Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2012 4:47:03 PM EDT
Alright guys, I received a promotion and will be relocating to the Houston area around the first of the year. Looked at houses and condos in the Kemah area per my bosses recommendation.

Anybody familiar with the area and can give me the rundown?

Alex
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 5:10:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Many parts of Kemah flooded in Hurricane Ike. You should check out FEMA's flood zones - a little north of there in Clear Lake, and west into Friendswood didn't flood. I liked Clear Lake, we lived there for 6 years.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 5:15:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Many parts of Kemah flooded in Hurricane Ike. You should check out FEMA's flood zones - a little north of there in Clear Lake, and west into Friendswood didn't flood. I liked Clear Lake, we lived there for 6 years.

Thanks for the advice. I was a little concerned with it being so close to the water.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 5:47:42 PM EDT
[#3]
We live in League City, in the South Shore Harbor area (about one mile from the western edge of Kemah). We did fine here during Ike. Most of the flooding in my neighborhood was from rain and not storm surge. Take a look at the Harbor Park subdivision (that's where I live). Several homes for sale in this area right now.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 5:55:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I also live in League City (west of 45) and had no issues during Ike, Kemah is only a 12 minute drive from home in fact my wife and I just got back from dinner down there.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 6:28:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Will you be working in the Kemah area?
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 4:27:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Check out Friendswood. Good school district & PSC gun range. Edit to say PSC, thanks
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 4:36:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Check out Friendswood. Good school district & PSA gun range.

PSC gun range
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 5:28:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Anywhere west of 146 is good, make sure you have flood insurance anyways. I live in Seabrook. Great area with very good schools. I am a member of PSC. Tought to get a memebership right now, but let us know and we can take you as a guest. Good restaurants. Love living here. You can't go wrong.

gerritm
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 8:12:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I lived in Kemah for almost 10 years (in Kemah Oaks).  Our neighborhood didn't flood during Ike.  The streets filled, but the house was fine.  Lot's of the restaurants got hit hard, though.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 10:52:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We live in League City, in the South Shore Harbor area (about one mile from the western edge of Kemah). We did fine here during Ike. Most of the flooding in my neighborhood was from rain and not storm surge. Take a look at the Harbor Park subdivision (that's where I live). Several homes for sale in this area right now.

Will do. I should be down in about a month or so.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 10:54:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Anywhere west of 146 is good, make sure you have flood insurance anyways. I live in Seabrook. Great area with very good schools. I am a member of PSC. Tought to get a memebership right now, but let us know and we can take you as a guest. Good restaurants. Love living here. You can't go wrong.

gerritm

It took me a year on the list to get into a private range here. Definitely not looking forward to another wait.

Was looking at the Seabrook area also. I have to decide soon if I'd like a house or condo.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 11:04:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Will you be working in the Kemah area?

I'll be working off of 225 near Red Bluff.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 11:59:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Easy ride from anywhere around 146, That is why we moved into this area. Can avoid 45. Seabrook,El Lago, Kemah area. A little harder if you get west around 45. PM me when you get here to go to PSC range. Nothing else like it around. Do you shoot 3-gun or USPSA? Can show you where the matches are if you are interested.

Gerrit
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 4:23:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I was just in clearlake.  Nice area, but traffic HELL.  

Friendswood is nice according to a guy i know that works at NASA.

Link Posted: 11/10/2012 4:54:50 AM EDT
[#15]
I live in Seabrook also and love the Clear Lake area.  My neighborhood had very little damage from Ike.
If you are going to work in the 225 area, I would not live in Kemah.  The Kemah bridge is a bottleneck on 146, and I would not want to deal with it on a daily basis.  Traffic on 146 in Seabrook can be bad, but if you live in Seabrook, there are routes in the city that would allow you to go around much of the traffic.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 7:47:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I also live in seabrook my whole life, my parents own a gun store here, I love it here and wouldn't live anywhere else...feel free to hit me up if you have questions
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 6:49:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I also live in seabrook my whole life, my parents own a gun store here, I love it here and wouldn't live anywhere else...feel free to hit me up if you have questions

What gun store?

gerritm
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 4:41:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Marburgers
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 6:02:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks guys and sounds like Seabrook could be a winner. When I find a place I'll update and maybe a few of us can go shoot then grab a beer or something.
Link Posted: 11/13/2012 6:30:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thanks guys and sounds like Seabrook could be a winner. When I find a place I'll update and maybe a few of us can go shoot then grab a beer or something.

Sweet
Link Posted: 11/14/2012 5:21:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Sounds good, let us know when you get settled.

gerritm

Link Posted: 12/25/2012 4:47:58 PM EDT
[#22]
I've been looking at houses online and have found a few that I've really liked. Unfortunately, I won't be down for another two weeks to look at them. I've called the listing agent on one that I really liked and couldn't believe when she told me the taxes were 6k a year.

The home was listed in $230's and wanted to ask you if this was normal for the area? The house is located on the far east side of League City near Kemah, and on Shoal Point Dr.

Thanks for the help.

Alex
Link Posted: 12/25/2012 5:21:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Yep taxs in this area can be very high.     The lowest I have seen are 2.5% with the high being 4.1%    So thats any where from 5K to over 8K on a 200K home.

Also dont forget to ask about HOA fee's, they can be as low as 150 per year up to 1,500 per year.

www.HAR.com is a good place to see the MLS listing and the show the taxs and HOA fee for each listing.

I own land in Kemah but I would not live there.
Link Posted: 12/25/2012 5:38:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yep taxs in this area can be very high.     The lowest I have seen are 2.5% with the high being 4.1%    So thats any where from 5K to over 8K on a 200K home.

Also dont forget to ask about HOA fee's, they can be as low as 150 per year up to 1,500 per year.

www.HAR.com is a good place to see the MLS listing and the show the taxs and HOA fee for each listing.

I own land in Kemah but I would not live there.

If I may ask; why wouldn't you live there?
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 10:23:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Marburgers is always friendly and good customer service.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:07:51 AM EDT
[#26]
People saying Friendswood doesn't flood are forgetting Allison.  I was married at the time and we lost our house due to flooding.  We lived right on Mary's Creek.

Also, the traffic on 45 is horrific.  it's one of the reasons I didn't stay in Friendswood.  Kemah will have similar traffic on 45.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:13:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
People saying Friendswood doesn't flood are forgetting Allison.  I was married at the time and we lost our house due to flooding.  We lived right on Mary's Creek.

What was that - Emerald Estates or something like that? One of my coworkers lived in there. Had 5' of water in his living room. I helped him knock the drywall out afterwards. They didn't rebuild.

I live in Clear Lake. No problems with Allison, and didn't lose power for Ike. One of the lucky ones I guess.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 2:01:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Also, the traffic on 45 is horrific.  it's one of the reasons I didn't stay in Friendswood.  Kemah will have similar traffic on 45.

I'll bet that house flooded during Claudette in '79 too. Mine did.

That little area had the nation wide record for National Flood Insurance Payouts for a while.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 3:11:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Marburgers is always friendly and good customer service.

First place I head when looking for a new firearm.  Great people to buy from...

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 4:23:15 PM EDT
[#30]
I lived off Kirby between Red Bluff and Nasa RD 1 for a few years, ~ 5 mins from Kema proper.  Very nice area to live in.  We were actually in the city of Pasadena.  

Be sure to grab lunch at T-Bone Toms there in Kema and get the grilled pork chop, it is my favorite.  

Welcome to Texas.

HK Ag
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Yep, prop taxes are $$ but the offset is no state income tax.  They will get their $ one way or the other, though...  

Welcome to TX!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top