Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/21/2020 8:15:26 PM EDT
Ok I been waiting until after Virginia.

Gonna start with small goals.  I do not know, obviously, what the conditioning is of those who would be a part of this.  I am not real old, but I am getting there, so baby steps....I'm still pretty mobile but maybe lack some of your cardio.

I cannot find good places to hike WITH RIFLES.  Go at your own speed.  I am thinking the first hike will be at Grapevine Lake, more to come.  But if that is the case there will be no rifles allowed.  For that matter I think it would be a concealed means concealed situation.

I feel like this may end up into at LEAST 3 splinter groups.  There is NE Tarrent co interest(me), interest in Collin and Denton counties.

So this is the feeler post.  We will start with what I consider a shorter hike, details forthcoming.  You decided to carry a weighted pack or not.

Sign in for interest, give a generic geographic location to see if we need to break off into splinter groups.

I HOPE THIS GOES SOME PLACE, if not you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 8:18:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Ok I been waiting until after Virginia.

Gonna start with small goals.  I do not know, obviously, what the conditioning is of those who would be a part of this.  I am not real old, but I am getting there, so baby steps....I'm still pretty mobile but maybe lack some of your cardio.

I cannot find good places to hike WITH RIFLES.  Go at your own speed.  I am thinking the first hike will be at Grapevine Lake, more to come.  But if that is the case there will be no rifles allowed.  For that matter I think it would be a concealed means concealed situation.

I feel like this may end up into at LEAST 3 splinter groups.  There is NE Tarrent co interest(me), interest in Collin and Denton counties.

So this is the feeler post.  We will start with what I consider a shorter hike, details forthcoming.  You decided to carry a weighted pack or not.

Sign in for interest, give a generic geographic location to see if we need to break off into splinter groups.

I HOPE THIS GOES SOME PLACE, if not you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
View Quote

I'd be in to meet up for sure. I'm in Sachse, but would be up to drive every once in a while.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 8:19:43 PM EDT
[#2]
FYI if you are totally clueless this is an off shoot from Virginia.

If you aren't in DFW, start your own group?

See here for those who don't read GD much.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/A-Call-to-all-American-Battle-Buddies-ABB-Updated-Challenge-in-OP-/5-2271929/

Goal is to meet a couple times a month and hike together.  Get out of "basements", improve our fitness level.  Maybe actually train together....JoeMal has put together a couple classes, I got to attend one of them.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 8:21:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'd be in to meet up for sure. I'm in Sachse, but would be up to drive every once in a while.
View Quote
Geographical locations mean we remain flexible.  Maybe I have to drive to a spot that way.

Some spots I tried to scope out, all gun free
Grapevine Lake
LLELA in Lewisville
Cedar Hill park
River Legacy Arlington
Lake Ray Roberts, various parks.

From there hep me mang....?
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 8:23:37 PM EDT
[#4]
East Denton county. Will travel. my home situation is pretty crazy for the foreseeable future so if timing works out I am interested in attending. I appreciate you taking this on. A bunch of guys were looking at me as I was tagged in one of the early Virginia threads but again I'm probably the least worthy of trying to get this together due to my current situation at home.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 8:26:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
East Denton county. Will travel. my home situation is pretty crazy for the foreseeable future so if timing works out I am interested in attending. I appreciate you taking this on. A bunch of guys were looking at me as I was tagged in one of the early Virginia threads but again I'm probably the least worthy of trying to get this together due to my current situation at home.
View Quote
This whole thing will be fluid and flexible.

But I want to start inclusive and meet all of you.  Then maybe we break off into geographical suitable groups.  You seem to have a pretty strong group already over that way.

Thanks for all you have done in this direction...training and such.  You are a good man.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 8:29:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Appreciate it sir. I'll tag the usuals in a couple days but I'm assuming they'll find this

Happy to participate at a crew leader level of I can make it
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 8:54:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Geographical locations mean we remain flexible.  Maybe I have to drive to a spot that way.

Grapevine Lake
LLELA in Lewisville
Cedar Hill park
River Legacy Arlington

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grapevine Lake
LLELA in Lewisville
Cedar Hill park
River Legacy Arlington

@Lug1 You're looking for a place to open carry rifles?
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 8:56:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

@Lug1 You're looking for a place to open carry rifles?
View Quote
I have been.  I haven't found a lot of options yet.  The places I am looking have been park lands with regulations.  Grapevine is for sure a no go.  River Legacy in Arlington might be a go.

