Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2010 10:17:05 AM EDT
My search fu is weak so I'm creating this new topic.

I'm looking for a martial arts school that caters to families for my daughter (6), my wife and myself to attend 2-3 times a week.  We are in Pville so we need something North.  If the dojo is more than 10 miles away I can see us not sticking to it.

I have a good friend who is an instructor with the Austin Karate school that is affiliated with the American Society of Karate.  But, they do not have classes that fit our schedule.  They have the kids class from 6-7 and then the adults class from 7-9 and we can't do that on school nights.  

So I'm looking for a school that will do a good job of teaching my daughter a martial art and have fun with it.  And offer an adult class that my wife and I can take for learning usable self defense and get a good workout.

I'm going to do some research but I don't know any of the schools around here other than the ASK classes and they are out due to scheduling.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:14:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump.  Nobody?
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:56:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I know of a very small school in the Anderson Mill area.
Self-defense focus, adults only (mature teens, perhaps), and so far only one nigh a week (Tues).

The instructor doesn't do it for money; he's in it for his own skills and progression.
- long time background in Tae Kwon Do
- long time background in Jujitsu and Judo

http://www.ammartialarts.com/
Currently there are three students. One or two more is the max size.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:56:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I know of a very small school in South Austin: Kenpo Karate on Congress just up from W. Cannon. I never attended that particular school (I went to the one in San Antonio) but know the system well and I sparred the head instructor once about 35 years ago (and yes, he beat the crap out of me when was 15!). His name is Brian Duffy and I have a couple of girls that I intend to enroll in a couple of years....
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:36:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't have any personal experience with them, but I've heard good things about Rabadi:

http://www.roundrockbjj.com/

He basically teaches BJJ and Muay Thai.  The kids class is followed by an hour adult class that would get you done by 8, which might still be too late.

I'm sure he'd let you watch or participate in a class to see if it's something you are interested in.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:24:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info guys.

South Austin is too far.  We are in Pflugerville so that puts it out of the question.

8pm is still too late on a week night for a 6 year old so the BJJ class would not work either.

I appreciate the responses.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:47:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Check out Aim and Focus Karate on Anderson Mill. They teach Tang Su doh (however that's spelled).

My best friend goes there and really likes it. He's been going for a couple of years now.
There's also a place in p-ville that teaches Krav Maga, on the road that goes behind tinseltown. It's near the advanced auto store.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top