Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2009 11:42:03 AM EDT
I am heading to my mother's house this weekend and she would like me to show her how to handle a firearm.  I am hoping to find a range that allows handgun and shotgun.  

Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 12:22:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag, cause I'd like to know as well.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 12:59:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess times have changed, when I lived there we would go to one of our favorite calachie pits and shoot for hours. Great place to find some big rattlers in early spring also.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 1:03:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought that in West Texas people would just go out in the desert and shoot.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 1:31:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I thought that in West Texas people would just go out in the desert and shoot.

Until you go on to the property of the old guy that's gone crazy and likes to shoot back at you.  Had that happen once growing up.  Decided it was time to find someone else's property to go shoot on.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 2:21:08 PM EDT
[#5]
i have shot skeet at Midland Shooters Association, but it was an event. I dont know if it is members only they do have a web sight.
MSA

Im from San Angelo, so I do make it Midland/Odessa quite a bit. There is a 1k range in Sweetwater

Link Posted: 6/10/2009 5:04:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Used to live in Hobbs, New Mexico.  There was a range in Notrees, Texas, west of Odessa toward Kermit. Shot IHMSA silhouette there third Sunday of every month.  Notrees is just a hole in the road and if I remember correctly there was a radio tower right next to the range.  It was on the North side of the road just west of Notrees.

NOTREES, TEXAS
Ector County, West Texas
Hwy 302
21 miles NW of Odessa
21 miles E of Kermit via 302
Population : 338

Map to Notrees
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 9:51:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies.  I am surprised to say the pickings look slim.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 10:09:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I guess times have changed, when I lived there we would go to one of our favorite calachie pits and shoot for hours. Great place to find some big rattlers in early spring also.

+1 Thats all I do  I'm in Crane (30 min S of Odessa) most of the county is owned by the Univ. of Texas, so we can pretty much go into any hole in the ground and have a blast.  

I'm pretty sure that MSA is members only except IDPA, which is this Saturday, and other public events
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 10:47:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm going to bump this one last time in hopes someone can give me a lead.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 11:46:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 Thats all I do
I'm in Crane (30 min S of Odessa) most of the county is owned by the Univ. of Texas, so we can pretty much go into any hole in the ground and have a blast.

I'm pretty sure that MSA is members only except IDPA, which is this Saturday, and other public events

Unfortuantely this is correct.

They changed their rules a couple of years ago and now membership is a pain in the ass.  You must take a day long "safety" class and sign a waiver releasing the association of ALL range liability, up to and including gross negligence.

It's not the place it used to be, i am sorry to say.

Unfortunately, i know of no other pistol or rifle ranges in the area.  If i was in town i'd take you out, but alas i am not.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 12:55:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Used to live in Hobbs, New Mexico.  There was a range in Notrees, Texas, west of Odessa toward Kermit. Shot IHMSA silhouette there third Sunday of every month.  Notrees is just a hole in the road and if I remember correctly there was a radio tower right next to the range.  It was on the North side of the road just west of Notrees.

NOTREES, TEXAS
Ector County, West Texas
Hwy 302
21 miles NW of Odessa
21 miles E of Kermit via 302
Population : 338

Map to Notrees

Yep,  I grew up in Odessa.  It used to be an NRA Members only range.  I believe it was affiliated with the Sandhills Pistol Club.

My dad, brother and I were locals out there in the '80s.  Shot my first M-16 out there at the age of 6.  There was also a great "old" guy named Bill that was a blast to be around.  He'd show up in an old International with the back full of surplus rifles and ammo.  Good old boy has probably passed by now.

That's the range I caught BRD on.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:22:52 AM EDT
[#12]
The Notrees range is no longer open.  It seems the only range in the area is the MSA range.

It's a nice range, but it does have a half day orientation, that they only hold on Saturday.

Fee's are $100/yr.

Just posting this info in case anyone else needs it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top