Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2013 12:23:13 PM EDT
I'm looking at moving to the Austin area later this year, I was wondering if there were any areas either within the city proper or in the surrounding areas to look at closely or to avoid.  I will be renting at least at first, if I like the area and decide to stay I may buy a place a couple years down the road.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 12:37:17 PM EDT
[#1]
where are you going to be working.  austin isn't that big of a city but traffic can be really bad.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 12:40:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
where are you going to be working.  austin isn't that big of a city but traffic can be really bad.

Traffic sucks period.  

East side as always is the crap side.

stick to north Austin and you'll be fine and short of Round Rock.  Think of Round Rock like Eagan or Eden Prairie...

west side of Austin is higher priced as you're going into the hill country.

Not sure about the southside, I live on the north end after I left Ft. Hood many many years ago, but that's my $0.02 on it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 1:11:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Just avoid Austin, I bought in Round Rock due to we have the right people (close to it Sheriff Wlison)  running the show up here.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 2:08:08 PM EDT
[#4]
North of Austin (Cedar Park, Leander, Pflugerville, etc.) is generally good.  I would avoid living in the Austin city limits or ETJ because of the retarded laws the city council passes.  

BTW- Welcome to Texas in advance, but please leave any liberal / commie views behind.  Thanks
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 2:39:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
North of Austin (Cedar Park, Leander, Pflugerville, etc.) is generally good.  I would avoid living in the Austin city limits or ETJ because of the retarded laws the city council passes.  

BTW- Welcome to Texas in advance, but please leave any liberal / commie views behind.  Thanks

Thank you. that's exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

No problem on this end, I have never voted for a dem or green party candidate.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 2:56:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What part of Minny are you coming from?
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 3:11:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

St. Paul, born and raised.  A combination of the political climate, the regular climate, and various personal factors have convinced me that a fresh start in a new state will be a very good thing for me.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 3:39:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

St. Paul, born and raised.  A combination of the political climate, the regular climate, and various personal factors have convinced me that a fresh start in a new state will be a very good thing for me.

Born and raised in central MN.  Thanks to uncle sam I found God's country.  You'll never want to leave this place.  Once you take the blood oath and swear allegiance to The Republic of Texas, you'll be in.   LOL

(kidding...maybe)
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 6:13:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

P'ville is a shit hole!  And getting worse every second.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 6:54:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

what parts are you talking about?  the newer developments north of 45 are pretty decent.  (falcon pointe, blackhawk, etc...)

old pflugerville has it's problem areas.  especially the apt complex that took in a bunch of katrina refugees and went section 8.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 8:56:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Round Rock, Georgetown are where I'd look. I'm in north Austin, but Williamson county is much preferrable to Travis. But really a lot depends on where you're going to be working. North or even central Austin, RR or Georgetown. South or west Austin, maybe Kyle / Buda, those are in Hays county, again preferrable to Travis.

Did you know that in 2 weeks most retailers in the city of Austin will be forbidden to provide grocery bags? Yeah, the hippie libs that comprise the city council have outlawed bags effective March 1. So bring your own bags from home or maybe just make a basket out of the front of your shirt.

Plastic bags are pollution and paper bags murder trees. So no bags.

Welcome to Austin!
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 1:07:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Round Rock, Georgetown are where I'd look. I'm in north Austin, but Williamson county is much preferrable to Travis. But really a lot depends on where you're going to be working. North or even central Austin, RR or Georgetown. South or west Austin, maybe Kyle / Buda, those are in Hays county, again preferrable to Travis.

Did you know that in 2 weeks most retailers in the city of Austin will be forbidden to provide grocery bags? Yeah, the hippie libs that comprise the city council have outlawed bags effective March 1. So bring your own bags from home or maybe just make a basket out of the front of your shirt.

Welcome to Austin!

<<<<<<<<<<< Lives in Round Rock also.  It's a good place to live.  That being said, I'm not 20 anymore either.

Taxes in Travis Co are crazy.

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 1:32:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Too many liberals, faggots and hippies in Austin. It's quite sad too, because Austin has good food, good beer, a pretty swingin' nightlife, and hotties galore. But still, I wouldn't live there, and I'm a fifth generation Texan.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 3:37:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Theres no way I would pay Capital city taxes in TX unfortunately, for all the reasons stated. Though BUDA and KYLE is an option in my book.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:31:51 AM EDT
[#15]
It really depends on 2 things:
1.  Where your job is located?
2.  What you want to do on nights/weekends?

If you are done with the party lifestyle and your job is NOT south of the river, then Round Rock and Cedar Park are great.  

If you want to go out drinking every weekend and pickup chicks then I would suggest renting downtown for a year.  

If you are say around 30 and go out occasionally and your job is NOT south of the river, then check out the Riatta Trace Apts in North Austin.  Very fun place for professionals.  Great pools, nice scenary around the pools and fitness center, and they have a shuttle downtown once a month for going out.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 7:53:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I've lived on the outskirts of the PVille area for around 12 years now and never had much problems.  My area really isn't any different than most of Round Rock, etc...  except being in Travis County instead of Wilco.  As some have said there are a few run down areas, mostly parts that were there prior to the 1990s, but almost all the rest of PVille is new development since 2000.  What specifically are you talking about as far as problems go?  Maybe I'm just not seeing it?
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 8:01:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Welcome to Austin!

