Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2012 9:21:21 AM EDT
My Women Face and I are planning a move to Texas in the next few months. We have settled on Montgomery County or there about. Can anybody who lives there or has lived there tell me about the area? There is only so much a person can learn from a map and statistics.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 2:07:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Good choice. Insurance rates are lower there. Conroe, the Woodlands, tomball, Pinehurst and magnolia are good places to reside. Though Tomball is in harris county. There are high end areas in the woodlands and low key.country arras abound. Lots of wildlife and frienfly people. When you get here email at [email protected] and I can point out things for you.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 6:57:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Let me add:

I am 5 miles North of Tomball, just over the Montgomery County line and do transfers and AR work and sell AR stuff.

Tomball Pawn and Guns has great pricing on new and used guns. They sell a LOT of new stuff for a pawn shop and are good people.

Pecos Grilling Company  in Tomball has great food and a good bar with a a pro-gun clientele.

Many great restaurants in the area, again, I'll let you know if you just ask.

Magnolia Hunting Supply about a mile from my house has one of my Mason brothers teaching CHL and is a good AR smith too.

Not far from "The Impact Zone" "Shiloh Range" "Hot Wells Shooting Range" "Spring Guns and Ammo" ...unfortunately Tomball Gun Club is HARD to get into as a member...

I test shoot a few rounds on my property now and then, but nothing major.

Where are you locating in Montgomery County?
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 11:32:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for the info. A good AR supply close by is greatly appreciated. I'm not sure what part of the area yet. Do you know of any good resources for house rental listings? I did a search and didn't find much. I'll get in touch with you when I get there. Someone to show us around would be great.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:02:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Based on all the new apartments in construction on FM-1488, rentals might be hard to find.

When I moved here in 1999, rentals in The Woodlands were in demand and priced accordingly.   Contact a local realtor.  They usually have a few properties where the owners are willing to rent on a one year lease basis.

When you get here, check some of the local supermarkets for flyers on rentals.  My local Randall's (FM-1488 and Hwy 242) has several racks of "freebie" magazines and one of those is listings of rentals in the Houston/Conroe area.

Due to traffic, your choice of location may dictate on where you plan on working.

There are two indoor public ranges inside the Conroe city limits and an outdoor range just east of The Woodlands.  None of them allow rapid fire or using a holster, but they do host several competitions for IDPA.  Found out recently that the outdoor range (Thunder) has an IDPA 3 Gun match monthly.

What (if any) is your poison?  USPSA, IDPA, GSSC, trap, skeet, sporting clays?

Bill

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 9:29:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My Women Face and I are planning a move to Texas in the next few months. We have settled on Montgomery County or there about. Can anybody who lives there or has lived there tell me about the area? There is only so much a person can learn from a map and statistics.

My in-laws live in Shenandoah (FIL/MIL) and Chateau Woods (BIL).  It is a pretty nice area.  Shenandoah more so than Chateau Woods which is cheaper and more spotty.  Most of both of those are older and less expensive, but they both also have some new construction going on.  I think either of them are slightly less expensive than The Woodlands.  Another burb to look at up there is Oak Ridge.  Stay out of Tamina, it is kinda craptastic.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:49:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Try this tool for searching rental property:

Adjust the map (zoom or drag) to show the general area you want to look at, then select your criteria (lease, min-max/month, etc) and then click the "draw area" button to draw a polygon around your search area.  If you 'right-click' on your final point that closes the shape and shows the search.

http://www.har.com/mapsearch/

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 10:55:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll check out those areas and look into realtors. I don't shoot competitions. I have considered doing it, but never get to it. Maybe one of these days. I shoot to retain skills and to hunt dangerous game. I'm looking forward to boar hunting when I get there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top