Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2011 9:55:32 PM EDT
I have been trying to find more Texan made guns, and am having trouble. I know they are out there, but why cant I find them. I know about Larue, and I love their stuff. Thats exactly what Im looking for, a company who makes their stuff in house. Not just customizes finished products.

Can you guys help me out? Im looking for anything, from shotguns, pistols, rifles, ARs, everything. Thanks in advanced
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 11:59:22 PM EDT
[#1]
LaRue and Primary Arms are the only ones I can think of!
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 3:24:09 AM EDT
[#2]
STI
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 3:24:25 AM EDT
[#3]
STI (Georgetown), SVI Infinity(Grand Prairie)

Mossberg is not exclusive to Texas, but they make some here.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 4:18:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 4:26:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 6:05:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 7:14:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have been trying to find more Texan made guns, and am having trouble. I know they are out there, but why cant I find them. I know about Larue, and I love their stuff. Thats exactly what Im looking for, a company who makes their stuff in house. Not just customizes finished products.

Can you guys help me out? Im looking for anything, from shotguns, pistols, rifles, ARs, everything. Thanks in advanced

STI up in Georgetown pretty much makes most of their 1911s and SAAs.

http://www.stiguns.com/

What about companies that make only certain parts in house?  There are several of those around here including Chip McCormick, Bassett Tool & Machine, etc.

That's here in central Texas...  over in Houston there is High Standard, although I don't know how much they make in house or whether they are mainly an assembler.

http://www.highstandard.com/

Used to be American Derringer up in Waco...  but it is my understanding they are mostly out of business now.

http://www.amderringer.com/
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 9:34:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Sorry, should have posted I know about STI. High Standard doesnt really make their own stuff. They import the 1911s, and get the AR15 stuff from suppliers, who I dont know. Atleast, thats what I was told about High Standard.

And holy shit, I did not know Infinity was made in Texas.

Primary Arms is just a parts supplier it looks like, but still good to know they are around. Pearland is the other side of Houston for me, so a bit of a trip for parts but worth it if they have better stuff and deals than SOG Armory.

Anyone who makes their own AR15s like Larue, or are they alone? Im looking for MFGs, not suppliers or anything. Thanks alot guys, getting lots of good info here. Its for my nephews project at school. Some class for politics and I talked him into doing a report on the 2nd Amendment and we are looking for Texas MFGs and all sorts of stuff. Keep it coming if there is anything else. Thanks again
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 11:58:55 AM EDT
[#9]
S.O.G.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 12:19:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Top quility manufactures that I know of are LaRue, STI, and SVI. I know both LaRue and STI have the state of Texas engraved on their firearms.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 12:44:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I think Maverick make some shotguns in Eagle Pass.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 12:56:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Red River Tactical
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 1:10:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Does SOG actually make anything?

ETA - And I don't know what they might be making now, but I believe Elk River is the Houston based successor to Armory USA.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 2:42:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Does a LaRue count as a Texas made gun since right on the receiver it says Oregon.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 2:51:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does a LaRue count as a Texas made gun since right on the receiver it says Oregon.

Not sure where the receivers are made, but LaRue has substantial manufacturing capacity in Leander. ATF has rules about Mfg location, so hard to tell.

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 3:00:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Model 1 stuff is assembled in Texas.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 3:09:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No longer reads "Oregon".  Made in the..."Dead Center of Texas"!

Link Posted: 9/24/2011 5:17:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Lone Star Armory in Fort Worth. Andrew Brady machines recievers. Lonestararmory.net
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 8:19:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
S.O.G.

I'm not sure if these are "made" in Texas. I bought an upper at a gun show with 'S.O.G Armory' markings, but then I couldn't find any info about the products on the website. The parts seem like good quality, and functionality and accuracy are excellent.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 10:33:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 11:55:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Lone Star Armory in Fort Worth. Andrew Brady machines recievers. Lonestararmory.net

Plus 1. Andrew is really nice guy very helpful.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 3:46:15 AM EDT
[#22]
New AR company is starting up in Leander, it's Scorpion firearms. Check with Mooney's as Tom is one of the distributors.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 8:08:40 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Earlier receivers were made by SMOS in Oregon. Now they say Leander, Texas. Not sure if they are really made in Texas or not as ATF will grant a variance to have your name put on them even if made elsewhere. Best to ask ML and see where they are actually made.

