Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2009 9:14:00 PM EDT
Anyone in the Dalhart, Dumas, Amarillo area?  How's the weather, any snow on the ground?  I am headed out from Austin in the am to Dalhart for pheasant.  I haven't been pheasant hunting since college and that was in Kansas and all I did was get drunk and walk all day, never even saw a bird.  Any good gun shops, BBQ, must sees that direction?  My GSP knows somethings up, he's sitting by my gun cases and keeps shaking with excitement.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 9:42:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Amarillo here, no snow, suppose to be in the lower 50s i think with a cool front coming through mid morning so there will be a little bit of wind out of the north, bring warm stuff because once the sun goes down it gets cold in a hurry.  As for gun shops, there is nothing spectacular, if you want some reasonably priced ammo you might stop at the Big R in Dumas, but here in Ama you really only have Gander Mnt that has EBR stuff and im sure you know how shitty and over priced that selection is, most of the others just deal in hunting guns and handguns or are pawn shops that sell used beat up guns at almost new prices.  As for BBQ don't stop at Cattle Call it sucks, The Country Barn on I40 across from the mall is probably the best is town also Dyers off Georgia and I40 is really good, as for must sees, i can't really think of any except the normal tourist stuff, The Big Texan "home of the 72 oz steak" and Cadillac ranch, if you have any other questions just shoot me a email, [email protected], i usually check that more often than this
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 9:48:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks man.  Appreciate the info.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:03:35 PM EDT
[#3]
How was the hunt?
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 4:19:59 AM EDT
[#4]
We hunt this morning, but got word of great pheasant numbers yesterday.  Post pics when we get back.  Off we go...
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 5:23:00 AM EDT
[#5]
have fun.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 10:38:59 PM EDT
[#6]
The trip was awesome. Our guide was amazing, truely a  stand up guy. He is an agronomist and has access to thousands of acres and he put us on the birds. We hunted around Dumas Fri and Sat and hunted in Spearman today. We got 36 birds total. Weather could have been a little colder but definitley the best pheasant hunt I have ever been on. Sometimes you get a guide that goes through the motions but Tim was there to make sure we were having a good time and seeing lots of birds. They were really skiddish, just the sound of our truck would send them flying so we had to do a lot of walking, I mean a lot!  I don't think I have ever been this sore. We have been driving for 7 hours and have 3 left. Will post pics later today.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 9:27:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Hunted north of Dalhart opening weekend. Lots of birds, skittish as hell. Killed my share though. You had better weather than we had! Glad to hear it was a good hunt.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 7:05:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Here are some pics from our Dumas and Spearman hunt.  We walked probably 10 miles of corn and milo fields a day, I don't think I have ever been this sore in my life but it was worth every step.  34 birds in two days

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top