Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2011 1:57:38 PM EDT
Other than Banana Bay, is there another source for buying a case of MRE's in Austin?

If so, who has the best prices?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:24:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Just for price reference, I was in Banana Bay last Sunday and they had a lot of MRE cases in. 12 MRE's for $100.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:01:53 PM EDT
[#2]
For the life of me I cannot understand why people buy these things when a can of ravioli or pineapple at Wal-Mart is under a dollar and tastes better.

Hell, a case of Ramen is what, 4 bucks?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:47:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

For the life of me I cannot understand why people buy these things when a can of ravioli or pineapple at Wal-Mart is under a dollar and tastes better.

Hell, a case of Ramen is what, 4 bucks?

My point exactly.

I can only justify maybe a couple of cases of MRE's, for outings that will not allow cooking.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:23:24 PM EDT
[#4]
What is the best used by date on a case of MRE's verse the Walmart ravioli?  That answers the question why people stock MRE's for long term SHTF.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:54:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Online prices are probably better.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:02:07 PM EDT
[#6]
the outdoor/survival gear forum beats this to death; to each his own.

try Ace Hardware up on 183 N.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:31:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What is the best used by date on a case of MRE's verse the Walmart ravioli?  That answers the question why people stock MRE's for long term SHTF.

Current MRE shelf life is 5 years at best.

Okay, you spend $100 for 12 meals once  and I'm spend 10 bucks for 12 meals twice.

(My current ravioli survival stock is good till Jan 22, 2013)

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:32:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Our own slug64 has 2 cases for sale over in the EE
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:57:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Build your own at http://theepicenter.com/. I hate some of the menus in those prepackaged cases so this option let's me design my own meals. They also sell those hard to find items that taste much better than the civilian options.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:18:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Current MRE shelf life is 5 years at best.

Okay, you spend $100 for 12 meals once  and I'm spend 10 bucks for 12 meals twice.

(My current ravioli survival stock is good till Jan 22, 2013)

I've always been told that they were good for atleast 10, as long as they're stored in a cool, dry place. Maybe they lose a little flavor over 5.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:06:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Lets just say I have my own reasons for wanting to purchase MREs and leave it at that. Can we stay on topic here - If you want to start a thread regarding why anyone would buy MREs over ravioli in a can, or anything unrelated to where you can purchase MREs in Austin, please take it to GD.

I need these before the end of the week, so ordering/shipping probably isn't an option.

As for the topic - Banana Bay and Ace Hardware look to be the two places to pick up MRE's in Austin, anywhere else?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:38:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Would Mountain House work?  Just about every walmart, academy and Target has them in stock.

My reason for buying lots of MRE's is that my kid loves to go hiking and part of the fun is ripping open an mre meal packet four lunnch on the trail. That and warning it up with only water.  Lets see your ravioli do that ! ;)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top