Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2010 8:40:48 PM EDT
Got a very late start so I didn't expect to see any dove- and I was right.
I drove around some of the units and saw only a little damage to the gravel roads from the rain- runoff ruts. The only lake I checked was Clear Lake. The water is very high and I expect all of the lakes to be high. At Clear Lake there is a fishing dock. During the summer the dock is usually 8'-10' above the water level. Today it was about 3'-4' above water level. The bass were not hitting where I could get to- there was just too much newly flooded weeds for them to cruise for them to be where the dock is.
Hopefully a cold front will come through before the dove season ends. I think that's the only chance for birds up there.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:14:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Is this the grasslands near Decatur TX?

I used to camp and shoot there many many years ago until they closed it off to shooting. I assume it is still the same way?

At one point I was told they were going to build an area specifically for shooting, but I figured never in my lifetime.  It was worth the drive and I wish I could still shoot there.  
(PS: As I understand it shotguns and blackpowder is OK, but nothing else).

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:21:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes the LBJ Grasslands are near Decatur and Alvord. The units are not all connected and some are a fair distance from the next units. They are all old farms and orchards that went under in the depression. The feds bought the land and decided to let them go wild.
You can shoot shotgun, muzzleloader and archery only. No shooting in the Black Creek Lake area. There is also an archery only unit but I would have to check the website or a map to see which unit it is. There is one unit for shotgun target practice. There is no target shooting on any other unit- hunting only.
It is very different from what it was like back in the '60s and '70s when anything goes. No driving off the gravel roads due to the soil erosian problems.
There are several small lakes full of fish, turkey and deer all over. Just no dove.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:22:13 PM EDT
[#3]
If you ever want some company, I'd love to run up there with someone who knows the place.  Never been and I aim to get more familiar with that place.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:27:23 AM EDT
[#4]
The next time I go I will let you know and would be happy to show you around the place.
Jim
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top