Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2007 1:58:23 AM EDT
Going down there this weekend wondering if any locals know if it's posted or will be posted or has been in the past?

I know it's held on public streets but the last time I went a few years back they had "gates" set up at the entrances.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 2:26:33 PM EDT
[#1]
from what i have heard dickens has been getting a little wild and the guys that run it are trying to tone it down and make it more of a family atmosphere.  drinking only in bars, no loud music, no titties etc.  they will be tightening security and have a lot more roving patrols.  

based on this i would proceed with caution.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 3:52:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I have checked their website and found nothing, I am taking my wife saturday and plan to carry, so if you have to turn around at the gate at least you will know that you were not alone!!!  
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:07:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have checked their website and found nothing, I am taking my wife saturday and plan to carry, so if you have to turn around at the gate at least you will know that you were not alone!!!  

True, we are going Saturday as well.

Another question, if they are not 30.06 but they are wanding people do ya'll usually pull one of the officers off to the side to tell them? The wand will pick it up I know and I'd hate to scare the ever living shit out of them.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:29:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I have not had to deal with that problem yet, but if I see a wand in use I will have my CHL in hand by the time they get to me.  That way there won't be any suprise.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 4:54:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I think I'll do your plan.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 9:10:31 AM EDT
[#6]
We are in Galveston every weekend.  Got a weekend cottage in town.
Have not been to Dickens before...going this Saturday for the first time.
At all the other "street" events there, it has not been posted.  I saw one beer vendor set up at Lone Star Rally in the street with a 30.06 stapled up in the back of his booth.  (I wonder how that could be enforced on a public street?) Otherwise, no signs except inside the bars.

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:34:16 PM EDT
[#7]
For anyone else that is planning to go tomorrow, it is not.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:38:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Can you get hot cider in Dickens? That would be hot Dickens' cider.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:27:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I dunno, considering it was 75 I wouldn't have wasted my time with hot cider personally.

It's lame as all hell now though. We stayed for about 30 mins and left. Went to Houston and did stuff there.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:49:51 AM EDT
[#10]
+1 on the lameness factor.  

MrsKyReb and I spent $24 to get in.  We would up in our usual watering hole watching football.  Could have done without the extra $24 cover charge.

MrsKyReb wanted to do some Christmas shopping in town yesterday.  We would have had to pay the $24 again to do so.

We wound up hitting the malls in Houston instead.  I went along as "security".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top