Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2006 5:35:53 AM EDT
Can a person from another state buy ammo in Texas.
Guy at Wallyworld and a guy at Sportsman wharehouse told my wife she couldn't buy ammuntion because she has a Florida ID.
Never heard of that before.  Sounds like bs to me, but that is what they told her.
Just wondering.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:39:44 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Guy at Wallyworld and a guy at Sportsman wharehouse told my wife she couldn't buy ammuntion because she has a Florida ID.
Never heard of that before.  Sounds like bs to me, but that is what they told her.
Just wondering.

That sounds like bull shit !!. I just got my Texas ID and I bought more ammo at 12:00am than any body. And I had a Louisiana ID
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:24:22 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Just wondering.

That doesn't sound right.  I rarely, if ever, get asked for ID when buying ammo.

But we do have a minimum purchase requirement....so don't try to get off by buying only 20 rds of centerfire or less than 500 rds of rimfire.  

mm
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:26:13 AM EDT
[#3]
How old is she?

Why would they even ask where she is from?

Go to a funshop, should be no problem.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:53:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:00:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I agerr with the total B.S. statement. I think TRG hit it right on ... Age is the only requirement.
21pistol 18 rifle ... ( stupid law any way )  rifles in " pistol" cal. and pistols in "rifle" cal.

on a side note back when I was under 21 I would buy "pistol" ammo at  walley world with this " I have a rifle in (9mm or other "pistol"cal) and if it is intended for a rifle then it is rifle ammo. if they say no ask for manager.  

Invisible soul
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:41:15 AM EDT
[#6]
There is no Texas or Federal law requiring this, that I aware of.  However, there could be a store policy.... but I doubt it.

More likely just a couple dumbasses.

GCA - 68:

(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver:

(1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;

Texas law has age restrictions on transfer of firearms (all 18) but very few ammunition restrictions.... none of which are age or resident related (intoxication, felons)  Texas law specifically does state we can co to *contiguous* states to purchase weapons and ammunition, but doesnt outlaw us from buying ammo in non-contigous states.

Unless Flordia has a state law against purchasing ammo while in other states (which they cant possibly have), these companies are flat wrong.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:48:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:31:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Texas law has age restrictions on transfer of firearms (all 18) but very few ammunition restrictions.... none of which are age or resident related .

Age restrictions on handgun ammo.

TRG

Prove it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:17:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:11:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:33:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks guys. She is 26 so more than old enough.
Just making sure some law didn't pop up.
All she wanted to buy was some .22LR..lol
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:42:20 PM EDT
[#12]
bs
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:38:52 PM EDT
[#13]
last time I asked about ammo someone suggest that I tell them it wasn't for a handgun, it was for a Submachine gun. I thought that would be funny as hell.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:43:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:19:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:04:16 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Texas law has age restrictions on transfer of firearms (all 18) but very few ammunition restrictions.... none of which are age or resident related .

Age restrictions on handgun ammo.

TRG

Prove it.

Bite me.

TRG

That's what I thought.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top