Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2010 1:39:32 PM EDT
Anybody had any experience with this? Any transport companies?  Alabama into Texas.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 2:07:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anybody had any experience with this? Any transport companies?  Alabama into Texas.

Thanks.

Usually a funeral home will make those arrangements for you.  
They know the laws and the companies that handle the transportation.
They will ship the deceased to a funreral home here.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 2:28:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I already called the funeral home in Arlington and the guy I talked with didnt know squat, which I thought was unusual.  I just want to make sure what they eventually come up with is fair.  I know these funeral homes try to gouge you.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 4:52:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thanks, I already called the funeral home in Arlington and the guy I talked with didnt know squat, which I thought was unusual.  I just want to make sure what they eventually come up with is fair.  I know these funeral homes try to gouge you.

Yes they will, they know you just lost someone and you are not thinking clear.    

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:17:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Shop around and tell them you are taking bids.
You can get sold some stuff that would make you want to kill someone
like a foam copy of the grave stone for...   $500.00.
no shit.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:12:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I know when I worked for an airline loading bags, we had bodies all the time.  I would call an airline and see what they say.  You would need to talk with the cago department.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 7:51:56 AM EDT
[#6]
In Texas, you can buy a permit and do it yourself.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 2:55:48 PM EDT
[#7]
i think green view in fort worth does it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 3:17:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Before my mom died, she asked that I take my dad out for a new suit & pick out her grave site. First thing the guy ask pre-need or immediate. I as the dude driving us around (grounds keeper) the difference. He said about $500.00.

When my dad died both my brother & sister were really broke up as they were @ the hospital. I live out of state. At the funeral parlor I was making most of the calls on what I was willing to do. It was not the way the director would of liked to see things go. I opted for cremation, no viewing, no casket, very simple urn. The dude pissed me off on shit like $350.00 for a drive out to the V.A. cemetery. I really wanted my dad in the passenger seat of his car with me driving. Dude said it was against the law. I told him if I found out different, after I sued him; I would come for him as death.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 7:10:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys.   This unfortuantely happened a few days earlier than I was expecting.  Too many good fiolks going down and too many shitbirds still living.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 7:30:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh man, i am sorry.  I thought you were asking for a friend or client.
Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 8:29:22 PM EDT
[#11]
First, sorry for your loss.

My wife and I both did pre need policies in NE TX.  The funeral director actually gave us his map (probably the only one that existed-it was old and faded) and said-"Go pick out a couple of plots you like and come back here."  No pressure-and we had a clearly defined idea of the price.  It was sort of a hoot wandering the cemetery, with the wife going "Oh, I know that family-we don't want to be around them"  or "I went to school with their daughter-they're good folks" before finally setting on a couple of places near her friends family plots.  Her parents are in an adjacent, but full section-no room at the inn.  We even got deeds from the county for our plots-I guess I own land several places now.

Went back to the funeral home and wandered around the casket room (I was tempted to try one on but wife voted it down) and picked out two serviceable but economical boxes.  Cemetery doesn't require vaults but wife insisted, so we picked out a couple of blow-molded plastic vaults that look like inverted septic tanks (like who cares?)  She even got the casket with the rubber storm proof gasket, but I passed, thinkng what the heck, I'm in an alleged watertight vault anyway?  If I turn stinky they can bag me before the funeral-I want a closed lid anyway.

Worked out a mutually agreeable price for all the services we needed and it got financed with no interest for 3 years-about a third or less of the cost of buying a new car.  Never any pressure and we did it with cool heads and no emotion. The pre-need policy even provides for free burial of any of our grandchildren if they die before we do and they under 18.  Sort of bonus coverage thrown in, I guess.  We left with a little folder in which we could express any final wishes like where we wanted the service, music to be played, what you wanted to wear, etc.

You younger folks-this is the only way to go.  Just make sure you pick out where you want to be buried (although you can usually sell the plots back if you change your mind and transfer the policy to another provider.  Do it now and you are paid up and covered for the rest of your (hopefully long) life. If you are economy minded, you veterans can go to the VA cemeteries for free-still have to pay the funeral director to get you there, and they can "stack" you with your spouse. Whoever lives the longest gets to be on top!

Regarding the movement of bodies-I went straight to the horses mouth at the Texas Funeral Commission.  Anyone can get a body movement permit from a local funeral home and do their own transporting.  You can get a transport box (cardboard or styrofoam) and slide your embalmed loved (but frugal) one in the back of the van and away you go to the in-state funeral home of your choice where you can make your own arrangements.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top