Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2013 5:59:40 PM EDT
Any feedback on Ables? They have some really good prices on safes even with shipping. Are they good to go?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/12/2013 8:21:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I too, would like to know.

Or for some suggestions between Brenham and Houston.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:18:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought ammo from them when I lived in Huntsville. Pretty good people. I'd be confident ordering from them. I didn't buy guns there because there was a pawn shop in town that dealt in new and used guns and were always cheaper. This was about five years ago so ymmv.....
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 5:30:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I have bought firearms from them in the past and would consider doing so again in the future, no problems.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 5:46:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have bought firearms from them in the past and would consider doing so again in the future, no problems.

+1

Same here.

Link Posted: 3/13/2013 5:53:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 12:44:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought from them a few times while I was in college.

They are a small shop with not a lot of inventory. But every once in a while you will price shop stuff online across the whole nation and for some reason they will have the best prices anywhere....

And I have absolutely no idea how they do that, but they're legit and so are their prices.

If you ever actually go in there, they're located off a tiny side street and the building they're in is Able Glass.

It looks like the owner ran a glass shop putting windows in cars and houses and stuff and basically was into guns and hunting and stuff so he got his FFL and started a small gun store side business in the back corner of the glass shop. When you go in there the actual store is basically in the back corner/side of the glass shop and its about the size of my bedroom.  They dont have much inventory, and I think they drop shop items you order from the manufacturer direct to you. That may keep their overhead down since they never actually lay hands on the product, and their shipping times might not be the absolute fastest, but they frequently can get you stuff for stupid dirt cheap.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 1:12:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I bought from them a few times while I was in college.

They are a small shop with not a lot of inventory. But every once in a while you will price shop stuff online across the whole nation and for some reason they will have the best prices anywhere....

And I have absolutely no idea how they do that, but they're legit and so are their prices.

If you ever actually go in there, they're located off a tiny side street and the building they're in is Able Glass.

It looks like the owner ran a glass shop putting windows in cars and houses and stuff and basically was into guns and hunting and stuff so he got his FFL and started a small gun store side business in the back corner of the glass shop. When you go in there the actual store is basically in the back corner/side of the glass shop and its about the size of my bedroom.  They dont have much inventory, and I think they drop shop items you order from the manufacturer direct to you. That may keep their overhead down since they never actually lay hands on the product, and their shipping times might not be the absolute fastest, but they frequently can get you stuff for stupid dirt cheap.

I think they have switched shops since.  I went in there a few months ago, and they have a nice sales floor with lots of safes and I think a range behind the shop.  They have been great to deal with the few times I have talked and shopped with them.

Nick
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 1:56:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, I was in the retail store a few weeks back and it is several thousand square feet in a metal building with stained concrete floors.  They have long gun racks on two sides behind glass cases with pistol and other accessories.  They have gun safes on the floor to inspect and a decent amount of reloading on the back wall.  They also had some ammo by the case  as well as mags, decoys, and accessories on hooks in the middle of the show room.  They do have a range out back as mentioned.  Employees there have always been very helpful and in store prices are fair.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 2:52:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yes, I was in the retail store a few weeks back and it is several thousand square feet in a metal building with stained concrete floors.  They have long gun racks on two sides behind glass cases with pistol and other accessories.  They have gun safes on the floor to inspect and a decent amount of reloading on the back wall.  They also had some ammo by the case  as well as mags, decoys, and accessories on hooks in the middle of the show room.  They do have a range out back as mentioned.  Employees there have always been very helpful and in store prices are fair.

Wow!

Well then, I guess their original business model worked well for them.

They started really small and I wasn't sure if they ever wanted to get big or if it was just a side business/hobby of the owner.

Its good to hear that they're doing good business and profiting from serving their customers well.

I have been wanting to go up to Sam Houston some time and shoot with LAE, the criminal justice fraternity that I used to be in. I might have to stop by Able's new place while I'm up there.

I do know that Huntsville really needed a new range. Everybody use to use the public ranges at the national forests until the forest service or the government or whoever shut it down and left everybody hurting.

You could go out to Shooter Center and use their small expensive indoor pistol range, or to the Gun Emporium and use their pistol and rifle range out to 200, which was admittedly a nice place with good staff. But you couldn't do any work from the holster and it was all static firing...
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 4:18:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Bought two from them in the past, always helpful and had excellent customer service. Would recommend . +1
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 2:13:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes, their safe deals are legit. I found their ads on craigslist and stopped into their Conroe location last Wednesday. Ended up buying a Winchester Big Daddy safe from Geoff. This safe is normally $1800+ online. I paid less than that, including taxes, delivery, installation, and a dehumidifier. I had a lot of questions and they were very patient with me. Great service. I tried to tip the installers and they wouldn't accept it. Asked me to spend my tip money at their store instead. Will definitely do business with them again.
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 10:09:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Bought a safe from them shipped from the factory. No problems at all with the transaction.

Bought a couple of guns from them shipped to an FFL here. Again no problems.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 11:12:38 AM EDT
[#13]
I go to Ables twice a week good place and good people.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top