No on LLELA, not sure on Ray Roberts parks.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 9:10:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I have been working on it myself for awhile. Been down with the flu so I need to get back to work.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 9:17:15 PM EDT
[#10]
You might look into land that you can hunt on like the LBJ grasslands or National Forrests if you want to pack a rifle.

Maybe even find some public land in OK.

Some of the state parks have good hiking. I put a lot of miles into testing my gear at Tyler and a few others before going to Colorado.

If you start hiking a lot a state park pass more than pays for itself in a few visits, plus anyone in the vehicle with you gets in free as well.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 9:22:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You might look into land that you can hunt on like the LBJ grasslands or National Forrests if you want to pack a rifle.

Maybe even find some public land in OK.

Some of the state parks have good hiking. I put a lot of miles into testing my gear at Tyler and a few others before going to Colorado.

If you start hiking a lot a state park pass more than pays for itself in a few visits, plus anyone in the vehicle with you gets in free as well.
View Quote
I agree.  I was going to do so, wanted to wait until hunting seasons were over.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 9:48:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm very interested in this. I'm down in Waco.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 10:00:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Super interesting
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 10:02:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm in North Fort Worth
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 10:19:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Innerasted.

Southern Denton Co.

My guess is any state park will be a no-go for rifles.  Most, if not all, lakes around here are Corps of Engineer land, so also no-go.

A bit of a drive (ie: not really swing-by-after-work sort of places for most), but the Caddo grasslands are in Fannin Co, and the LBJ grasslands are in Wise Co.  Those may or may not be AR-friendly.  They're hunting areas and have certain firearm restrictions when hunting.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/texas/about-forest/districts/?cid=fswdev3_008440

Restrictions:  https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd489511.pdf

Pursuant to the provisions of 16 U.S.C., Section 551 and Title 36 C.F.R. 261.50(a) the following acts are prohibited within the specified area.

This prohibition applies to all National Forests and Grasslands in Texas.

1. Possessing a loaded firearm within or on a motor vehicle. This prohibition will not apply to a handgun in the possession of a person who holds a valid Texas License to Carry Handgun permit for that handgun. 36 C.F.R. 261.53(e)

2. Possessing a loaded firearm within the following locations or sites: (a) a designated campsite; (b) a designated vehicle parking area; (c) a designated boat launching facility or area; (d) a Texas Parks and Wildlife Department or U.S. Forest Service Check Station; (e) a designated archery-only area. This prohibition will not apply to a handgun in the possession of a person who holds a valid Texas License to Carry Handgun permit for that handgun. 36 C.F.R. 261.53(e)

3. Being under the influence of alcohol or consuming alcoholic beverages while engaged in hunting activities, or publicly consuming or displaying an alcoholic beverage. 36 C.F.R. 261.58(bb)

Pursuant to 36 CFR 261.50(e), the following persons are exempt from this Order:

1. Persons with a permit specifically authorizing the otherwise prohibited act or omission.

2. Any Federal, State, or local officer, or member of an organized rescue or fire fighting force in the performance of an official duty.

These prohibitions are in addition to the general prohibitions in 36 CFR Part 261, Subpart A.

Executed in Lufkin, Texas this 8th day of January, 2016.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 10:36:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I was thinking about starting a thread like this after VA

I'm in. Located in Kaufman Co. but will travel.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 11:03:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was thinking about starting a thread like this after VA

I'm in. Located in Kaufman Co. but will travel.
View Quote
Was good to meet you in person.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 11:13:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I know it's a drive for most of you, but our local trail system doesn't have any issue that I can find with hiking with a rifle. As long as you don't discharge it, apparently, which is understandable.

Brazos River Hiking trails

City of Waco Ordinances
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 11:21:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I know it's a drive for most of you, but our local trail system doesn't have any issue that I can find with hiking with a rifle. As long as you don't discharge it, apparently, which is understandable.

Brazos River Hiking trails

City of Waco Ordinances
View Quote
cool
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 11:26:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thanks, it was great to meet you too.
What an awesome trip. My first arfcom outing is going to be hard to top.

Also finally made it to double digits posts!
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 11:34:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your first arfcom outing was HISTORICAL!
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 11:35:19 PM EDT
[#22]
In on this! Been hiking by myself and with my kids at Knob Hill. No rifles but a damn fine trail. Unfortunately some of the trail is underwater right now though.

ETA: I'm in Argyle
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 11:38:39 PM EDT
[#23]
In for future info.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 12:31:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Fat, balding, and was medically precluded (arthritis/mobility) from service.

