Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2010 9:16:15 AM EDT
I would like to get a better understanding of what the people who live in Houston think of the hospitals.

It will help me to decide which ones are the best to apply at and where my focus should be primarily.

The people who work and know the area are the best!!!!! resource.

I am considering working in the Medical Corridor(????? is that the right term?????) Texas Medical Center or at an outlying hospital in the Friendswood/ClearLake area.  

If it would be easier I could make a poll but I really would like to know your stories if you have them.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 11:45:49 AM EDT
[#1]

It's the "Texas Medical Center" by the way.  A couple of miles southwest of downtown next to Hermann Park and the Museum District.  The single largest/greatest concentration of medical expertise in the world.  Ben Taub, Memorial Hermann, Texas Children's, Baylor COM, University of Texas HSC, etc. - all heavy hitters.
Pediatrics?  There is no finer pediatric hospital in the world than Texas Children's.  I may be biased (they saved my son's life) but it is true.

Oncology or Pathology?  MD Anderson.

You like overloaded ghetto emergency rooms?  LBJ on the North Loop.  
What's your focus?  That would help with advice.  What do you want to know?
-p.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 2:20:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

It's the "Texas Medical Center" by the way.  A couple of miles southwest of downtown next to Hermann Park and the Museum District.  The single largest/greatest concentration of medical expertise in the world.  Ben Taub, Memorial Hermann, Texas Children's, Baylor COM, University of Texas HSC, etc. - all heavy hitters.

Pediatrics?  There is no finer pediatric hospital in the world than Texas Children's.  I may be biased (they saved my son's life) but it is true.

Oncology or Pathology?  MD Anderson.

You like overloaded ghetto emergency rooms?  LBJ on the North Loop.  

What's your focus?  That would help with advice.  What do you want to know?

-p.

I am currently working on a tele cardiac step-down unit. Until they opened the new wing in September we saw about 40% cardiac sx pts, 30% IR, and the rest made up of patient's with afib, pacemakers (existing),CHF'ers and similar issues. We rarely see open hearts now. Probably only 10%? of our total patients.

I am unsure if this is a good thing or not but we have the highest # of codes on any floor in the 600 bed hospital.

I think that is where I will be  (would like to branch out into ICU or ED)  for now.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:18:35 AM EDT
[#3]

Well then.  Go for the gold.  Debakey Heart Center at Methodist.

-p.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 4:33:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Message sent.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:21:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Cardiac related, St. Lukes or Methodist most likely, Mem Herm also.  If you want to be in an ER w/ lots of trauma, Ben Taub.  Ben Taub and Hermann are level 1 hopsitals, and also Texas Childrens recently became a level 1 pediatric hospital.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 11:15:01 AM EDT
[#6]
All great advice and spot on!

I'm more than fond to Texas Children's Hospital, since they helped save my daughters life!

Medical field is doing VERY well in Houston.

Bonus points if you can speak Spanish!
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:45:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
All great advice and spot on!

I'm more than fond to Texas Children's Hospital, since they helped save my daughters life!

Medical field is doing VERY well in Houston.

Bonus points if you can speak Spanish!

I barely speak English and it is my native tongue.

I would however, love to learn. That sounds a bit harsher than I meant it too. Sorry gentlemen.

I will have to get used to the drive. I am spoiled living so close to work and still being in the country.

Are the satellite hospital's as good as the ones downtown or ????
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 2:55:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I live inside the loop off South Main. The area is going thru some changes for the better. Buy an older house & speculate on the property values going up. Mine is triple what I paid currently in this economy. I'm looking to get out once it's 5x what I paid.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:23:12 PM EDT
[#9]
The west side of Houston (Katy) opened a hospital out on west I-10 recently.

Think it part of the Hermann Hospital Group if I remember right.

If you wanted a short commute, that might be an great option.  Couple of exits then Ta Da - At work!!

Katy is a good area to live (good schools & Quality of Life) and home prices are MUCH more reasonable than those near the Medical Center.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 10:29:49 AM EDT
[#10]
One of you will get to commute

Find the right neighborhood for the family

(you would like Katy)
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 10:40:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You say that like its an exciting proposition!

I can (and do) walk the half mile quicker to work than drive it here on the outskirts of Houston.

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 10:58:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You say that like its an exciting proposition!

I can (and do) walk the half mile quicker to work than drive it here on the outskirts of Houston.

You are miles from the outskirts of Houston

If you are going to be in your car a long time buy a Mercedes!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top