruger and Henry stuff with limited ammo. True value hardware also carries ammo, or they used to.

A few places to eat in Nocona. Bowie has more to offer. Wichita Falls is your closest big shopping area.

People there are good but with any small town it can be cliquish. I’m sure there are a lot more people new to the area with all of the money that’s been poured into the town in recent years.

The Fenoglio family has a hand it just about everything north of the county seat - or did. I don’t know much about the Horton influence other than they sunk a bunch of cash into fixing up buildings that had been vacant for decades.

There used to be a tire shop out on the west end of town- great people, and the auto shop in town. I think the same people own it but now it’s their kids who run them.

Lake Nocona is plenty big and just up the road
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top