To know more
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 12:55:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Carrying rifles in state parks is a no-go (blanket prohibition on long arms, stemming from hunting regs).

Open carry of handguns, however, is gtg EXCEPT in parks that are run by TPWD but owned by the Army Corps of Engineers.  It's dumb as hell, but Army rules trump state park regs on Army dirt.

I can't remember offhand which parks that effects, but I'll find out for sure on Thursday.

Buy a park pass(es) and carpool.  Everyone in the vehicle with the pass holder gets in free.

Source: I work for TPWD.

ETA:  if anyone is looking to start an Austin/Lost Pines group, I'm in.  Between the LCRA parks and state parks there should be plenty of options.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 1:20:23 AM EDT
[#26]
In for Southern Collin County splinter group, SoCoCoTXBB?
In for hike soon.  I will be working my way up to a full load with some distance.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 1:48:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Lol. I just weighed both of my rifles... I'd be better off just hauling the 45lbs.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 1:52:41 AM EDT
[#28]
The outer loop around the Texas motor speedway is 5 miles. Scenery would be kinda boring but would be easy to BS while we hiked.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 5:58:03 AM EDT
[#29]
In for this as well

Denton County / Argyle / Northlake / Texas Motor Speedway
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 12:19:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Tagging.

South of y’all in Bell county if anyone is in central Texas.

I haven’t been hiking with rifles, but I’m training for a half marathon and shoot pistol competitions bi monthly.  Need to get into 3 gun and get some rifle time in.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 12:38:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Tagging.

South of y’all in Bell county if anyone is in central Texas.

I haven’t been hiking with rifles, but I’m training for a half marathon and shoot pistol competitions bi monthly.  Need to get into 3 gun and get some rifle time in.
View Quote
@74novaman

I'm just north of you in Waco if you want to link up for a hike. Think we need one more though.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 1:18:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Carrying rifles in state parks is a no-go (blanket prohibition on long arms, stemming from hunting regs).

Open carry of handguns, however, is gtg EXCEPT in parks that are run by TPWD but owned by the Army Corps of Engineers.  It's dumb as hell, but Army rules trump state park regs on Army dirt.

I can't remember offhand which parks that effects, but I'll find out for sure on Thursday.

Buy a park pass(es) and carpool.  Everyone in the vehicle with the pass holder gets in free.

Source: I work for TPWD.

ETA:  if anyone is looking to start an Austin/Lost Pines group, I'm in.  Between the LCRA parks and state parks there should be plenty of options.
View Quote
Sent PM.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 2:14:31 PM EDT
[#33]
I would definitely be interested. I'm in Dallas. Only hangup for me right now is working on Saturdays. Sundays, I'm in! I'll help with organizing if I can.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 2:28:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

@74novaman

I'm just north of you in Waco if you want to link up for a hike. Think we need one more though.
View Quote
Sounds good.  Timing is hard for me, toddler in the house and a busy wife.  I’m working out at night after kiddo goes to bed, and prioritize matches during the weekend if/when I can.  But I’m trying to stay plugged in.  Virginia showed us the value of a good network.  I’ve done some of that with competition shooting, Cola Warrior, etc but more is always better.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 2:34:57 PM EDT
[#35]
I know how that goes, got two toddlers in the house. I'm able to male most weekends work. I usually go up to North Texas Multigun and shoot a few matches a month.
Gonna be up there on the 2nd of Feb for one.

Was gonna try and get out to the Brazos river trails at Cameron Park and get eyes on this weekend sometime, depending on weather.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:00:20 PM EDT
[#36]
My doc confirmed in October that I've got bone spurs jabbing my achilles and he wants to completely cut thing apart to fix it. I told him I was going to put it off as long as possible.

That said, I went on a 4 mile hike with the cub scouts in December with my son and I trading off our main pack and water bottles over at Camp Wisdom in Duncanville. Didn't set any land speed records, but I wasn't completely beat to shit after either.

Our next camp/hike is in March, my son wants a hydration pack, so I just bought about 3 different setups for us to try out. No guns out there, but a gallon or two of water is a good place to start.

@refidnasb is the official Trinity Forest guide for South Dallas. Some of that has concrete paths, but a lot of it doesn't. No rifles, but you definitely want a concealed handgun and ammo because if you're inside the I20 loop, you're gonna see some shit.

I easily walked 5 miles on the concrete last year on my birthday, but it's harder on your feet. I've done the I20 to Loop 12 path a couple of times on the soft trails. I've never done the stuff north of Loop 12 or at Goat Island just because of the parking.