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 8:48:52 AM EDT
[#24]
There's also Mike's Guns in Aransas Pass:

http://www.jetsuppressors.com/rifles.html
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 10:07:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Sorry, should have posted I know about STI. High Standard doesnt really make their own stuff. They import the 1911s, and get the AR15 stuff from suppliers, who I dont know. Atleast, thats what I was told about High Standard.

Primary Arms is just a parts supplier it looks like, but still good to know they are around. Pearland is the other side of Houston for me, so a bit of a trip for parts but worth it if they have better stuff and deals than SOG Armory.

Anyone who makes their own AR15s like Larue, or are they alone? Im looking for MFGs, not suppliers or anything. Thanks alot guys, getting lots of good info here. Its for my nephews project at school. Some class for politics and I talked him into doing a report on the 2nd Amendment and we are looking for Texas MFGs and all sorts of stuff. Keep it coming if there is anything else. Thanks again

You are right, Primary Arms is mainly accessories, not weapons themselves. Also IIRC a lot of the Primary Arms branded stuff is manufactured in China (*see disclaimer). Not knocking Marshal or PA (I love the red dot and 3x I got from them),  just throwing that out there given the original question.

* I can not say for sure that all of it is, but the 2 items I bought from him about 2 years ago were.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 10:19:06 AM EDT
[#26]
SOG's receivers are made by JD Machine in San Diego. They have them marked "Made in Houston" even though its a total lie. They just use parts to piece "thier" rifles together.

Thanks again for all the info guys, lots of good stuff here.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 1:16:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Do pen and zip guns made in (big) house in TDC count?
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 5:05:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Earlier receivers were made by SMOS in Oregon. Now they say Leander, Texas. Not sure if they are really made in Texas or not as ATF will grant a variance to have your name put on them even if made elsewhere. Best to ask ML and see where they are actually made.

I have one receiver stamped SMOS and one stamped Leander but I think they are sub-contracted out but the the complete rifles are put together in Leander.
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 7:00:27 PM EDT
[#29]
just a few which come to mind in two minutes...

Stiller Precision

Thoroughbred Rifles

Texas Brigade Armory

Shark Suppressors

Atwell Tactical

Ident Marking Services

Hipes Consulting Services, LLC
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 7:02:08 PM EDT
[#30]
just remembered my good friends at Superior Shooting Systems and Alamo Four Star
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 7:05:43 PM EDT
[#31]
S&S Precision (formelry SG&Y Rifles, a la Speedy Gonzales)

Link Posted: 9/26/2011 9:15:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Cimarron Arms.   (Fredericksburg)
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 1:13:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
New AR company is starting up in Leander, it's Scorpion firearms. Check with Mooney's as Tom is one of the distributors.

true
Tom has been influential in helping them tailor their "rifle packages"
appears they build their own uppers/lowers and assemble with other quality parts (sites, lpk's, forearms, etc)
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 6:28:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 9:12:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#36]
How about ammo?

Texas Ammo
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:35:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one makes their own stuff. Not Colt, Armalite, Rock River, Bushmaster, Larue or any of the other mfgs. They buy receivers and barrels and parts from the mfgs that actually make those items and assemble their weapons in house.

Armalite makes almost all of their stuff in house. They have Aero Precision forge the receivers from Armalite molds, and Armalite machines them in house. I believe Armalite makes everything in house except the stocks, handguards, and barrels. Everything else they make in house, on their on machines. They only have someone else do the forging of the receivers. Colt uses CMT I believe, who actually machines and finishes the receivers for Colt, and many others. I thought Larue did their own billets on their own machines?

I know many companies only piece their stuff together, but not all of them. Armalite is one of the few.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 3:27:24 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No one makes their own stuff. Not Colt, Armalite, Rock River, Bushmaster, Larue or any of the other mfgs. They buy receivers and barrels and parts from the mfgs that actually make those items and assemble their weapons in house.

This is not true about STI. I toured their facility and got to see guns being made from bar stock to finished products including the internals. They even have a section of the plant that makes their 2011 mags in house.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:26:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top