Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2010 6:42:44 PM EDT
im going to buy an m4, but not sure of which ranges i can shhot it at? any ideas, thanks
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
im going to buy an m4, but not sure of which ranges i can shhot it at? any ideas, thanks
M4 (NFA aka Fully Automatic) ? Or do you mean an AR-15? (Semi automatic sporting rifle.)

also, where do you live? In the Houston Area, theres quite a few. The only places you cant around me, is Marksman Indoor Range and Best Shot Range.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:29:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

An M4 is no different than any other semi auto .223 rifle.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:23:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I live in dallas
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:39:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:47:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe semantics, but in case it isn't.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:33:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

From my understanding, a true M4 (lower & upper) is post 86 so only available to mil/leo.  There are semi configurations using an M4 upper.  With that said, AR15 are generic and interchangeable.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:45:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

From my understanding, a true M4 (lower & upper) is post 86 so only available to mil/leo.  There are semi configurations using an M4 upper.  With that said, AR15 are generic and interchangeable.

Not exactly, but whatever floats yer boat.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:04:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I just call my LMT ar15/m4gery an m4, since that's what it's modeled after.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:10:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you elaborate?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:17:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you elaborate?

You can get FA guns as as a regular guy with a C3 or SOT license.  And if we're going to be really specific a civilian M4 variant still lacks the 14.5" barrel, although that isn't an issue with a real deal FA M4.  

At the end of the day, I'll still consider AR15s that look like M4s ... AR15s.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:44:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you elaborate?

You can get FA guns as as a regular guy with a C3 or SOT license.  And if we're going to be really specific a civilian M4 variant still lacks the 14.5" barrel, although that isn't an issue with a real deal FA M4.  

At the end of the day, I'll still consider AR15s that look like M4s ... AR15s.

You CAN NOT get transferable post 86 machine guns as an individual and since the lower designates type of AR, which M4s were made well after 86.  Dealers don't count in this discussion because they must get a sample letter and hold these items as inventory.  And M4's don't take clips.

Now if I could only find a smoking deal on a transferable DIAS.

ETA:  In Texas, individuals get stamps, dealers get licenses.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 1:55:28 AM EDT
[#12]
AR 15's don't take clips either......they use magazines.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:09:15 AM EDT
[#13]
back on track,
call Mickey at Ammo Depot  for a lease key, ~$300/year
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:09:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you elaborate?

True at one time, bit somewhere along the way, Colt started stamping some Semi-Auto guns "M4" (6921 as a an example). As a result, "M4" stamping no longer always mean F/A. Thus it is possible to have a M4 marked Colt, that is not F/A.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 9:13:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you elaborate?

True at one time, bit somewhere along the way, Colt started stamping some Semi-Auto guns "M4" (6921 as a an example). As a result, "M4" stamping no longer always mean F/A. Thus it is possible to have a M4 marked Colt, that is not F/A.

Thanks for the correction, I was not aware of the change.  I knew somebody would chime in with more knowledge.

And back on track, if you like to shoot, spend the extra money for a key at Mickey's.  DFW crew will be shooting out there on the 26th and Mickey will allow day use for $15.  Check it out but keep in mind this is a field with no facilities so prepare accordingly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top