It's close and it's free. I'm sure refidnasb could take folks out, or if you don't mind my pace, I can take folks out to the I20 trail. There's also a 250 acre city park nearby that's got some wooded areas with trails. Some of the local rotc kids go out there orienteering every year. It's not too far to make the loop, I've done it in 45 minutes on my lunch break, but I've never walked the whole thing either. Again concealed handguns only. And yes, you'll want one.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:41:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Goat Island Preserve in Southeast Dallas County is an excellent remote place to hike on soft surface dirt trails. I usually can get in almost 8 miles of hiking out there without retracing my route. The county does have a "no weapons" rule and sign out there but I am not sure what that means exactly. Usually when I see someone out there with a firearm they are up to no good which is likely why the sign is in place. It's in unincorporated Dallas County and all on public land.

Terrain is pretty flat and also is maintained by a local mountain bike club DORBA. Rarely see anyone mountain biking out there or even out there period. Sometimes see the trail steward out there he drives a red Toyota Tacoma.

I always park at the trailhead parking lot on Post Oak Road and I feel pretty safe leaving my vehicle there.

Another good remote hiking spot is Rochester Park in Dallas at the end of Bexar Street next to Bonton Farms. The land beyond the levee is owned by Dallas Parks and Recreation with a couple of trails that are not maintained. Better for cross country navigation through the woods. I often choose the mouth of White Rock Creek as a good goal and work my way down there and back using the creek or the Trinity River as reference points. Not sure on laws regarding open carry here either. Parking in the cul-de-sac of Bexar at the very south end of the street there is safe during daylight hours when Bonton Farms is open. I usually can get in five or six miles here, no formal trails for the most part so it's all cross country in bottomland hardwood forest.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 6:28:06 PM EDT
[#38]
It would be really cool if there was public  land were weapons were OK
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 6:44:46 PM EDT
[#39]
I like to hike and I like guns but too bad I'm far away from everything.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 6:58:38 PM EDT
[#40]
I'll get in on this.

I'm just south west of downtown Dallas, Oak Cliff to be exact.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 8:05:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
It would be really cool if there was public  land were weapons were OK
View Quote
What are the laws in National Forests?  I know they have public shooting ranges, but IDK about general carry.

They're mostly East TX anyway, but may be an option.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 10:29:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Sounds good.  Timing is hard for me, toddler in the house and a busy wife.  I’m working out at night after kiddo goes to bed, and prioritize matches during the weekend if/when I can.  But I’m trying to stay plugged in.  Virginia showed us the value of a good network.  I’ve done some of that with competition shooting, Cola Warrior, etc but more is always better.
View Quote
There might be a place in between Waco and Dallas where we could all meet up
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 11:12:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Dinosaur valley has a lot of trails...but no rifles.... LTC's are fine.

Unless someone knows someone who owns a shit ton of private land somewhere.

There is Lone Star Armory's training facility down between Glenrose and Kopperl. Not sure if they'd be keen on letting us do something there at their facility.

Lone Star Armory Training Facility
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 11:20:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
On that note there are competitions at Tiger Valley teams can sign up for that would seem to be right up our alley.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 11:25:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

On that note there are competitions at Tiger Valley teams can sign up for that would seem to be right up our alley.
View Quote
They got a two man sniper match coming up soon. There's... Oh hell this would be perfect,

8 mile hump/ match

ETA: tiger valley has a club match on the 15th of Feb and the team sniper match is on April 4-5
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 11:53:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Im interested. Denton County. My schedule is pretty rough but I'll watch the thread and see if I can be a part of this.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 1:14:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

There is Lone Star Armory's training facility down between Glenrose and Kopperl. Not sure if they'd be keen on letting us do something there at their facility.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have shot several matches out there, it's set up as more of a range and training grounds than anything.

It couldn't hurt to ask, but I know they are all at Shot Show now.

I can almost guarantee that they won't let us go unsupervised, but I'm sure we can talk them into a small group long range/precision class.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 6:14:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

They got a two man sniper match coming up soon. There's... Oh hell this would be perfect,

8 mile hump/ match

ETA: tiger valley has a club match on the 15th of Feb and the team sniper match is on April 4-5
View Quote
Club match on the 15th you say??

I'm going to try to show up for that.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 9:20:39 AM EDT
[#49]
N/W Tarrant Co.  Eagle Mt Park has good trails.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 9:25:44 AM EDT
[#50]
I can provide a some private land to hike on.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top