Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2009 4:16:11 PM EDT
A few years back I bought a rifle from ORF and had it transferred to a dealer in East Texas.  The total cost of my transfer - excluding the sales price and shipping, which I paid ORF - was $20.  I was told by a local dealer that the cost of doing a transfer is the transfer fee + 8.25% sales tax on the price of the firearm.

Is this right?  If so, when did this change occur?

Link Posted: 10/29/2009 4:27:02 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

A few years back I bought a rifle from ORF and had it transferred to a dealer in East Texas.  The total cost of my transfer - excluding the sales price and shipping, which I paid ORF - was $20.  I was told by a local dealer that the cost of doing a transfer is the transfer fee + 8.25% sales tax on the price of the firearm.

No.

In fact, you do not even pay sales tax on the service of the xfer.

Dogtown has the link.

Edit:

Found it.

http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinfo/taxpnw/tpn2009/tpn902.html#issue8

Firearms Sold by Out-of-State Dealers: Transfer Fees Charged by Texas Dealers

When a gun is purchased from out of state by an individual in Texas, federal law provides that the out-of-state seller must ship the gun to a Texas dealer for transfer to the individual.

Frequently, the Texas dealer will charge the purchaser a transfer fee to cover the costs of paperwork and handling. Because the gun was not purchased from the Texas dealer, the transfer fee does not represent a sale. Therefore, the transfer fee is not taxable.

For example, assume an individual paid $1,500 to an out-of-state seller for a gun. The out-of-state seller shipped the gun to a Texas gun dealer. The customer picked up the gun at the Texas dealer's place of business and was charged a $25 transfer fee by the dealer. The $25 transfer fee is not considered a sale for Texas sales and use tax purposes and therefore is not subject to sales tax.

Link Posted: 10/29/2009 4:34:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I'm an FFL.

There is no Texas Sales Tax paid on a firearm purchased out of state and transfered to a Texas FFL.

Unless.............the firearm was purchased from a seller who has a business location in Texas. For example, Cabelas has an online gun library showing firearms from several of its stores in various states. If a Texan buys a gun from an out of state Cabelas, it will be Cabelas who is responsible for collecting Texas sales tax, not your local FFL.

Texas Use Tax is another story- but an FFL does not collect the tax.

http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinfo/sales/faq_use.html#use3
3. Do I owe tax on goods purchased via mail-order catalogs or Internet merchandise?
Yes. A seller who uses catalogs or the Internet to sell goods is treated the same as any other seller of taxable items. If you purchase merchandise through a catalog or the Internet from a seller located in Texas, you owe Texas sales tax on the purchase. If you purchase merchandise through a catalog or the Internet from a seller located outside of Texas and use the taxable item in Texas, then you owe Texas use tax on the purchase. An out-of-state mail-order company or an Internet company may hold a Texas Sales and Use tax permit and collect Texas tax. If the out-of-state seller does not have a Texas permit or does not collect Texas use tax, the use tax is due and payable by the purchaser.

I don't think I've ever met anyone who has actualy paid Texas Use Tax.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 4:35:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

In fact, you do not even pay sales tax on the service of the xfer.

Dogtown has the link.

Edit: Found it:

http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxinfo/taxpnw/tpn2009/tpn902.html#issue8

Firearms Sold by Out-of-State Dealers: Transfer Fees Charged by Texas Dealers

When a gun is purchased from out of state by an individual in Texas, federal law provides that the out-of-state seller must ship the gun to a Texas dealer for transfer to the individual.

Frequently, the Texas dealer will charge the purchaser a transfer fee to cover the costs of paperwork and handling. Because the gun was not purchased from the Texas dealer, the transfer fee does not represent a sale. Therefore, the transfer fee is not taxable.

For example, assume an individual paid $1,500 to an out-of-state seller for a gun. The out-of-state seller shipped the gun to a Texas gun dealer. The customer picked up the gun at the Texas dealer's place of business and was charged a $25 transfer fee by the dealer. The $25 transfer fee is not considered a sale for Texas sales and use tax purposes and therefore is not subject to sales tax.

Thanks!  I thought the guy was blowing smoke - wanted to charge another $40 plus on top of the transfer fee.  Don't mind a guy making money off a transfer considering he's got to keep the paperwork nearly forever but this guy was plain lying about it.  

Link Posted: 10/29/2009 4:40:05 PM EDT
[#4]
NAME NAMES!
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 6:35:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

NAME NAMES!

It's the guy listed under 'Dallas/Mesquite' here: http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=522

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 1:23:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
NAME NAMES!

It's the guy listed under 'Dallas/Mesquite' here: http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=522

Question...How do I get my name on the FFL list?
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 6:01:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
NAME NAMES!

Do something dishonest?  

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 6:04:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
NAME NAMES!

IM or e-mail soowah

Link Posted: 10/30/2009 5:23:31 PM EDT
[#9]
This guy?

Dallas/Mesquite     Texas Star Gun Sales       3501 Point East Dr.           (972) 270-3012 $20  12/21/2002  Walter Pennington

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:09:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Yup
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:13:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This guy?

Dallas/Mesquite     Texas Star Gun Sales       3501 Point East Dr.           (972) 270-3012 $20  12/21/2002  Walter Pennington

Walter is still around?!

mm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top