You know the stupid part of that ban?  According to the research I've seen almost no re-usable bags last long enough and get re-used enough times to make sense either economically or environmentally.  Yes, that's right...  Plastic and paper bags may be bad for the environment...  but the re-usable bags are WORSE.

That's the problem with libtard thinking...  they've got to "DO SOMETHING!!!!!" -- even if it is the absolute WRONG thing.  Nobody wants to just intentionally $#!+ on the environment...  but calmer heads would say that knowing all the facts and looking at the big picture first is the way to make intelligent decisions...  and not just emotional knee-jerk reactions ---  "FOR THE CHILDRENNNNNNN!!!!".

Same reasons that libtards are full-on stupid when it comes to gun control and a lot of other issues.

All that said, the bag ban will only affect the city limits of Austin...  so other parts of Travis County like Pflugerville won't have the ban unless they decide to be stupid and follow Austin's lead.  And obviously not Wilco, Hayes or Bastrop counties either.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 8:38:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Like other posters have mentioned, Austin traffic sucks, so if you can move fairly close to your work location, that's best.  I live in north Austin and drive downtown for work, 14 miles door to door, and on a good day it takes me 30 minutes.  On a bad day it can take an hour, and that's each way.

Good luck on the move, and welcome to Texas!
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 10:59:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Almost everyone is recommending North Austin or the suburbs up there. Depends on you job location, but I will say South Austin, closer to Buda/Kyle or even San Marcos will be a good place to live. I lived in N Austin for a year and I did not really like it. The I moved South for my current job and it seems more relaxed down here belong the River.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 12:29:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Almost everyone is recommending North Austin or the suburbs up there. Depends on you job location, but I will say South Austin, closer to Buda/Kyle or even San Marcos will be a good place to live. I lived in N Austin for a year and I did not really like it. The I moved South for my current job and it seems more relaxed down here belong the River.

+1 here. Buda and Kyle are great. They are much smaller towns then Round Rock and the others up north. Far less crowded then those areas. They still have that small town appeal. I think that properties are likely less expensive in the Buda/Kyle area as well. Manachaca would be good too if you want to be just a little closer to Austin but you will then be in Travis county.

If you commute to work and you work South, live South. If you work North, live North. The river or the downtown area divide what is considered North and South Austin.

If you can at all help it DO NOT live and work on opposites sides of town. This applies to the East-West direction as well as North-South. A regular commute across town during rush hour will have you grinding your teeth down to nubs in a month.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 12:35:33 PM EDT
[#21]

to answer your question:

North = North of 183/Mopac - Good place to live, cheap, long commute downtown

Northwest = Best schools, lowest taxes, lowest housing/rental prices, long dtown commute

Central = Only live here if you plan on living in a small house with 5 other people and go to UT, otherwise expect to pay A LOT for a little. Crime is not the best here, but not the worst

East = Anywhere east of IH-35, has poor schools, poor development, cheap housing, cheap property taxes, high crime, high density of blacks and mexicans, low density of whites, high density of police

North East or South East = past 290, south of IH-35, pretty much the same as east austin, but just looks nicer because it has been recently developed. dont be fooled.

South West = South west austin is west of mopac, south of ladybird lake. this is where the real austin money resides in a place called westlake. great school, low crime, high density of white people, low density of blacks and mexicans, very expensive area to live but very nice and pretty

West = anything along hw 620 pretty much. great schools, pretty views, can find cheap places to live as well as extremely nice, traffic gets awkward here if you don't know shortcuts, crime is low, mainly white poplace here

Link Posted: 2/14/2013 8:34:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If you are done with the party lifestyle and your job is NOT south of the river, then Round Rock and Cedar Park are great.  

If you want to go out drinking every weekend and pickup chicks then I would suggest renting downtown for a year.  

If you are say around 30 and go out occasionally and your job is NOT south of the river, then check out the Riatta Trace Apts in North Austin.  Very fun place for professionals.  Great pools, nice scenary around the pools and fitness center, and they have a shuttle downtown once a month for going out.  

Does Jerry Jones still own the Riata Trace Apts.? He did when they were first built. Only reason I ask, and you jogged my memory, knew somone who lived there and Jerry would set up party buses, discounted tickets, etc. to Cowboy games.

The man doesn't know jack-shit about running a football team, but he knows how to put butts in seats.. lol
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 10:39:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I live in Northwest Austin and enjoy the area.  Fairly good access to both north and south without having to spend much time on I-35, better scenery and a lot less homeless people and hipsters.

The Austin bag ban is retarded but they can still sell you those green reuseable  hippie bags for a buck or two....and nobody says you have to reuse them...thats my plan anyway.  Since nobody recycles the heavier "reusable" whatever they are made of bags I guess they have a destiny with the landfill.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 4:43:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does Jerry Jones still own the Riata Trace Apts.? He did when they were first built. Only reason I ask, and you jogged my memory, knew somone who lived there and Jerry would set up party buses, discounted tickets, etc. to Cowboy games.

The man doesn't know jack-shit about running a football team, but he knows how to put butts in seats.. lol

He doesn't own it anymore but I've heard some crazy stories from back in those days!  I think they are now on their 3rd owner.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 12:33:30 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd skip Austin, Houston, and Dallas entirely, too many liberals.  Austin's a fun place to visit, though.

Welcome to Texas!
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 1:28:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Surprising number of gun-toting conservatives in Lakeway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top