Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2007 3:15:12 PM EDT
I don't know if anybody around Abilene would be interested but I was looking through some gov't auctions and found this.  

fired brass
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 4:22:30 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I don't know if anybody around Abilene would be interested but I was looking through some gov't auctions and found this.  

fired brass

It'd be neat to win one of those.....
but you will have bid against the recyclers and other wide-eyed shooters.  Also, with many military surplus auctions, you have to remove the item by the end of the business day of the auction.

A friend of mine at Ft. Lewis had the winning bid on about 600(8 pallets with Gaylord boxes) IBM Selectric typewriters in 1993.  He had a small Toyota pickup, that thing was sagging on the ground when got it loaded up...along with mine and 1 other pickup truck.  I wish I had a picture of us hauling all those typewriters to Puyallup.

mm

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 4:37:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 4:44:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been tracking brass on that site and it will hit 10,000 in a flash...

but if you sale it for 60 buck per 14 pound =$$$$$
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 4:45:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:05:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Texas Infidel and I tried to bid one of these auctions for 50 brass in Ft Bliss recently. When the auction opens it will require you to place a $10,000 (!) CASH/M.O. deposit before you bid. I passed.

Why?

A lot of people will bid on an item never intending to purchase it.  It is fairly common with auctions, several of the local automobile(Can Academy comes to mind) require from $100 to $250 deposit.  The GSA auction in FtW requires a deposit, and a couple of the local gov't auction require a deposit, Plano will let you use a tolltag.

mm
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:11:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:20:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Texas Infidel and I tried to bid one of these auctions for 50 brass in Ft Bliss recently. When the auction opens it will require you to place a $10,000 (!) CASH/M.O. deposit before you bid. I passed.

Why?

A lot of people will bid on an item never intending to purchase it.  It is fairly common with auctions, several of the local automobile(Can Academy comes to mind) require from $100 to $250 deposit.  The GSA auction in FtW requires a deposit, and a couple of the local gov't auction require a deposit, Plano will let you use a tolltag.

mm

Not "why do they require a deposit"

"Why did you pass on the deal just because of the deposit"

If you dont win... I am sure you get the money back.

oh....yes, absolutely...you get your money back...no question.  I have seen nor been to an auction where getting the money back was a problem.

mm
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:15:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Not all brass auctions require a $10,000 deposit.  Generally, when they are under 5,000 pounds they don't require anything unusual.

Most auctions make you load out within 2 weeks.  You have to read the particular auction terms to know for sure how soon you have to pay and take possession.

This auction is for roughly 1.5 tons of brass.  We could haul this off in 2 pickup trucks.  The best things about it are the relatively small quantity, the lack of a mutilation clause, and they are not mentioning anything about a FFL requirement.

I might be bidding on this one.

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:18:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:44:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Not all brass auctions require a $10,000 deposit.  Generally, when they are under 5,000 pounds they don't require anything unusual.

Most auctions make you load out within 2 weeks.  You have to read the particular auction terms to know for sure how soon you have to pay and take possession.

This auction is for roughly 1.5 tons of brass.  We could haul this off in 2 pickup trucks.  The best things about it are the relatively small quantity, the lack of a mutilation clause, and they are not mentioning anything about a FFL requirement.

Thanks for the info, I was tring to bid on 21K lbs of .50 brass and assumed that the scrap dealers would pay the going rate. I was going to lowball it and when I had to put the deposit down I just said forget it. + SP1grrl threatend physical harm if I went crazy on the auction.

That might be fun.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 6:15:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 6:31:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the info, I was tring to bid on 21K lbs of .50 brass and assumed that the scrap dealers would pay the going rate. I was going to lowball it and when I had to put the deposit down I just said forget it. + SP1grrl threatend physical harm if I went crazy on the auction.

That might be fun.

Listen, These are your new orders when you get to the sandbox:

Locate .50 brass

Locate conex box

Fill total volume of conex with recovered .50 brass

Ship conex to me.

I will load for your Barrett while you are gone. I should have 50 to 60 rounds of ammo for you by the time you get back.

deal...
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 6:50:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I did a search and there are a bunch of auctions there for fired brass...one has 41K lbs and there is a bid of 20K on it...wish I had the time and money!!
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 7:28:57 PM EDT
[#14]
41000 pounds of brass?  

Group Buy!!  

Who's in for a half a ton?

ETA:  You guys do know that on brass and some other items you have to apply for and be issued an end user certificate before they will accept payment.  Hobbyist/collector is considered an appropriate end use, though it might look a little funny for an individual to be buying 20.5 tons of brass for personal consumption unless you are casting a statue or something.

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 9:15:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I talked to the guys at Summit munitions so take this for what you paid for it.  

They said that they now do physical inspections on the brass at the auctions because so much of it (in 50 BMG) is in such bad shape at the .gov auctions..  Up to 60% and more was having to be tossed and the scap vendors are buying to smelt it down where he wants it to reload and sell.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top